125 Gallon 4 month birthday

A

andretti

That's a lot of fish & corals to have in only a four month old tank! Did you use half (or more) of your water & sand from another established tank? I have NEVER heard nor seen of a trigger in a reef tank. Do you sedate him everyday or something? that's also a lot of coraline algea. What are your calcium levels? and how long do you leave your lights on? By the way, the tank looks WONDERFUL!! Much better than than my 125 that's been set up for nearly a year. What's your secret? Please respond. ASAP

gregm779

Thanks Guys,
All the sand is new, except for about 2 lbs to seed, I did use all aragonite live sand though (140 lbs). The water is also all new, water doesn't contain that much beneficial bacteria to really be worth transferring into a new tank.
The trigger has been a model citizen so far, no complaints, he eats from my hand and doesn't bother any of the other fish at all. There are only a few types of triggers you can put in a reef. The actinics stay on about 12 hrs a day and the halides about 8 hrs.

How do you keep your tank Aiptasia free? do you feed your corals? do yo have lot sof pods? I noticed just yesterday that these pods appeared.. My tank is a month old.

gregm779

I never really had a problem with Aiptasia, if you never put it in your tank it doesn't just appear. I've had about 5 Aiptaisias since I set it up and immediately Joe's Juiced them. I feed the corals at noght about twice a week now, except my Acan Lord about every other night right now. I have tons of pods, expecially in the refugium. That's a very good sign you have them after only a monh some people take a year to get them in their tanks. Good Luck

pitbull01

I LOVE your trigger- you said it will eat your snails. Do you have cleaner shrimp? Or anything like it? Also, doesnt your trigger want to eat those tiny mandarins?
Adam:happyfish

unleashed

beautiful tank I see you have a few fish that arent concidered reef safe watch that foxface too hes a picker also .I have the majestic in my reef but he cant pick at anyting he has no lower jaw to do damage.perfect bday present.best of luck its a beauty

gregm779

Thanks CJEFFREY77
pitbull01, It's a Niger Trigger, which is pretty much the most docile of the triggers, their teeth are also in a different spot and make them less likely to eat coral or fish. If I were to put a clown trigger in there eventually all of my fish would be dead. I did have 2 cleaners but I think that they're goners now. He doesn't really care about any of the other fish and actually likes to eat seaweed when I give it to the other fish.
unleashed, thanks. The faxface has already mowed down the middle of my daisy polyps but that's the only thing I've seen him touch. The flame angel hasn;t touched anything at all. The other nonreef safe fish I have are that because they eat invertebrates, not coral.

cre8or23

your tank looks soothing. do they 2 green brains compete for space i have only 1 and i cant give him enough space one of the reasons i'm going bigger besides that i want that Soho Tang like you have isnt she lovely? Gl. to you.

unleashed

well im glad i put my wounded majestic foxface in my reef and not my bi colored foxface.it looks great ,mines going to have to wait a long time to get that beautiful this hobby can be addictive but realy expencive

gregm779

I actually have the 2 green brains and a purple brain. There's enough land space for them all. Sometime s they overlap each other but never hurt each other. I could sit here and stare at my tank all day it's so soothing, unfortunately if I did that I wouldn's make any money to buy more stuff for it.
I love my foxface, I've had him for about 9 months now and he has grown incredibly fast. He was more cute than pretty when he was younger but now is very pretty and different than the other fish.

balistikb

GreggM779 I live in Ft. Lauderdale and I am looking for a LFS with a large selection of corals. Any suggestions?
Even up by you.

scary

how are you seeing these pictures? I cannot figure out what to click on to bring them up!
Yikes , I'm getting old. I feel like my father when he is on the computer and doesn't know what to do. Please help I want to see gregs tank!!
Thanks

gregm779

This is actually an old thread you can't see the old pics because of the updates they are doing but I'll take an updated tank tomorrow, the tank has changed a lot anyways.