007's 22 Gallon

22 Gallon Reef Tank Set up on 08/01/2002Hardware:2x 75w VHO (1x URI 50/50, 1x URI Super Actinic, run on a Workhorse 7 electronic ballast)1x Bak Pak 2R w/preskimmer and bubble trap combo box
2x Maxi-Jet 400 ph's
1x Ebo Jager 100w Heater
Filtration:

~35 LBS of mixed LR (Fiji, Florida, Marshall, and Tonga)
~40 LBS aragamax oolitic LS (3-4" sand bed)
Vertebrates:

2x TR Amphirion Ocellaris (False Percula)
Mobile Invertebrates:

1x Serpent Star
9x Scarlet Hermits
2x Zebra Hermits
Sessile Invertebrates:

Green Open Brain - Moderate growth
Frogspawn - Good growth
Alveopora - Slowly wasting away

PomPom Xenia - Slow but noticeable growth
Capnella - Excellent Growth
Palythoa - Don't even ask (one polyp to 27 in less than two mo.)
Orange rimmed zoanthids - Noticeable growth
Blue/Grey zoanthids - Noticeable growth, getting ready to frag
Green Striped Mushrooms - Too much growth (Removed 1/25)
Hydnophora - Moderate growth
Pocillopora - Moderate growth recently fragged into 3 pieces
Pachyseris - VERY slow growth, but noticeable
Leather frag - ridiculously tiny at this point (free from LFS)
Leather frag - rescued from under rock
Sarcophyton - Rather large and came with 4 "babies"
Silver skirt and Blue center Zoanthids - new addition
Brown skirt, green centered zoanthids - new addition
Brown Skirt, yellow center zoanthids - new addition
Orange with Blue center Ricordea - new addition
Caulastrea sp. - 23 polyps; new addition
Water Parameters:
: (averages from the past 18 months)
pH - 8.2
Ca - 430
Alk - 3.5 meq/L
Nitrates ~ 10 ppm
Salinity @ 78F - 35ppm
Temp - 78 in winter months, 82 in summer months
I test my water on a weekly basis and keep my numbers logged in SPSS (statistical analysis software)
Photoperiod:
7.5 hours daily (contemplating an increase)
Maintenance:

Daily - Temp check, glass cleaning, top off with 20 oz. RO
2x per week - Dose DT's (1/2 tsp) and feed fish (1/4 cube Formula one and tropical crisps flake food, cyclo-peeze)
Weekly - Clean skimmer cup, 5% waterchange, clean back glass
Monthly - Disassemble all pumps/powerheads for cleaning, run carbon for 48 hrs.
Annually - re-wire canopy/lighting to assure proper connections
Dosing:

I alternate daily between two Seachem buffers, Reef Advantage Calcium and Reef Builder dissolved into the top off. However the amount of additive per day is currently in limbo as I am adjusting some levels in my tank. I also use Reef Crystals salt for the added trace elements and Ca. (3/31/04) I no longer use the seachem and have begun using B-Ionic. I add 7ml of each component after lights out. It has been two weeks of dosing and I am quite pleased with the results so far.
Notes:

I have a very weak clean up crew right now because of an unwanted hitch hiking polyclad flatworm. Unfortunately it consumes any snail that I put into the tank within three days. Hence, I have no snails. (if you have any removal ideas I would love to hear them) Furthermore, I think that it has resorted to hermits as they too are slowly disappearing. Just not as fast because I think that they can out run it. So what this means it that I unfortunately have a modeartly bad case of hair algae, but only on the skimmer combo box. :confused: Which is why I have to clean the back glass.
Last updated: 4/25/2004

overanalyzer

Yeah bring on those pics ... I was vacilating between going with one 50/50 and one actnic or one 10K .... wantto see your pics to see what I think ....since I've been buringin in the 10K I like it a lot more than 2 50/50 bulbs .....

This frogspawn is simply amazin. It was the first coral in the tank, and put there WAY before it should have been. Needless to say it has been beaten badly in the past. I purchased it as a single polyp back in september of '02 and placed it into a spot of moderate to high current. Well . . . all the tentacles got blown off so it was basically just a green ball. I then moved it to a lower current position where it currently is now and has been ever since. It has since split heads, preparing for another split, and grown a total of 7 new heads. The new heads are still quite small, but growing none the less.

:jumping: To give you an idea of how much coralline growth I have had in this tank . . . the rock that these orange /red zoos are attached to was sitting on a store shelf, dry as a bone, completely white for about 6 months before I bought. This is 18 months later.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by 007
I will work on a full tank shot but these are all I got for now . . . .

:speak: I would like to talk but I am drooling too much!! yes please post a full tank when you can!

I have several at home, but they are still in raw form. I have to resize them and convert them to .jpg format but soon enough.
Also, i have made some more updates to the original post.
I actually really like this idea because it is a way for me to keep track of my tank. I hope that others part-take.

D

daniel411

Nice tank. I really like the additional info, such as your growth rates of the corals.
Curious regarding your oolitic sand, have you check for any calcification in the anaerobic lower sections? I just switched from a 2-3" sand bed over a plenum to 3-4" of oolitic sand from caribsea. Just curious if the smaller sand might solidify more.

Dan,
No . . . I did not have any solidification or the mysterious sulfur pockets that people speak of. I moved this tank to its current location after being set up for about 12 months. In moving the tank, I used all of the old sand - also the oolitic - and found no solid pieces or even clumps for that matter.

This maxima was in my tank for about 14 months, tripled in size and really did well in my system . . . . until the polyclad got him. :mad: