diy overflow!!!!!!!!! check it out!!!!

isistius

Originally Posted by jonfletch01
Have you checked the flow (gph) of them yet... ??
not sure how to check the flow. it's 1.25" id. however, since my tank is NOT level
, it severly detracts from the draining ability. i upgraded from 2 x 1" drains to 2 x 1.25", thinking it would be enough capacity for my return pump (quiet one 6000). however, since hindsight is alwasy 20/20 i probably should have gone with 1.5". oh well.

isistius

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
Great thread Love it, this may be the style I put on the 65g that I am picking up next week. I was thinking of drilling the tank, but now I think i may go with this design. I am thinking a good mod to the design may be to add a bleeder valve to the top of the "U" to assist in the initial priming of the over flow. (never mind its already there.) I didnt notice untill after I posted,
I wonder If I can find enough Clear acryllic tubing to build a clear one.
you can find anything for the right price!!!!!!! clear would be nice and all, but i'm not gonna pay god knows how much for acrylic tubing. i used just under 10' of pvc in this construction. it would have been more if i didn't use spaflex going to the sump.
then what about th elbows? arcylic elbows? i ain't gonna make em. lol.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Isistius
you can find anything for the right price!!!!!!! clear would be nice and all, but i'm not gonna pay god knows how much for acrylic tubing. i used just under 10' of pvc in this construction. it would have been more if i didn't use spaflex going to the sump.
then what about th elbows? arcylic elbows? i ain't gonna make em. lol.
maybe I'll use regular PVC elbows and have the straights be clear, I would want to know if the tube was trapping air inside it, not seeing would drive me nuts. I do know of a place loccally that makes custom acryllic anything, I'll have to pay them a visit, and see what their pricing would be like.

isistius

haha....pay them a visit!!!!! more like pay them for their time.
wth do i know?! i don't know squat about clear acrylic tubing. it might not be that much anyways.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Isistius
haha....pay them a visit!!!!! more like pay them for their time.
probably pay out the nose for something as custom as a tube shaped like that. could you imagine it in smooth seamless clear acryllic? I'm going to have to print it out and have them take a look at it to see if it is feasble to do in one piece. that would kick butt.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by jonfletch01
I was inspired by this post.. ended up making two of them today... they work great..
NOW look what you've done Jeff....You actually inspired somebody.....
JK...... I think it is a great design and it can be usefull to some people..

isistius

reef- all 1 piece would be sick. they'll just laugh at you when they see your face on the price quote.
jon- awesome. glad i can be of service
ifirefight- see, i CAN be useful

nancysalt

Do you need an airlift pump hooked up to the check valve? I know this is a silly question but what is the check valve for? just priming? Thanks

reefkprz

I just e-mailed the plans to a custom acryllic manufacturer. should hear back from them in a couple days. probably going to poop out a little blue cookie when I hear the price quote LOL

isistius

I just e-mailed the plans to a custom acryllic manufacturer. should hear back from them in a couple days. probably going to poop out a little blue cookie when I hear the price quote LOL
awesome!!!!!!

jbair

Isistius: I was going to try and drill my 110 gal tank, but now I'm going to do this instead. Looks easy to do and cost is a big plus. So you think 1.5 would be better than 1.25 for flow? Oh and thanks for posting this, Great Help.

isistius

Originally Posted by JBAIR
Isistius: I was going to try and drill my 110 gal tank, but now I'm going to do this instead. Looks easy to do and cost is a big plus. So you think 1.5 would be better than 1.25 for flow? Oh and thanks for posting this, Great Help.

i'm glad i could be of assistance.

1 - 1.5" drain will allow more flow than 2 - 1" drains. the sizing of your pvc should be determined by the amount of flow you want to achieve/size of return pump you have. also, make sure that your tank is level too!!!!!!!
mine is tilted toward the front glass by maybe 1/4", but that difference is huge when trying to get your drains working just how you want them.

groupergenius

...poop out a little blue cookie....Is that a Maine thing?

isistius

i'm guessing it is, cause i've never heard of it before. i just dismissed it as a new england thing.

isistius

Originally Posted by yerboy
put a bio ball on the intake pipe to keep your fish from getting pwnt!
that would work in smaller piping. but once you get to 1.25 or 1.5" intakes, the bioballs would get sucked in like the fish.
thanks theappe3