100g Volitan/Rhinopias tank build.

melypr1985

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3154445

so is this beautiful little guy in his new home yet? or are you just demonstrating who is going to be moved? If he's in the new home I wanna see more pics! That lion is sooo pretty by the way.

moondog

Did you consider using a large tube (6"PVC or larger if you can find it), and use a plunger to suck the fish up into the tube? I know they use this sort of contraption to catch fish in the wild, and I am sure if you look hard enough you can find one somewhere. Not sure if that would work on a Lion fish that large, but just a thought.

cranberry

Originally Posted by Moondog
http:///forum/post/3154711
Did you consider using a large tube (6"PVC or larger if you can find it), and use a plunger to suck the fish up into the tube? I know they use this sort of contraption to catch fish in the wild, and I am sure if you look hard enough you can find one somewhere. Not sure if that would work on a Lion fish that large, but just a thought.
He has a 13" fin span... don't think he'll go into a PVC tube.
Originally Posted by melypr1985

http:///forum/post/3154672
so is this beautiful little guy in his new home yet? or are you just demonstrating who is going to be moved? If he's in the new home I wanna see more pics! That lion is sooo pretty by the way.
He's not moved yet... not until this weekend. The tank he's going into is pretty stark white just yet. We put rocks and what not into the 60g so they can get some coralline on them so we can put them in the new tank. You can see a coral skeleton to the left of him that I put in there a couple of weeks ago and you can see it just starting to purple up.
If y'all want purple rock.... just give it to me... LOL.

fmarini

solid yellow dwarf fuzzys are pretty rare-but they do come in. They are collected from one spot in lembeh, and back in the late 90's cost about 350.00.
Fast forward now a-day, i see them more often than not and they only go a few dollar more than a standard colored fuzzy.
I was fortunate enough to have a few, and their pictures are in the lionfish info article

cranberry

If you ever see one somewhere that I can arrange a purchase.... please think of me. We are starting to complete our desired collection, as you know, by our more recent purchase. Male or female, I would love to have one.
You think living where I do I would have seen one by now. The only place I've seen one was at the Aquarium of the Pacific.

cranberry

Sunday is D-day.
He's a great looking lionfish. His colouration is fabulous. I'd hate to drop him on the floor on Sunday O.O.... LOL.
We are trying to carefully plan this out... to make it safe for him AND us.

S

shrimpy brains

Ok, I'm sure this is a bad idea!! But I'm thinking.....heavy duty garbage bag, lots of tie raps, and a stringless tennis racket.......

Maybe not?? Do you have one handy to see if the size would be good? Fit in tank?? Lion fit inside??? You'd have to test it to see if it would hold water, or just break. Was just thinking....no holes for fins to get stuck in...well however you do it, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for ya! Good luck!

melypr1985

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3156166
Even if we don't do that exactly, I think we'll fashion something from your idea! Thanks!
maybe you could use some kind of cloth instead of plastic. I just invision a sharp fin puncturing the bag and the whole thing ripping open. hmmm. I used a tea pitcher and a small net to coax him into the pitcher. It actually worked but it took me forever.

cranberry

Sorry. I forgot to make the saltwater. O.O I'm going to do a large post cycle water change tonight, let the tank hang for the night and put him in tomorrow. He have our plan and apparatus.... stay tuned.
He's going to be without lights for a bit. We ran into a big snag and now have to plan for an alternate hanging method.
The RKE has to be returned to the manufacturer for there is something wrong with it.

rlablan

I am on the edge of my seat.... I wanna see pics of him in the thing you are gonna use to move him... Is it something you bought or something you fashioned?