125 Gallon 4 month birthday

himandher

and I would leave the clam on the bottom, I know mine likes it better there, and Ive heard they help eat nitrates on the bottom. It looks amazing. Im using you as a model.

gregm779

Thanks HimandHer for the comments. I planned on only buying nice pieces that I really liked and the stores kept getting in ones that I thought I may never see again or have a hard time finding. There are quite a few LFS in the area and I go when they receive shipments. When you buy a lot $300-600 a week they tend to cut you pretty good breaks. I actually will save money by doing this but had to spend a lot in a short amount of time. I wanted to also get a lot in there ASAP just so I can leave it be and watch it cover every inch of rock in my tank! I had a 55 with some stuff but a lot is new. I can't give you an exact dollar amount but it is way up there. I actually have 2 other clams, not good pics but here they are. A blue spotted Squamosa

gregm779

And another crocea.
There is so much more not in the pics but I think I'm already getting carpel tunnel tonight.

himandher

we also get breaks too, we have been spending about $300 a week, and we get them home and our little rock with our little coral looks tiny in our tank. But it is coming along. We also wanted to only buy pieces we liked, but it is hard when you want to fill it fast. how much LR do you have in there?

gregm779

It's well over 200lbs not sure exactly but quite a bit. I think the most tedious thing was getting the rockwork where I was actually happy with it. The fish can swim from one side of the tank to the other in the back so that means that they go in and out everywhere, it's really cool. Patience is the key to this hobby. If my stores weren't getting extremely nice corals in so often my tank would not look like this. Quality over quantity always. I should be getting some purple people eaters at the end of March and have just put in my first frag of Acan Lords. There is always room for a nice piece.

druluv

You have broken all the rules! and you are successfull because you thought outside the box. Some people in this room may hate your tank because it didn't take four years to build it. Good Luck man! Maybe you can share with us how you were able to get such good results in such a short period of time; maybe a month to Month husbandry list of chores and tips

iwantacans

Originally posted by druluv
You have broken all the rules! and you are successfull because you thought outside the box. Some people in this room may hate your tank because it didn't take four years to build it. Good Luck man! Maybe you can share with us how you were able to get such good results in such a short period of time; maybe a month to Month husbandry list of chores and tips

first off here bud watch what you say... succsess isnt a 4 month month span! greg no offence the tank DOES look great, but DRULUV it is not a sucsess yet... lets see how it matures. sucsess isnt built over night....

iwantacans

Originally posted by druluv
I guess you didn't see the pics greg posted. Give credit when credit is due.

nope i guess not seeing how i told himn it looks great...
i can see your gunna stock your tank and in 6 months when you went to fast and everything is unstable and it crashes.... dont come crying....
the NUMBER 1 rule in this hobby is PATIENCE.... and why do you think it is that?????

druluv

what does "PATIENCE.... " mean
four months or 8 months
did greg show PATIENCE when he set up his tank! who is the judge of PATIENCE. Greg has accomplish what many people have tried in years. I sure you have read all of the sorry posts in this room.
Give credit when credit is due!

gregm779

Alright guys no fighting, everyone has their opinions. iwantacans admits he likes the tank but I think is worried everyone will run to the LFS and crash their tanks after seeing this thread. I definitely believe in patience and don't want everyone to crash their tanks. All of the fish have been there over a month except the niger trigger and the params are pretty perfect. I just can't imagine it mysteriously crashing for no reason as it matures even more. Oh and my harder to keep corals like my 2 flower pots I've had for about 10-11 months, they came from my old tank.
Thanks druluv for the comments, at this point it is for the most part self sustaining. I topoff add kalkwasser, alk plus, DTs, iodine, strontium and that's about it. Of course I feed the corals about once a week with cyclopeeze and daphnia and I feed the fish everyday. I am a firm believer in running UV on reefs, I have not had any fish illnesses yet. I've done one water change of 10 gallons about a month ago, don't think you need to do water changes as often on a younger tank, I'm sure I'll get some comments on that.

madison

easy tiger! take a deep breath...in thru the nose...out thru the mouth...
The tank is beautiful! and let's all let a sleeping dog lye...
Great job GregM779!!!

madison

GregM779
Quick question on your clam...did it bury himself? or did you help? IMO...I think that is so cute!

gregm779

He did bury himself and is probably attached to the glass on the bottom. My other 2 clams are about half way in the sand but most clams like to attach to things to feel secure.

druluv

Originally posted by GregM779
Dragon Wrasse

I like that Dragon Wrasse. I thought they were hard to keep and not reef safe. How is he doing in your tank

gregm779

Here's another pic of him, I would probably not suggest him for a reef, he does like to move things he can pic up so I have to make wure every small coral or rock in my tank can't be moved. He also digs underneath rocks and brains and everything because that is how they hunt in the wild. He throw a lot of sand in the water also when he's doing that which means it lands everywhere. You can see it in the water column in some of my close up shots. He does have one of the coolest personalities though and people generally like my $20 Dragon Wrasse more than my $180 Lineatus Wrasse. I think he would be awesome in a FOWLR. Here's another pic.