zero impact

bonebrake

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Where are you guys finding aquacultured Cleaner Shrimp?
Bang, I was under the impression that nearly all skunk cleaner shrimp were aquacultured. I don't remember the source for this information.
:notsure:
:joy:

tmgpp

i purchased my sand today, but wont be able to get anything else for a wile. i have a very limited budjet being only 16 and not having a job. i make my money when i get money for lunch, and eat nothing.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Bang, I was under the impression that nearly all skunk cleaner shrimp were aquacultured. I don't remember the source for this information.
:notsure:
:joy:
I don't believe any of them are. If you can find a reference can you let me know so I can update my brain?
thx
I'm not aware of anyone besides me that was able to aquaculture Skunk Cleaners and after 4 months work I was only able to grow 2.

tmgpp

well if you have done it then it is posable. i have looked them up online, but have not found anything. you should go into the business. i will purchase one from you

bang guy

Originally Posted by tmgpp
well if you have done it then it is posable. i have looked them up online, but have not found anything. you should go into the business. i will purchase one from you
For me to obtain a fair return on investment I would have to charge $2,500 apiece. I don't think it would be wise for me to pursue them as an aquaculture proposition.

tmgpp

do you know any good reef safe inverts that are aquacultured that would be sutible for this sized tank, any urchins?

michaeltx

There are 2 different species that are commonly called asterina stars one is bad and will eat corals the other is very beneificial not usre on the names though. ophiura will know though.
Mike

ophiura

Originally Posted by tmgpp
a google search shows Asterina Starfish not to be reef safe, and that they eat coral

This is not really so, as a GENERAL statement. In fact MOST are harmless, and very few are problematic.
There are dozens of species of Asterina, nearly all almost identical. Even seastar experts can not identify them by arm number, color, size, etc. They are NOT all coral eaters, and it is, in fact, rare to find one in the hobby that is. The majority of people with LR have these animals, and rarely do they become problems. They are not animals that "suddenly" start eating corals...they either do or don't. Most people find them on the glass and rockwork, where they are consuming algal/bacterial films. Indeed, with increased nutrient loads, you will get an increase in population.
The more frequent problem people may have - though still quite uncommon - is they eat coralline algae. In most tanks, this is likely a blessing.
It is rare, quite rare, to get a species that eats SPS corals or soft corals. I have loads of these stars, (and did when I did not have corals) and have no issues, as do the majority of hobbyists who report having them. There is one site in particular that hypes the negative side. I did send that link to a seastar expert and he refuted many of the statements made.
There is no doubt - there are some coral eating species but you can not identify them except by behavior - they will eat corals. Not some days, not now and then...ALWAYS. But they will also eat DYING corals long before we may be aware there is a problem.
By all means keep an eye out, but if you try and remove them on a whim, or hype, you will take much of the joy out of this hobby. They are very difficult to erradicate, and it is almost almost always unnecessary. Most people have those that are just a cool, normal, natural part of the ecosystem and nice to have in a tank.

tmgpp

how should i seed rock if i dont use live rock? b/c even the aquacultured lr comes from the ocean.

ophiura

Well, it depends what you mean be LR.
In its basic form, LR is nothing more than porous rock that is a substrate for bacteria growth, in which case, you need virtually nothing to seed it except an ammonia source.
If you mean LR in terms of the critters...then put it in a tank and add live sand from an established system - it may have been wild at one time, but after several months, the turn over and reproduction means that the critters are "tank raised" in that sand. They will colonize the LR. Overall you may never see the diversity you might find in "wild" rock, but probably would never know either way.