Zooanthid growth Race!!!!

grumpygils

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
I agree. Stability will most likley beat all other factors. This isnt very scientific but it should be fun.
Winning prize is Mad Props, thats about it, so I dont think it really matters except for bragging rights. Everyone gets the zoos so I dont think it really matters about lighting being "fair", it will be fun to sorta mythbust in a way about the different delivery methods for low light things such as zoos.
I also think I will switch from my position in my little reef to my little nano with the swirly bulb. This lets in an extra participent and also doesnt compromise or give me the home field since I would still have to acclimate like everyone else when I put into the nano
1- solid MH
1- Solid T5
1- Solid PC
1- Walmart Swirly (tecnically I think it would be considered PC but you know what I mean)
Ill draw from the names later this evening.
I also have the Walmart special on my QT tank, but wouldn't want to torture them!
Mogul MH 2 X 175 100G Frag 2 months
MH 175 HQI 24G Nano 6 months
195W PC on 29G ~2 yrs
175 HQI and 260 PC 54G ~1.5 yrs
250 Mogul MH and 350 VHO 92G ~2 yrs
Mc

m0nk

It's a shame I can't get in on this one, I won't have my 55 gallon setup and ready for zoas for a while....
I don't think my 12 gallon would really get them growing fast enough to race anyone. I will certainly be watching this though.

ryanhayes9

please add me in. got a 75 gallon with t5 AND there individually reflected. you should have 2 categories for t5. reflected and non reflceted

ifirefight

130 gallon, 2 - 175 10k MH 2- 160 VHOs...........BOTH MH bulbs are brand new 2 days ago. With brand new spider reflectors.

bronco300

thats true, i just thought it was a test to see what lights grow better, but race indeed up to the contestant

P

pasphotography

very cool... I have been checking the post and suprised at the interest in the test / race / grow comparisons.

grumpygils

I agree. Stability will most likley beat all other factors. This isnt very scientific but it should be fun.
Winning prize is Mad Props, thats about it, so I dont think it really matters except for bragging rights. Everyone gets the zoos so I dont think it really matters about lighting being "fair", it will be fun to sorta mythbust in a way about the different delivery methods for low light things such as zoos.
I also think I will switch from my position in my little reef to my little nano with the swirly bulb. This lets in an extra participent and also doesnt compromise or give me the home field since I would still have to acclimate like everyone else when I put into the nano
1- solid MH
1- Solid T5
1- Solid PC
1- Walmart Swirly (tecnically I think it would be considered PC but you know what I mean)
RFB,
I will take care of them like they are my own. I will talk to them every day. They will have a prestigious and prominent place in whichever tank you choose. They will be in the lap of luxury. They will be the envy of all in their kingdom! I will construct a golden thrown (might look like LR to the untrained eye) for which they can rule!
Grumpygils

maelv

Reef.......
If Grumpygils decides not to "torture" them, I will be building my ReefForBrains nano w/ walmart lights in the very near future. So if you don't have an entry contestant for that category and if I get my parts in and tank set up by the time you're ready to start the race, i'd like to represent the "small" people. Well the cheap DIYers...ha ha ha ha...And although it is not set up yet, I will be using some rock and sand from my refugium and transferring water from my 135.
So now I have two entries...LOL
This is fun, good luck to everyone....

allterr

I'll do it, if you pick me...
10 gal nano
set up for about 6 months (lots of coralline and pods)
2 x 20w 50/50 pc's...

reefkprz

-Fragging Participants should be proficient in cutting and glueing frags as so when we officially kick it off we can each glue a set numbers of heads to a completly new frag or plug and have everything as even as possible for the control data. Taking the heads from the frags I provide about a week after they recieve them and we agree on starting counts and so on.
Honestly whoever does the cleanest fragging job is going to end up with a huge headstart no matter what type of lighting is used. IMO wich is great as it is a race.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
Honestly whoever does the cleanest fragging job is going to end up with a huge headstart no matter what type of lighting is used. IMO wich is great as it is a race.
Tough not to go with Allterr,
One 10G tank and has only one mushroom in it! A true test!
Mc

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Allterr
Well....i also have 2 tiny zoos that I recently fragged from a clump of Caulerpa I got from my LFS....

grumpygils

1- solid MH
1- Solid T5
1- Solid PC

And the winners are????????????

reefforbrains

OK drawing names......
Drumroll please.. .. . .. . . .. ..
Challenger #1- Hailing from CT Representing PC we have-Renogaw
Challenger #2- Hailing from FL representing T-5 we have-SaltnOOb
Challenger #3- Hailing from NC Representing MH we have-Grumpygils
Challenger #4- Hailing from NV representing Swirly Walmart Bulbs-ReefForBrains
I will frag the colonies and see, they are all large and I am sure it wont be an issue but I want to send decent frags around 10-15 heads of each color so If I wind up having a few extra then we can bring in a more competitors. We can cross that bridge when we get there and I know I have plenty for at least the four of us. Ill frag them all on Sunday and prep for shipping.
I will send the frags in little lots of 10-15 heads, but then when when we begin lets all try to have the same 2 or 3 headed mini frags so we all start as even as we can.
Most all of you have my email but here it is again if you dont.
reefnut@clearwire.net
Please include your ID so I know who you are if emailing me
and to those that it applies we can prep for shipping, I plan to send out in about a week or so.
Zoos to go out are 10-15 head frags of each of the colors below to each participant:
Purple with Blue mouth.
Brown with orange mouth
Bright green zoo
To everyone watching and following allong this should be tons of fun. To those participating please be prepared for trash talking and tons of picture taking.
A special note to everyone that requested to join. It is SO hard to exclude people so if there are more frags then I will send more but I want to be able to send decent sized frags to everyone. Contest or not, these folks participating are paying good money for shipping and I dont want to send the little cheapo auction site sized frags. They should be nice little clumps. Please dont feel left out if you didnt get into it. I very much enjoy these boards and I hope there is no ruffled feathers. I am stoked about the interest but I had no idea the idea would go over soo well.
-RFB
P.S. , Im gonna whoop some arse for the little guy with my little Swirly Bulb!!!.
My growth rate is going to stomp on your pathetic attempts like wet bags of groceries!!
Workin mans hero right here baby!!! *flexes at the monitor*
There had to start the trash talkin eary! LOL lets have fun everyone!!!!

maelv

Congrats to all those picked for the contest.....good luck, I am dying to see what happens with this thread and contest...