25g Angler Tank Build.

cranberry

Well, it's time to move the angler out of his 3 gallon pico. I think he's soon going to change into his adult colours and I do NOT want to miss getting pictures of the progression. The curved glass of the pico makes pictures next to impossible.
It was a sweet little tank....

He was a small little guy when I got him.

cranberry

We are still going to use the night stand so we had a custom tank built so it would be visible from the front and from the bed.
It measures approx 24" x 16" footprint.

View from the bed... but this is in the livingroom ATM.

Made by Advanced Acrylics.

aquaguy24

sweet lookin tank..can't wait to see it up and running...cute little guy...couple of nice lookin wartskin anglers just came up for sale..have u seen them...

cranberry

No, I don't believe I've seen them. This one is either a painted or a warty. We're leaning towards painted at the moment, but I guess we'll see when he grows and changes.

worrballer

That is one sweet set up! And one lucky angler.
So how do you plan on stocking the tank? Will it be just your little guy rocks and stuff like the 3 gallon?

cranberry

Thanks!
He's going to be a loaner.
The tank will probably just have macro and maybe some zoas or something requiring about the same care. We are experimenting with a DIY LED fixture so I don't actually know what corals it'll be able to support. But I don't want too much light because it encourages nuisance algae.

aquaguy24

my lfs had the elos led fixture over a nano...they keep sps in there and they look pretty happy...but not sure if the diy led would perform the same.. any update pics...i just got a red angler myself..currently in my hob fuge...tryin to get him to eat frozen...im building a 10g for him cuz hes so small..about 1in...hes in my avatar..got at my lfs for $60..

cranberry

Your's is awesome. That's the only updated pic I have that you see above that I just took. He has to be in this one area of the pico for me to be able to get a pic. I can't wait to get him in the new tank. Lot's of pictures then! I want to photo document him changing into his adult coloration.

aquaguy24

cool can't wait for the pics...i've readin on commerson anglers...looks to me that i have one...i read they can get fairly large and need 100g and up....if mines gets that large i might have to give him up later...
..im gettin more attached to the angler then my leaf scrops..how big is ur angler now..

cranberry

The thing I can't figure out is the photo progression in Scott Michael's Reef Fishes book volume 1. The "baby" starts out just like mine and then there are a couple of others shots of it turning into a warty. Page 332 for those of you that have it. It was hard to argue with a photo progression. But when matching up characteristics, to us it matched a pictus.

cranberry

What it will look like from the bed.....

Hole in the back for the ice probe.

We're using a Ranco temp controller with the unit.

anjiro

Sorry to hear about the loss... Post a pic of the new guy when you get a chance, we would all love to see him!

cranberry

I pushed through some wire into each of the stripes. Broke one so I'll just do it with 4 for now. But I want to just get an idea of how bright it is (or isn't).

4 on my ruler.

Laid over the tank....

Lights it up pretty good for not having a reflector yet.