220 FOWL Tank Diary

G

gtdarock

hey guys, something is up with photobucket, but its the first two pics from 11:49 pm, is it flukes-?

crypt keeper

He looks to me like he is trying to hide. Your tank has a lot of rock work but. Almost zero places for bigger fish to call home. You have more of a swiss cheese rock formation. Fish can swim in and out all day but no coverage. IMO he is stressed out and wants him time. I would rearrange the rocks with adequate hiding and see if that helps at all

R

rcreations

Yeah, his fin will heal if he has the proper nutrition and water conditions. I say first get those nitrates down to below 40, the lower the better.

crypt keeper

I would do a 40% water change. Rearrange the rock work and keep up on the changes till the water qaulity is better. Continue to feed but try at night. They area more nocturnal animal right?

G

gtdarock

I think the Nitrates went up because of all the left over clam shells that were in the tank. He looks a little happier with the water change. Looks like every week I have to do a large water change to get the trates down. I thought I would be ok with a DSB, but still I have high Nitrates. I order some mangroves from ----, I'll put them in the sump when I get them. But as usual, I have problems, I recently bought a new test kit, I've been testing the QT since I messed up and bleached it, today I got some new arrivals, waiting to get QT, and I checking the readings and the Nitrite is at 5.0 in the 55 QT. I can't believe it, so now I am dripping a Blonde Naso and a replacement Blue Throat to put in my DT. Boy am I taking a BIG CHANCE !!! Nowadays I'm starting to give up this hobby !!

R

rcreations

Don't give up on the hobby. I think you're moving too fast, that is all. A QT takes a long time to cycle properly, a lot longer than a DT because it doesn't have as much LR and filtration. My 30 gal took something like 2 months. So just go slower and things will work out better.

ledzep fan

In order to get down your nitrates, you could add sugar into your tank. Mix it with some tank water till it dissolves and add it to your sump. I went from having nitrates I couldn't read off the charts to zero within a few weeks. What the sugar does is feeds the anerobic bacteria in your tank to reproduce and cut down on your nitrates. I have dosed it everyday till I got the nitrates down, and once down I now dose it every other day.

cafero702

Originally Posted by LedZep fan
http:///forum/post/3082822
In order to get down your nitrates, you could add sugar into your tank. Mix it with some tank water till it dissolves and add it to your sump. I went from having nitrates I couldn't read off the charts to zero within a few weeks. What the sugar does is feeds the anerobic bacteria in your tank to reproduce and cut down on your nitrates. I have dosed it everyday till I got the nitrates down, and once down I now dose it every other day.
Does that really work mixing sugar with some tank water then putting it in your tank?? will it hurt anything? corals fish etc??

ledzep fan

Yes it does work. If your tank is cloudy afterwards, you are adding too much. Cut back on the amount you are dosing. I dose about a quarter tsp to half a tsp on my 120.

G

gtdarock

Hey guys ! I would like to say thank you to everyone who always help me out, you guys know who you are
. Well I did learn a big lesson, and found out the culprit that was causing my fish losses, which were high temps ! I removed the glass tops, replaced them with eggcrates, removed the covers on the canopy, shut of 2 out of 3 heaters and added a fan on top of the canopy. I run it on low, 24/7. Now instead of it being 91, its at 84, going down slowly. I was wondering if I should run it all the time -? As for new additions, I received an Emperor from my LFS as a form of payment from them. I'm a mechanic, and did some work on their car, so they hooked me up. And I bought a Queen, online. Both are in the 55 gal QT, separated by an eggcrate, and eating NLS Anti pellets. I'll tell you guys ........ its hard keeping the levels in order, so far I'm doing a water change every two days on it. I would love to feed these guys more, cuz them seem so hungry, but I don't want to mess up the water parameters. As for visual signs of disease, I do notice like something is on the Queen's tail, like inside of it, not sure yet. And the Emperor has one little dot on his fin, not sure as well. Any tips on what should I do for the next two weeks -?
And here are some pics !!!!

R

rcreations

What kind of filter do you have on your QT? Nice looking angels.