diy overflow!!!!!!!!! check it out!!!!

isistius

saltnoob- you'll see it tomorrow
grouper - yeah that's my bar. right behind the diningroom table. where it should be. there's rum in there. bacardi select, 151, and a real nice bottle from guatemala that was given to me as a gift. can't get it in the states. oh yeah, there might bu some cruzan single barrel, and appletons. i don't remember.

isistius

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Brilliant!!! As far as a fish protector goes, how about that round sponge filter that goes on alot of powerheads?? Should be easy enough to take off and clean when needed.
oh yeah. didn't think of that.
lol

cyclops

wow that is a nice set up. Where did you find the plans for the idea. I am helping a friend with a 55g withno overflows and this looks like a great idea.

isistius

i found them on that other reef site. which actually came off of another forum.
here's the plans i followed, only modifying the length of the pipe inside the tank from 11" to 12"

ibew

that air line check valve do you put a cap or something over it once you get siphon also can you hook an aqualifter pump up to that check valve like the CPR types. Really simple design I never seen that check valve from the first pictures also awsome layout on how its built that is a sticky for sure

sk8shorty01

Where do the air lines that are coming out of the top of the "air line check valve" going? Are they going to the check valve? I am just wondering because I was in the middle of coming up with a design for a sump under a non drilled tank and this would be perfect. Thanks for posting this, its great!

isistius

thanks ibew
sk8- the tubes out of the check valve don't go anywhere. just put a valve

[hr]
in it to close it off. then if you ever need to restart the syphon, remove the

[hr]
and pull the air out. like ibew said you could use an aqualifter, but make sure you have it draining somewhere, like the vent tube in the back

isistius

Originally Posted by Nancysalt
Isistius, What did you use to put together the pvc piping so its not toxic to the fish?
Thanks
standard pvc primer and cement

gatorwpb

Wow, look at that!! Nice job Isis!
Couldnt find black PVC, huh? lol

Whats the flow rate of that setup? Any info on that given on the other site?

zman1

Isistius
Attached is a picture of a pond drain I used on the surface skimmer in the 75.
Just as an FYI I have had the surface skimmer on the fuge break siphon.
The one in this picture is T'd in the tank with a strainer below the surface. It never broke siphon. Again the one I have in the previous link did a few times with only surface skimming...

isistius

zman- nice. very similar. where did you find the pond drain?
gator- thanks. never even looked for the grey stuff. too much of a hastle. it'll turn purple anyways. as for the flow rate, i'm not really sure. i still have to throttle back my return pump, even tho i went from 1" drains to 1.25". i probably should have gone with 1.5" oh well. next time. and next time i'll make sure my tank is level too.

nancy - it'll work with any size. just less flow through the smaller pipe.

zman1

I got this one at a Rural King store. Lowes or HD may have them, I never looked though. You could just as easy use a Slip reducer or expander depending on your perspective and cut slots around the larger end. It may break up the vortex a little and would reduce the chance of a larger item like a snail finding it's way into your drain. PVC covers with Coralline algae faster than LR for some reason -LOL

isistius

Originally Posted by zman1
You could just as easy use a Slip reducer or expander depending on your perspective and cut slots around the larger end. It may break up the vortex a little and would reduce the chance of a larger item like a snail finding it's way into your drain.
that's what i was thinking about doing

reefkprz

Great thread Love it, this may be the style I put on the 65g that I am picking up next week. I was thinking of drilling the tank, but now I think i may go with this design. I am thinking a good mod to the design may be to add a bleeder valve to the top of the "U" to assist in the initial priming of the over flow. (never mind its already there.) I didnt notice untill after I posted,
I wonder If I can find enough Clear acryllic tubing to build a clear one.