Starting a saltwater aquarium

Kristin1234

What did you use tap water with the tetra on?

[useE="Sweetden25, post: 3569940, member: 300013"]I haven't top off yet. I just started my aquarium.[/QUOTE]

lmforbis

When will i know the rocks are ready to go into the aquarium. I just hosed it down really good until the water became clear and now I have them soaking in a few buckets.
Since your tank hasn't cycled yet you can put them in the aquarium and cycle it with the rocks in it. If you can get a piece of live rock to add as well it will help the cycle.

Kristin1234

If you are like me and have none of this thing called "patience" you can begin ghost feeding your tank as if there was something in there. Or toss a raw shrimp in there to begin raising your amnomia. But first you need to add some live rock to that base rock. And maybe a hand full of live sand from the lfs if you can get some.

If you are like me and have none of this thing called "patience" you can begin ghost feeding your tank as if there was something in there. Or toss a raw shrimp in there to begin raising your amnomia. But first you need to add some live rock to that base rock. And maybe a hand full of live sand from the lfs if you can get some.
Thanks for the info. I actually already have live sand in it. My next project is getting the rocks in after soaking them. I will have to get a piece of live rock to add to the collection & I will get some raw shrimp.

Kristin1234

Thanks for the info. I actually already have live sand in it. My next project is getting the rocks in after soaking them. I will have to get a piece of live rock to add to the collection & I will get some raw shrimp.
When I say live sand. I mean sand from an actual tank with living organisms. It will add good bacteria and organisms to the sand bed. Technically the sand we buy in bags in alive, but not really. Lol. Just a single large raw shrimp tie a string around the tail and once you get a ammonia reading remove it. Continue ghost feeding, do a water a change (20%), test and see if the ammonia has gone back down to zero. Once the amonia spikes and comes back down, the tank has cycled.

Then the real fun begins.

What kind of fish do you have in mind?

jay0705

Patience , patience, patience!!!!! Lol live rock, raw shrimp then be what???? Patient lol you'll be good

When I say live sand. I mean sand from an actual tank with living organisms. It will add good bacteria and organisms to the sand bed. Technically the sand we buy in bags in alive, but not really. Lol. Just a single large raw shrimp tie a string around the tail and once you get a ammonia reading remove it. Continue ghost feeding, do a water a change (20%), test and see if the ammonia has gone back down to zero. Once the amonia spikes and comes back down, the tank has cycled.

Then the real fun begins.

What kind of fish do you have in mind?
Where can I get the live sand from? Can I buy it at a pet shop?

lmforbis

No seahorse. Star fish are not good in a new aquarium they often starve. Small brittle star would work

jay0705

Live rock any lfs. Shrimp any grocery store. Rem you want it raw. Take it out after 24hrs. No seahorses as mentioned. They need much cooler water than most fish

geridoc

So my aquarium is reading .50 when I tested for ammonia. Should I put another shrimp in my tank?
No, you have plenty of ammonia. Keep testing until it falls to undetectable levels, then test for nitrites (which are also toxic). When the nitrite levels have fallen the tank is ready for its first living organism.