240g in wall shallow reef build

jpa0741

Fresh water test went better then expected, NO LEAKS! I think I have enough flow, the water is really churning. I am going to modify the return a little, the dart pump puts out some serious water.

jpa0741

Ok, I need some help from the lighting gurus. I am doubting my current choices. I was planning on running 3 -250w xm 20k bulbs. I thought with the tank only being 16" deep I could get away with less par. I recently just found out the ballast I have are hqi
(m-80). A more fitting bulb will be the radium 20k. It will have more par then the xm. The problem I see is I am pretty much stuck with this bulb, unless I go to DE and change reflectors and sockets. This I don't want to do. My other option is change ballast. The thing I am thinking now is get 400w magnetic ballast and run xm-20k bulbs. The only problem I see here are the chances of me needing a chiller are greater, and I don't really want to do this. I guess what I need to hear is that 3-250w radium 20k (with 4 110w vho) will be more then enough lighting to grow sps in a tank that is only 16" tall. I think it is, but now I am doubting. Please give me your opions.

volcom69

The radium 20ks are a good choice bulb for sps i wouldnt change that at all. Thats a good choice bulb i really like radiums, and for ur tank it will work out just fine. Any reason u choose a 20k over the 12k or the 10k just curious since u are running vhos also.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by volcom69
http:///forum/post/2513157
The radium 20ks are a good choice bulb for sps i wouldnt change that at all. Thats a good choice bulb i really like radiums, and for ur tank it will work out just fine. Any reason u choose a 20k over the 12k or the 10k just curious since u are running vhos also.
That is what I want to hear. I really like the look of a bluer tank and it reallly helps the colors pop. I don't need crazy fast growth, but would like decent growth.

volcom69

Just askin cause i have a mostly sps system right now that i run 2 14k 250 watt pheniox bulbs and 1 20k 150 watt xm bulb and im thinkin of going to all 20ks cause right now im not running any vhos cause of electic cost, so let me know how u really like those radium 20k bulbs and maybe ill try them.

jpa0741

Nothing new to add to the build. I am on hold for a little until I can get some Marco rock and gather a little more money to finish this build:eek: .
I did take a few new pics of my corner reef. I must say I am getting pretty excited about starting a ricordia garden in the new tank. Here are a few I have picked up in the last couple weeks.

I think my clams are getting excited about the move too:D .