zero impact

tmgpp

hey all,
I will be starting a 12 gal. zero impact reef. i was wondering about tank raised inverts, the lfs isn't very smart.

tmgpp

oh ya, i want a pair of clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and hermit crabs.
also a soft coral or two that have been in the tank for several generations

bonebrake

All hermits that I know of are collected from the wild.
The clowns, cleaner shrimp, and corals should be easy to find online.
:joy:

tmgpp

ya thanks i went around to a few lfs and they said that i would be hard to find the hermits. i bought my nano cube

tmgpp

if people take out all of the filtration like the rings, and bio balls, and some the sponge even what filters are left?

michaeltx

natural filters of live rock and live sand and current will act as the filtration for the tank. just need a skimmer to go along with it. its a very good filtration method.
mike

jacksonpt

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
All hermits that I know of are collected from the wild.
The clowns, cleaner shrimp, and corals should be easy to find online.
:joy:
yep
Originally Posted by Bonebrake

All you need is live rock and water movement.

yep

bang guy

Originally Posted by tmgpp
aquacultured live rock is something i havnt seen in the LFS.
I think the Gulf-View or Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock can be considered to be aquacultured.

tmgpp

hey,
is it posable to get good rock that has never been in the ocean, not even on farms? is it exceptable to get dead rock and just add gravel from other tanks, Cycle, and a dead shrimp?

d0 thy d3w

yeah..it just wont grow cool stuff on it as quickly..but its gotta be really porus rock..because if u just go pick up a few rocks from ur garden theyre not gunna do u any good..theylly just look ugly and take up space...unless maybe u live by a volcano..and u can get lave rock...that would be sweet!

tmgpp

ya,
i think that i will do that, should i add cycle if i do that or anything else to get the bio going?

d0 thy d3w

depends on which type of star u get..id say most probably stay small..but then again ive only had a sand sifting star...i know in the wild sum species can gro to be huge!!! i live sumwhat near seattle...so the puget sound isnt to far..and my second uncle lives directly on the sound (portludlo) and anyways..whis walkin upon the beach where he lives u can find all different speicies of stars..sum in the sand..sum on big pieces of LR waying 3,000pounds or more..(weight of rock..not star..lol) but anyways i once found this huge star in the sand in about 8 inches of water...lets just say it could easily wrap its arms all the way around a basketball...and its arms would be overlapping...i think ill do a google on starfish..and see if i can find that species and post a pic! their way cool..but sorry i couldnt really help..just thought that i would share that story! =)

d0 thy d3w

thats super hecka lame..the one picture that i found..that even remotely looks the the giant star i found cant even be posted on here...i saved it to my computer and then trie dto upload it..and it said there was an error and it cant load that file type...oh well..u should do a search on them later..or at least research what type of star u plan on keeping..and get all the facts, knowledge and opinions that are available! keep on reefing! :happyfish