So. Who are you voting for?

beaslbob

meanwhile 970,000 cars with "foreign" names are being built in Alabama. Chattanooga Tn has a new vw plant.

And if we enact protective tariffs not only will the US economy suffer but the entire world will be in a great depression. Just as happened with the first great depression with smoot-Hawley.

The dirty little secret is that when the US exports something no news is made. But everyone has heard Detroit's story.

Companies that cannot produce a product supported by the market must go out of business for everyone's benefit. including the employees, owners, and managers of that company.

2quills

To be fair I agree that what happened to us auto makers needed to happen.

They failed to produce products in the 70's and 80's that were on par with foreign counter parts.

As a result, things have changed. They're producing better products, privatized a lot of jobs and struck a much better deal with the unions. Things have turned around quit a bit.

But if you think what Trump is proposing is bad take a look at the 256% terrif we just slapped on Chinese steel. We already have terrifs on over 12,000 different products.

2quills

The unions were just as corrupt. Had the unions not tried to put such a stranglehold on the companies there might not have been as significant of a problem.
I agree.

They were essentially forced into paying great wages, vacation time, profit sharing, benefits, pensions.

Most of the elected union officials were retirees fighting for better and better pensions.

When you're all of a sudden faced with a more competitive market place you can't afford all of that extra stuff. The money has to come from somewhere. And it came at the cost of lower quality vehicles.

Had the unions not been in the way. The auto companies could have compensated for the changes a lot easier.

But somehow I'm sure it's all their fault they couldn't compete because of poor decision making.

beaslbob

To be fair I agree that what happened to us auto makers needed to happen.

They failed to produce products in the 70's and 80's that were on par with foreign counter parts.

As a result, things have changed. They're producing better products, privatized a lot of jobs and struck a much better deal with the unions. Things have turned around quit a bit.

But if you think what Trump is proposing is bad take a look at the 256% terrif we just slapped on Chinese steel. We already have terrifs on over 12,000 different products.
Thanks for posting. This whole trade tariffs stuff must make the US look extremely hypocritical to the rest of the world.

FWIW the "US" producers are just as and always have been capable of producing cars with the quality of the Japanese. In fact they did exactly that even in the 70's and 80's and before and after.

The reason was one thing and one thing only. Price.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No one. Can't stand either one. Both are disasters in the making for the USA.

jay0705

While both are undulated triggers of politics, I think he's the least dentermental to the country. She gets in, Russia will be attacking us!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
While both are undulated triggers of politics, I think he's the least dentermental to the country. She gets in, Russia will be attacking us!
Why do you think that is going to happen?

If Trump gets in, he will be quickly taken over by the powers that be because he's basically a very foolish erratic individual and his antics just aren't going to be tolerated. Hillary is no more a threat to Russia than Obama was.....and we know Obama was never a threat (Ukraine anyone?)

2quills

At this point I'm just going to sit back and watch the world burn from my own private little safe space.

<-----is looking into real estate on Mars.

jay0705

Lol I don't really think. Russia would bomb us. I just think she is a lying, conniving , bitch to be frank. Trump is a loose cannon yes. But atleast he's honest about it.

2quills

It's all about cyber warfare these days. It's already happening.

Did you guys know you can buy 1 acre of land on Mars for about $29.99

2quills

Well that was a interesting night.

All of our local elections seem to reflect the same thing. Democrats accross the board have been swept out of office.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, interesting, scary, hopefully something that move our country into a much better direction, but not sure this wiseguy is up for that.

2quills

Guess it all depends on everyone's version of better lol.

One thing is for sure. For the first time in nearly 100 years we have a single party as the majority of the house and senate with the pres in the white house.

If stuff doesn't get done now then it never will.