Yuma OK on the sand?

meowzer

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/3046598
You betcha I will, and I will copy and paste the reply verbatum, but I'm still scratching my head over it:
Hello,
That is a fantastic rhodactis in the picture. We have never had a pink rhodactis in this building, this was verified by the coral manager.
Thanks for your e-mail.

I'm totally baffled by the reply.

Sue
HMMM...Well we now know it's a rhodactis...LOL...SO TELL US SUE...Where did you really get it

sueandherzoo

Well I've got it narrowed down to two possibilities:
Someone intercepted the Fed Ex package after it left the SWF.com plant but before it got to my doorstep, carefully opened the box, rummaged through all the livestock to find the bag with the yuma in it, stealthily replaced my yuma with this rhodactis, neatly resealed the package, and put it back on the Fed Ex truck.
Or..... perhaps I'm a psychopathic schizophrenic who leads a totally other life -- I probably visited LFS's up and down the coast until I found a rhodactis, then came home and replaced the yuma with the rhodactis just to mess with my other half's mind. If that's the case, I wonder what I did with the yuma??????
I'm off to go search the house.
Sue

meowzer

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/3046699
Well I've got it narrowed down to two possibilities:
Someone intercepted the Fed Ex package after it left the SWF.com plant but before it got to my doorstep, carefully opened the box, rummaged through all the livestock to find the bag with the yuma in it, stealthily replaced my yuma with this rhodactis, neatly resealed the package, and put it back on the Fed Ex truck.
Or..... perhaps I'm a psychopathic schizophrenic who leads a totally other life -- I probably visited LFS's up and down the coast until I found a rhodactis, then came home and replaced the yuma with the rhodactis just to mess with my other half's mind. If that's the case, I wonder what I did with the yuma??????
I'm off to go search the house.
Sue

...Well it may not be what you ordered...lol...But it sure is pretty...
so odd though...

sueandherzoo

. . . but for them to say they've never had one there? This is the only place I order livestock from so there's no chance I'm confused - it was in the box with the other stuff I ordered. And I could understand a mistake in filling my order, but to claim they've never had one of these?????
Alien abduction?
Sue

soulsigma

It could have been a special gift from their vendor for one of the associates, which got mixed in with your order by mistake
or one of the associate at SWF special ordered for themselves and some one packed and shipped it out to you by accident
anywho just pack it up and send it to me, I'll pay the shipping and give you a little something to assist you in purchasing the Yuma which is what you really want

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by soulsigma
http:///forum/post/3046797
It could have been a special gift from their vendor for one of the associates, which got mixed in with your order by mistake
or one of the associate at SWF special ordered for themselves and some one packed and shipped it out to you by accident
anywho just pack it up and send it to me, I'll pay the shipping and give you a little something to assist you in purchasing the Yuma which is what you really want

Wow - what a generous offer on your part - you're too kind! However I think I'll bite the bullet and learn to cope with my mis-fortune. I have to worry, though..... is this thing too big for a 14 gallon biocube? I don't want to put it in my 55 gallon but maybe move it to my horse tank?
Sue

spanko

Before you decide to put it any where or even keep it please be aware that these corallimorpharians are capable and do eat fish. Do a search on it and you will see many instances of it.
"Order Corallimorpharia: Coral anemones. Solitary or colonial, flattened mushroom-like anemones. Short, stubby tentacles radially arranged. Look like true corals, but lack skeletons. About ten families. Most common genera Actinodiscus, Ricordea, Corynactis, Rhodactis, Amplexidiscus. (the last two can eat unwary fishes... commonly clowns) Individual polyps 1 inch to 1 foot across."
They do grow extremely large. Here are some quotes;
"Generally, mushrooms feed heavily, but primarily through the absorption of dissolved organics with a little feeding on small creatures. There are some mushrooms, namely the Elephant Ears, Amplexidiscus & Rhodactis, that are capable of eating large fish. Steven Pro"
"This is one mushroom anemone I would not recommend. I have one and have not been able to keep any gobies or blennies in the same tank, as they will eventually meet their fate as food for these large mushrooms, due to their habit of 'resting' on corals. Elephant ear mushroom anemones have a potent sting, which stuns the fish, and then they just roll up around it, trapping the fish so they can slowly digest it."

taznut

this is... interesting.... i ordered my CUC from this site a couple of days ago and it is arriving in a couple of mins... hope they messed up and sent me something cool... kinda sucks that it might eat your fish, but it looks cool...

spanko

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3047433
SPANKO!!!!! You mean the green rhodactis I just got could eat my fish?????

Tis why research could be a problem if you don't do it upfront. Got some silverside? Lay one on your Rhodactis and see what happens. Then reread the post I made and pay attention to the fact that they have a potent sting, they and anemone are of the same ilk:
Phylum Cnidaria:
Stinging-celled animals. Anemones, corals, sea fans, jellyfishes, sea pens... Polyps and/or medusae stages
Class Anthozoa:
Class Anthozoa: Polyp stage only, stomach divided in numerous compartments
Sub-Class Zoantharia (Hexacorallia):
More than eight and multiples of six tentacles.
Order Corallimorpharia:
Coral anemones. Solitary or colonial, flattened mushroom-like anemones. Short, stubby tentacles radially arranged. Look like true corals, but lack skeletons. About ten families. Most common genera Actinodiscus, Ricordea, Corynactis, Rhodactis, Amplexidiscus. (the last two can eat unwary fishes... commonly clowns) Individual polyps 1 inch to 1 foot across.

meowzer

The Green Mushroom Corals are also referred to as Mushroom Anemones and Disc Anemones. This variety of mushroom coral is various shades of green. They are a wonderful invertebrate for bottom placement in a reef aquarium. Over time, they will reproduce, forming a carpet covering the rockwork and sand.
They are hardy and easy to maintain. In general, they need a medium light level, and should be placed lower in the tank if the light intensity is high. These mushrooms require a low to moderate indirect water flow. Too much water movement will inhibit these mushrooms to fully expand. They are semi-aggressive and require adequate space between themselves and other corals and sessile invertebrates.
The Green Mushroom receives most of its nutritional requirements through symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body which provide the majority of its nutritional requirements through photosynthesis. It also feeds on other nutrients and particulate matter and benefits from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp fed to each polyp of the colony.
OR
The Rhodactis Hairy Mushroom is a member of the order Corallimorpharia and occurs in many colors including brown and tan, and the more colorful green. Like the name suggests, the surface of these mushrooms are covered with many hair-like tentacles, giving it a hairy appearance.
It is very easy to maintain in the reef aquarium, and a good choice for the beginner hobbyist. It is somewhat aggressive, however, and can harm sessile invertebrates and overgrow other inhabitants of the reef. It often grows in shallow water, so it prefers a medium to high light level combined with a medium water movement within the aquarium.
It reproduces by fission or laceration, and will do so in the home aquarium provided that water conditions are adequate, sometimes causing over-population. A small portion of the base or mouth will separate from the parent polyp and grow into a full sized mushroom within a few months.
The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body provide some of its nutritional requirements, but it also eats plankton and some larger organisms.
SEEEEE...I did read stuff....I don't see where it says it eats fishies..
I guess I am just not looking in the right places for information

spanko

Originally Posted by meowzer
SEEEEE...I did read stuff....I don't see where it says it eats fishies..
I guess I am just not looking in the right places for information

Do you have a good coral book? I would suggest
Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History (Paperback)
by Eric H. Borneman
I would also suggest that one not rely solely on the information for fish or coral or anything else given by retailers, whether LFS of On-Line sites. Fenner's site wet web media is a good site for fairly impartial information, as well as searches of real life experiences of other aquarists.
Sorry to sound like I am
but..................oh well.

meowzer

LOL....Thanks, your info and advice is ALWAYS appreciated..I am adding that book to my EVER GROWING list...as a matter of fact I may be ordering a few things today...I am looking for LONG plastic tweezers to feed my corals...I am tired of being Damsel food

sueandherzoo

Thanks, Henry.... I'm not sure what I (or anyone else!) would do without you!
I haven't heard back from my last e-mail to swf.com asking them if they wanted me to return this or if they were going to send the coral I originally ordered so I"m assuming this will be staying with me. After reading your info I definitely don't want to move it to my seahorse tank and I probably shouldn't think about moving it into the 55 gallon, either, because there are two anemones in there. Who knows - there could be toxic chemical warfare if this thing I got is part of the anemone family.
The only two fish I have in the 14 gallon biocube is a small damsel and a clown. I think I'll take my chances - I'm not overly attached to either one - the 14 gallon is just a place for corals. If it gets too big too fast, however, I may have to ask my LFS to make me an offer.
Thanks for the info!
Sue