240g in wall shallow reef build

jpa0741

Originally Posted by SweetXOXO31
http:///forum/post/2930435
Your tank (I'd call it a sanctuary) is truly remarkable! That tank would be an absolute DREAM come true not just for me but MOST on this board! I'm amazed at the effort, time, patience, careful thought & planning you put into this Project!! It is all so intricate - the plumbing & st up - WOW...Not to mention the HUGE amount of $$ it probably cost you...but what a PAY OFF...everything is coming to life & thriving! Awesome! Isn't the interaction of the tank enjoyment in itself! I'm very IMPRESSED! Really, your hard work is not going unnoticed...If I was in your area, I'd seriously consider using your TALENT to your benefit. You could be making some serious bank consulting with people, businesses etc...think about it??? Doing something you love, knowledgable about and obviously fantastic at doing!!
PS...if my hubby did THAT foe me & our home.....he'd be getting lucky everytime I walked by & saw how BEAUTIFUL it was! LOLOL
Congrats to you & GREAT JOB!!!

Sweet

Thank you for your wonderfull compliments. Now if only I could get my wife to feel like you do. She does like it and enjoys it but hates the amount of money I spend on it. I truly do love to spend time with my systems. Some days when I have nothing else to do, I will spend all day just tinkering and testing and checking everything. It really is a passion of mine. It brings me much joy. I attended my first frag swap last weekend and found another part of the hobby I really enjoy. I sold and traded for many new frags. I am now working on setting up a frag tank. I plan to grow out SPS frags from my tank and also start growing out zoas and palys for swaps.

jpa0741

Antoher pic of the Sea Grass wrasse playing peek a boo.

FTS

My new project. I am adding a 50g rubbermaid frag tank. I just put the table under it to see where I want it. I am building the stand tonight. I will post updates along the way.

jpa0741

Stand for frag tank is done. I am going to try and pickup some bulk heads tomorrow and try to find a return pump (submersable). I will also finish the plumbing tomorrow. I am going to place a order for this reflector https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/...roducts_id=700. I already have 2 dual 250w hqi ballast and only using 3 right now, so one will be used over frag tank. I plan to use the same bulb (radium) as I am using running over display. I am hoping this will make transfering them back and fourth easier on them.

C

cmaxwell39

You have done an amazing job with this tank. The new wrasses are sweet

You have gotten a nice selection of corals lately too. Can't wait to see everything fill in. Love the new frag tank project as well.
Btw where in MI are you located?

jpa0741

I am in Southgate (just south of Detroit). Anybody local is more then welcome to stop by.
Frag tank is pretty much all set. Just waiting on the reflector to get here next week. I have a couple leads on on a return pump. I hope to pick it up tomorrow.

Got one of my cheap Koralia knock off pump under the crate for flow (2800 gph)

My overflow bar. Hoping it will act as a surface skimmer.

life~reefer

Nice job! The frag tank is really coming together!!
And the display tank is just................WOW!!!!!!!
Awesome job on the tank!

jpa0741

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/2937103
what kind of noise does this system make?
is it audible from your other room?
If I am sitting in the other room with everything off (TV), I can hear some hum or water running. I actually enjoy hearing some water run. Sounds like a waterfall. I know alot of people hate it.
Also frag tank is running. I used a Mag 7 for a return pump to it and that is probably the loadest thing on the tank. I will switch it out when I find something better. Just waiting for the reflector to get here this week.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2937774
If I am sitting in the other room with everything off (TV), I can hear some hum or water running. I actually enjoy hearing some water run. Sounds like a waterfall. I know alot of people hate it.
Also frag tank is running. I used a Mag 7 for a return pump to it and that is probably the loadest thing on the tank. I will switch it out when I find something better. Just waiting for the reflector to get here this week.

so basically the blower isn't over kill? that was the only thing I personally wondered might be too loud, a lot of your stuff is beyond my skill, but I still learned alot of neat ideas from you, I have a paticular interest in your frag tank overflow bar...how well does it work as a surface skimmer? I was going to do this in my 125 DT at the top in the back as the catch for the drain...I want it to pull a long wide lip off the top of the tank to take down to the skimmer
Thanks for the time you took to put it up for us. BTW...I think I saw your tank once as a "Tank of the month" on some reefkeeping magazine. Nice to see it still running happy.

jpa0741

http:///forum/post/2937810
so basically the blower isn't over kill? that was the only thing I personally wondered might be too loud, a lot of your stuff is beyond my skill, but I still learned alot of neat ideas from you, I have a paticular interest in your frag tank overflow bar...how well does it work as a surface skimmer? I was going to do this in my 125 DT at the top in the back as the catch for the drain...I want it to pull a long wide lip off the top of the tank to take down to the skimmer
Thanks for the time you took to put it up for us. BTW...I think I saw your tank once as a "Tank of the month" on some reefkeeping magazine. Nice to see it still running happy.
The blower is very quite and works very well. It is on a timer and comes on for the last 4 hrs. the halides are on. I will be hooking it and the heaters to a Ranco controller very soon.
The overflow bar does not work as well as I hoped. The main suction comes from close to the end with the bulkhead. For it to work better it would need to have a bulkhead at each end. I may change this later if I see I am getting any build up on the surface. For what you are looking at a coast to coast overflow would be much more effective.
I was never TOTM, yet. But maybe in a couple years when things grow out.

king_neptune

AWESOME!! I was anticipating that responce and was therefore planning to do 2 bulkheads when I drill my tank. I was going to have 2 bulkheads. One on each end of the tank in the back...with the bar suspended beetween them. Instead of one large bulkhead...two smaller ones.
I saw on your main DT that the overflow was on one side...how do you like this? It was the only thing I personally thought could have been designed better at the manufacturer(say...from the rear running the length instead of the one side)
Not that I'm any means an expert....just my opinion.

king_neptune

And a coast to cost is extra price and complications I cant afford. A simple DIY pipe is cheaper...and more fun for me since I can get most of the parts at the local home depot for dirt cheap compared to a full blown California style.

jpa0741

http:///forum/post/2937841
AWESOME!! I was anticipating that responce and was therefore planning to do 2 bulkheads when I drill my tank. I was going to have 2 bulkheads. One on each end of the tank in the back...with the bar suspended beetween them. Instead of one large bulkhead...two smaller ones.
I saw on your main DT that the overflow was on one side...how do you like this? It was the only thing I personally thought could have been designed better at the manufacturer(say...from the rear running the length instead of the one side)
Not that I'm any means an expert....just my opinion.
The overflow on the one the side is great. It is 3' wide and I can run close to 3000 gph through it. I really could never see the need to have an overflow 8' long.

swerve12

hey jpa tank and set up looks great. im from detroit area aswell and just got into saltwater just wondering if you could recommend any good LFS. i cant seem to find a good saltwater one. thanks

jpa0741

Originally Posted by swerve12
http:///forum/post/2938205
hey jpa tank and set up looks great. im from detroit area aswell and just got into saltwater just wondering if you could recommend any good LFS. i cant seem to find a good saltwater one. thanks
There are many good ones.
Tropicorium-Romulus (one of the pionners in reefkeeping and the owner is mentioned in many reefkeeping books)
Fish Doctors-Trenton and Yspi
Pet Connection-Livonia
Choice Aquariums-Farmington Hills
Pruess-Lansing (This place is a must drive. It is worth the couple hours to get out there. Your jaw will hit the floor)
Aquarium Warehouse-warren
Kees-Shelby twp.
These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head (Ya, I have a problem). There is local forum you should checkout. I can't list it here, but check our state name and reefers and see what you get.