100g Volitan/Rhinopias tank build.

cranberry

We threw the light up there to see how it would look. This is "cooked" LR. It's been cycling in a dark bin forever. Once it goes through a little algae bloom we're going to add some nice established pieces.
The light is going to be placed in a frame of sorts and hung from conduit pipe.

These are huge ole pieces of LR.

G

gwhunter

Wow, it looks really good so far. You've got some great shapes of LR for aquascaping. I can't wait to see it all colored up an stocked.
Matt

WOW.... Ok you have been busy!!! Hahaha can I move in now?? Ok how come non of the stores around us have any kind of these lil fish... Can I start tagging along with you lol... Really hoping after the holidays I can get my angler tank ordered and set up..

cranberry

It's 2 feet deep. Lots of fin room. Or do you mean how tall? I think it's like 19" tall or something like that.

cranberry

Going to get some SuperBac cycle product today. Maybe I'll test the water tonight for fun. Something to post while we wait :) I don't normally test until a long time in.

cranberry

Oh, lol... it's one of those ammonia monitors. Not to be used for accuracy, mind you. But it WILL alert you if your ammonia jumps.

cranberry

K, next step. We were out shopping for thick crown moulding to frame the light fixture. We were 2 seconds away from buying an awesome Dewalt drop saw with a slider.... it was sweet.
Getting a little nervous about moving the volitan. I don't want to injure him in any way. But he is a whole lot of fish now.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3139627
K, next step. We were out shopping for thick crown moulding to frame the light fixture. We were 2 seconds away from buying an awesome Dewalt drop saw with a slider.... it was sweet.
Was this story finished.....??
Getting a little nervous about moving the volitan. I don't want to injure him in any way. But he is a whole lot of fish now.
How are you going to move him/her??

cranberry

I don't exactly know....... we think we found something. We just have to wait until it arrives to see how soft and "non-hitchy" it is. Ya always gotta eyeball what the koi peeps have for their big fish.... koi peeps are nutty over their fish. I have found some good products through them that may suit the bill.
Ammonia is at 1.5ppm. Nitrites 0.

S

shrimpy brains

Rubber gloves?? lol Or a plastic container slightly larger than fish %% maybe you can scoop him up?? I'd use both!!

Don't know how fast volitans can move when their scared. Probably won't be easy no matter how you do it. Good luck!
Good idea on the koi stuff.

cranberry

I hope not to unshealth any of his spines. But he's 13-14" of love. They have black soft large scoopy koi nets. I hope they feel as soft as they claim when they come... I'll keep ya updated on that one.

melypr1985

this will be a very valluable learning experience for me. That way if I ever need to move my lion then I will know either how or how not to! lol. deffinately keep us posted!

small triggers

is the top of his current tank large enough to fit a 5 gallon bucket through, then maybe just drain enough water that he can still swim but be able to fill it up with him in the bucket? (that how i move my niger but with a pitcher cuz he is much smaller)