150 reef from start to finish

rslinger

That is not near enough light. You won't be able to keep anything under them. They are just nomal bubls aren't they? or are they PC or VHO?

G

g_d

Originally Posted by fish-man-t
i added 20 pounds of live rock (coral rock) $11 per pound ouch but worth it,
:scared: :scared: :scared:

taznut

a couple things... i cycled mine with blue damsels... i put them in the night i mixed the salt and they survived... i dont think they can die... and thanks for the air bubbler comments i couldnt get an answer to that... will the protien skimmer add enough air to the water though... thanks

fish-man-t

Originally Posted by Rslinger
That is not near enough light. You won't be able to keep anything under them. They are just nomal bubls aren't they? or are they PC or VHO?
yes they are bulb light 7 x coralife 10,0000 k and 1 coralife actinic 03 blue.
if this is bad plz tell me ,i spent $21.00 per bulb and 24 for the actinic

reefiness

Originally Posted by fish-man-t
yes they are bulb light 7 x coralife 10,0000 k and 1 coralife actinic 03 blue.
if this is bad plz tell me ,i spent $21.00 per bulb and 24 for the actinic
well its not bad... its just that if you want to go reef which it seems like you do being that there is already a colal in there, you are going to need to get much stronger lights...

fish-man-t

Originally Posted by reefiness
well its not bad... its just that if you want to go reef which it seems like you do being that there is already a colal in there, you are going to need to get much stronger lights...
ok well plz tell me what to buy and i will get it this weekend, also remember i got a treasure chest top so i cant hang anything from the ceiling, or im not sure if i can even screw any thing to the inside on the top. But plz help me pick out suitable lights for reef/fish
thanks alot

mopar9012

you want either PC lighting or MH lighting. Im not sure how much watts of each but im going to guess if you want PC lights then maybe about 500-600W. PC lighting is cheaper but MH is better. IMO

ginarox

that is an awesome tank, i dont think i have seen one like that,,thanks for sharing and keeping us posted,,,have a great night...

fish-man-t

mopar9012 said:
you want either PC lighting or MH lighting. Im not sure how much watts of each but im going to guess if you want PC lights then maybe about 500-600W. PC lighting is cheaper but MH is better. IMO
if i went pc lighting how many lights would i need ? and do they run hot?

mopar9012

im not really sure, Ive never tried to get a lighting fixtured for that big of a tank.
Most of the time they come in fixtures. For my 29 gallon i got a 30 inch fixture that came with fans to cool the lights off. Im not sure if they would have a long enough fixture so u might have to buy more than one. You should try talking to someone who has about the same size tank.
Just so you know it is still going to cost a good amount of money.

reefiness

well... what corals are you looking to keep? but as far as what you have said so far it seems like you want the best but are limited in space so this is one tank which i would say go with T-5's. Although i am no expert on T-5s they seem to be the best lights in your case although i think MH is the best but some would debate that. well any way make a new thread in the equiptment formumk asking for T5 help... you should get a lot.

reefiness

whats the brand... i would still start a thread on the equiptment forum asking if that brand is a good brand because i know that if t-5s are set up wrong they wont be much better the PCs. ive heard that one of the greatest factors in T5 in determining how good they will be is if each bulb has its oen reflector, if they each have their own thats good if they all share one reflector thats bad.

reefiness

i also think ive heard that TEK t5s are the best out there so i would google them and see what you find... i did a quick search and i would say that the best thing for your 6ft tank would be 2 of the 3ft fixtures which would cost about $600.

teresaq

Nice. I am setting up a 150 gal too. I have 3 250 wtt mh that i will be putting in the canopy.
Watch that crushed coral. it will trap stuff in it and make your tank unstable. you will need to vacum it often.

fish-man-t

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
Nice. I am setting up a 150 gal too. I have 3 250 wtt mh that i will be putting in the canopy.
Watch that crushed coral. it will trap stuff in it and make your tank unstable. you will need to vacum it often.
no more cc its all sand now :)