Back to basics- 29g adventure

snakeblitz33

Thanks Robert. It is a nice name.

Going to do a water change this morning on the tank. It's going, despite multiple attempts to sell it. Lol. Oh well, I'll enjoy it while I have it. My heart really isn't into getting rid of it.

So far the acros are doing well. No indication that they are melting or browning or even paleing. So they are doing just fine.

I am actually looking into buying either an AI Prime or an AI Hydra 26, depending on how well the next deer season goes. It's been a rough summer with no work. I am hoping that things pick up soon. If not, I might be moonlighting as a bus boy.

snakeblitz33

The new acros are encrusting!

Calcium 460
Alkalinity 8dKH
pH 8.2
Temp 78
Salinity 1.024
Nitrate 0ppm
Phosphate: 0.03~

Chinese blackbox LEDs
On 2-10pm
80% blue
40% white

I'm happy so far. I'm ready to add some more SPS corals soon.

eric b 125

I'm not suggesting anything. I was just asking if you've considered it. It sounds like you have them set at a good color combination/ intensity if you're getting good color/growth from your corals.

snakeblitz33

I'm getting OK growth. Not like what I have seen in some peoples tanks. I guess I could consider it.

The only thing is that I am having some weird brown algae type of mess in my tank, and I have never had this issue until running these cheap Chinese led lights. It's on the sandbed and underneath some rocks and stuff. The astrina snails eat it, but it comes back. It didn't even go away with the addition of the phosphate reactor. It isn't dino, cause I have had a lot of experience with dino..,.. Just don't have a clue. This is one of those times I wish I had a microscope again.

I'm thinking that possibly switching to a higher quality LED light could get rid of the issue.

lmforbis

I had the same problem with cheap Chinese lights I had on my 40b. Within 2 weeks of replacing them with one Kessil 360 and a 2 bulb t5 HO the brown crud was gone along with most of the hair algae.

I had the mar aqua 165 led over my nano and got that brown crap. Started vodka dosing and it went away in a couple weeks. I now have the mars aqua over my 92 reef after reinstalling the optics I removed for the nano.

eric b 125

I also had some weird brown algae in my tanks with the ReefBreeders. It went away in the 200DD after I treated the GHA and Dino's.

Now that I have experienced decent LED's, I'm very happy with them and won't skimp on cheaper lights again. The principle cost is well worth it.

snakeblitz33

Bought two new frags today. A green pocillopora and an orange Montipora setosa.

So far, they are both doing well. Polyps are out and looking good.

I'm really looking into buying an AI Hydra 26 for my tank. I like the look and the quality... And I could control it from my phone... So that's awesome.

I'm looking for any way I can to get rid of the brown algae on the sandbed and some of the rocks. I am convinced that it's because of the cheap Chinese LEDs.

snakeblitz33

Ok, I think I figured out what is causing my algae problem. My phosphates are 0.25ppm and I think it's because the TDS coming off my RODI unit has jumped to 25ppm. I'll be ordering some new filters soon... Probably in the next 30 days or so.

Despite the high increase in phosphates, coralline is growing and doing well and some of the corals are still growing and doing fine. Doing water changes with this water though isn't really removing the phosphates like I would want it to.

I'm thinking about changing out my phosphate media. The last time I did that, the big montipora cap sloughed off a bit of tissue and with acros in the tank, I'm kinda worried about bleaching them. I might end up only replacing about half of what I usually replace and then add the other half next week.

In combination with getting my RO water down to zero again, I'm going to buy one of those hydra 26 led units sometime in the next three months.

Anyways,... I'll post some pictures in a few minutes.

eric b 125

It's annoying when life shows up like that. I always try to have a spare/replacement/backup everything so I don't get caught in a pinch. It's not always possible, though. Come to think of it, I should probably order some replacement cartridges for my RODI as well...