27 dead at Connecticut Elementary School

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/120#post_3504452
You people better start hidin your guns. Obama spoke last night in Newtown, and said "something" needs to be done to protect the future of our children. He didn't get into specifics, but I guarantee you the issue of assault rifles will be hitting Congress sometime the first part of next yeart.
No need to hide anything. They MIGHT get a mag ban in place which is exactly why I bought a bunch of them a couple months ago. I've never fired and AR with anything larger than a 15 round mag in it. But like last time the 15 bux I spent on them will double or triple in a year.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/120#post_3504454
Mandatory bullet proof "turtle" suites for all children. Whoever creates and pattens it will be rich....it could be cool looking, like a spider-man suite, that covers from head to toe, we have the technology. Maybe go on that show "Shark tank" and get some funding. That suite they used in an advertisement for the lottery for life would work just fine.
SOMETHING could mean many things besides taking your guns away, because there are still way too many weapons in the hands of the bad guys already to try and stop it. It's the computer age, we could do school classes without leaving home. TV has been teaching kids since I was little. Having all our children in a cluster needs to be changed...they are targets now, and we need to evolve. The teachers have been bellyaching for years about the over-sized classes. Maybe only have the kids who can't learn well go to school for one on one help.
That may work for the middle school and high school kids that don't need parent supervision during the day and can stay home on their own to attend "virtual" classes. But what do you do with the Elementary kids? The days of one of the parents staying home to take care of kids are long gone. Sad state of our socierty when you now have to think of our kids as "potential targets". Bring back the days of Leave It To Beaver anytime...

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504459
No need to hide anything. They MIGHT get a mag ban in place which is exactly why I bought a bunch of them a couple months ago. I've never fired and AR with anything larger than a 15 round mag in it. But like last time the 15 bux I spent on them will double or triple in a year.
I used my AR primarily for deer hunting. Never had more than a 5 round clip in it, unless we were playing Rambo on a cactus when hunting in the Big Bend area. I dropped at least five 200-250 lb. Mule Deer with a .223 shell.

S

saxman

@bionicarm...
You obviously aren't as sharp in terms of guns are you think...none of the weapons you keep complaining about use a CLIP...it's called a MAGAZINE, thank you very much. If you're gonna talk trash, at least use the proper terms.
There are lots of peeps with heads full of bad wiring, which is EXACTLY what happened here. Back when you could get surplus weapons via mail order, you never heard about things like this happening, as the laws actually had teeth and folks knew what would happen to them. Now everyone gets a slap on the wrist and told to play nice. The laws are in place, enforce them and make them stick.
All this is, is a knee-jerk reaction to a terrible tragedy...

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504461
I used my AR primarily for deer hunting. Never had more than a 5 round clip in it, unless we were playing Rambo on a cactus when hunting in the Big Bend area. I dropped at least five 200-250 lb. Mule Deer with a .223 shell.
Probably most of my AR shooting was done with a 5 round mag. The DCM shoots limited you to an 8 round clip or mag because that's what the M1 Garands used which were legal for the shoots. If they ban mags I do have a couple polymer 30 rounders I'll probably load up and have for my doomsday prepper bag LOL!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504460
That may work for the middle school and high school kids that don't need parent supervision during the day and can stay home on their own to attend "virtual" classes. But what do you do with the Elementary kids? The days of one of the parents staying home to take care of kids are long gone. Sad state of our socierty when you now have to think of our kids as "potential targets". Bring back the days of Leave It To Beaver anytime...
Yes the horrible truth is that like it or not, our kids are the new targets. From little-hood to college students. I also would love to see the Leave it to Beaver days but that can't happen. Like I mentioned, it's time to evolve on how we educate our kids. The money spent on education can be adapted to fit the need of society. We pay for daycare, some with government help...just stretch that money instead for a stay at home teacher/babysitter...even just a supervisor to make sure the virtual system is used. Money can be saved on the upkeep of the public school buildings and supplies...and directed to a virtual school system.
I'm not saying that is the solution, just one idea. The point is we need to not put all our children at risk. The kids in City schools for example are exposed to gangs and drugs. To have virtual schooling would protect our kids if they were at home and supervised...safe from a mass attack, sheltered from the gang recruitment and drugs. Mass education just isn't working in America anymore, the schools are overcrowded. The kids don't respect the teachers, the teachers are getting to where they are at wits end. We are creating lunitics that think drugs and gangs are the solution to life problems and when they reach the breaking point...they kill. We already know that bullying is out of hand and kids are terrified to even attend school...it's time to change.
We can't get rid of the guns the nuts have, and taking them away from normal folks only means the crazies will be armed and the law abiding people will be stripped of self defense ...so that isn't the solution. The anti-gun folks are just using this tragidy for their anti-gun aganda. We need a real solution that takes our youth out of danger.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504462
@bionicarm...
You obviously aren't as sharp in terms of guns are you think...none of the weapons you keep complaining about use a CLIP...it's called a MAGAZINE, thank you very much. If you're gonna talk trash, at least use the proper terms.
There are lots of peeps with heads full of bad wiring, which is EXACTLY what happened here. Back when you could get surplus weapons via mail order, you never heard about things like this happening, as the laws actually had teeth and folks knew what would happen to them. Now everyone gets a slap on the wrist and told to play nice. The laws are in place, enforce them and make them stick.
All this is, is a knee-jerk reaction to a terrible tragedy...
Tell the 27 families it's a "knee jerk" reaction. Based on your 'technical' term of what's a "clip" and what's a "magazine", I can obviously tell your age.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504466
Yes the horrible truth is that like it or not, our kids are the new targets. From little-hood to college students. I also would love to see the Leave it to Beaver days but that can't happen. Like I mentioned, it's time to evolve on how we educate our kids. The money spent on education can be adapted to fit the need of society. We pay for daycare, some with government help...just stretch that money instead for a stay at home teacher/babysitter...even just a supervisor to make sure the virtual system is used. Money can be saved on the upkeep of the public school buildings and supplies...and directed to a virtual school system.
I'm not saying that is the solution, just one idea. The point is we need to not put all our children at risk. The kids in City schools for example are exposed to gangs and drugs. To have virtual schooling would protect our kids if they were at home and supervised...safe from a mass attack, sheltered from the gang recruitment and drugs. Mass education just isn't working in America anymore, the schools are overcrowded. The kids don't respect the teachers, the teachers are getting to where they are at wits end. We are creating lunitics that think drugs and gangs are the solution to life problems and when they reach the breaking point...they kill. We already know that bullying is out of hand and kids are terrified to even attend school...it's time to change.
We can't get rid of the guns the nuts have, and taking them away from normal folks only means the crazies will be armed and the law abiding people will be stripped of self defense ...so that isn't the solution. The anti-gun folks are just using this tragidy for their anti-gun aganda. We need a real solution that takes our youth out of danger.
Tell that to the Aussie's:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/16/gun_control_after_connecticut_shooting_could_australia_s_laws_provide_a.html
With the economy the way it is, and the complete separation of classes these days, middle income families can't afford to "stretch their dollars" to have what would be a considered a luxury to stay home for the sake of educating your kids. There's also the cost of the technology required to support these types of classrooms. Video can take a nice chunk of bandwidth on not only a personal network, but that of a school's. If you wanted to teaching 500 kids in a "virtual classroom" all at once, your network costs alone would be $10,000 - $20,000/month to provide the large enough circuits to support all that video and voice traffic. Then there's the issue of supplying all the required computers to those lower income families that can't afford a computer, or the monthly cost for the network "pipe" needed to stream quality video from their homes. There's also the issue for the families that have different aged kids. How do you split up the time if you have three kids in school, and one is in 1st grade, another in 6th, and another in 9th? Three computers and spend $80/month for the bandwidth? The school district I'm in has 10 high schools alone. I think it supports something like 250,000 students across the district from Elementary to High School. Then there's the issue of extra-curricular activities. Will there no longer be swim teams, track, baseball, football, Cheer, Band, basketball.... I could go on, but you get the idea.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504485
Tell that to the Aussie's:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/16/gun_control_after_connecticut_shooting_could_australia_s_laws_provide_a.html
With the economy the way it is, and the complete separation of classes these days, middle income families can't afford to "stretch their dollars" to have what would be a considered a luxury to stay home for the sake of educating your kids. There's also the cost of the technology required to support these types of classrooms. Video can take a nice chunk of bandwidth on not only a personal network, but that of a school's. If you wanted to teaching 500 kids in a "virtual classroom" all at once, your network costs alone would be $10,000 - $20,000/month to provide the large enough circuits to support all that video and voice traffic. Then there's the issue of supplying all the required computers to those lower income families that can't afford a computer, or the monthly cost for the network "pipe" needed to stream quality video from their homes. There's also the issue for the families that have different aged kids. How do you split up the time if you have three kids in school, and one is in 1st grade, another in 6th, and another in 9th? Three computers and spend $80/month for the bandwidth? The school district I'm in has 10 high schools alone. I think it supports something like 250,000 students across the district from Elementary to High School. Then there's the issue of extra-curricular activities. Will there no longer be swim teams, track, baseball, football, Cheer, Band, basketball.... I could go on, but you get the idea.
Well...How much will it cost to have an armed guard at each and every school? How much money was and will be spent on metal detectors at the doors of the more violent schools? How much does it cost for a funeral for a child who was the victim of the latest nut case gone wild? The money is already there, it just needs to be re-distributed, so the educational system can be revamped. I'm not talking about each family footing the bill...tons of money is already being spent each year on the public school system...upkeep of the building, school supplies and protective measures and people in commities being paid to come up with useless to date solutions...All paid for by our tax dollars and we are constantly being told it will cost us even more in taxes every time we turn around. Why pour the money into a now defunct system, it's time for a major overhaul/upgrade.
As for what to do with more than one child...families find a way. All the effort put out screaming about the gun laws and nobody is even willing to consider another route. All I can say to that...OMG, we might have to activly raise our own children!!!! The horror! I had three children, and I really wanted something like what I'm talking about. My kids went to Chicago schools and right now, it's a war zone, the kids in the gangs are killing the non-gang members and those in opposing gangs. It's a blood bath and more kids are dying than the 20 kids getting all the attention right now. Our kids are in real danger and it's the manditory law of education that is making them a target. Our kids need to be home and safe from the streets, besides the nuts who break into windows and go on a killing spree.

bionicarm

Like I said, we don't live in a Leave It To Beaver world any longer. I was raised that way, but that was back in the 60's and 70's. It's not feasible any longer in today's world. Some of my best memories and experiences happened when I was in school. Now because people think they need to resort to violence against someone else for whatever personal problems they may have, we're supposed to completely change our lifestyles and the way we teach and raise our kids. Where do you stop? Kids can no longer socialize at the mall? Kids can't go out on the streets of their own neighborhood to play? No more playgrounds? No more Community Centers? Apparently the movie theaters are no longer safe. So let's just lock all the kids up in their individual houses, and they can have virtual schools, and virtual "play dates", their social lives consists of nothing but Twitter and Facebook. Want to play in the band? Everybody login to a Online Conference and play away. Doesn't matter if the sound sucks. Want to play football, baseball? XBox360 baby. You're high school football stars are based on who can play Madden 2013 the best. THat's the world the gun fanatics want. Let me have my toys, you lock yourself up in a prison. Oh wait. Better yet. Let's just go back to the Wild West days where ebery single person is walking around with a six-shooter on their sides. I can just see all the crime just disappear....

reefraff

The bev didn't live in a leave it to beaver world but watch some of those 50's and 60's TV shows and you can see how far down the toilet our culture has gone. When kids are not taught to have any respect for authority and see that in a great many cases there are no real consequences for their behavior you get what we see today. Likely didn't have a lot to do with this guy other than we go so far to try to explain and excuse abhorrent behavior by kids rather than dealing with them you get some scary actors walking about unfettered.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504490
Like I said, we don't live in a Leave It To Beaver world any longer. I was raised that way, but that was back in the 60's and 70's. It's not feasible any longer in today's world. Some of my best memories and experiences happened when I was in school. Now because people think they need to resort to violence against someone else for whatever personal problems they may have, we're supposed to completely change our lifestyles and the way we teach and raise our kids. Where do you stop? Kids can no longer socialize at the mall? Kids can't go out on the streets of their own neighborhood to play? No more playgrounds? No more Community Centers? Apparently the movie theaters are no longer safe. So let's just lock all the kids up in their individual houses, and they can have virtual schools, and virtual "play dates", their social lives consists of nothing but Twitter and Facebook. Want to play in the band? Everybody login to a Online Conference and play away. Doesn't matter if the sound sucks. Want to play football, baseball? XBox360 baby. You're high school football stars are based on who can play Madden 2013 the best. THat's the world the gun fanatics want. Let me have my toys, you lock yourself up in a prison. Oh wait. Better yet. Let's just go back to the Wild West days where ebery single person is walking around with a six-shooter on their sides. I can just see all the crime just disappear....
BIG SIGH...I know, I know...it's a pipe dream. I think I will go back to the turtle suit that can never be, and keep my opinions to myself. Our world is indeed in the toilet. I see things in the city, but in reality, not all schools are as messed up as the inner city ones.There are lots of good moral parents, and sweet children that still play with ..LOL..monster dolls (instead of Barbie, but it's still a doll).

uneverno

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504491
The bev didn't live in a leave it to beaver world but watch some of those 50's and 60's TV shows and you can see how far down the toilet our culture has gone. When kids are not taught to have any respect for authority and see that in a great many cases there are no real consequences for their behavior you get what we see today. Likely didn't have a lot to do with this guy other than we go so far to try to explain and excuse abhorrent behavior by kids rather than dealing with them you get some scary actors walking about unfettered.
Uhh...
So, respecting authority is the question? ST*U and obey?
What if authority is wrong?
Is submission to power still the right answer?

uneverno

At what point do we arrive at the conclusion that regulation is unnecessary, the problem is certain to fix itself?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504505
BIG SIGH...I know, I know...it's a pipe dream. I think I will go back to the turtle suit that can never be, and keep my opinions to myself. Our world is indeed in the toilet. I see things in the city, but in reality, not all schools are as messed up as the inner city ones.There are lots of good moral parents, and sweet children that still play with ..LOL..monster dolls (instead of Barbie, but it's still a doll).
My father's relative's live in the "country". Home town, population 300. They have to drive 8 miles to the " big town" (population 2500) to go to school. If they don't raise their meat, they shoot it. It's probably the closest to Leave It To Beaver in modern times that I can think of.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/140#post_3504528
My father's relative's live in the "country". Home town, population 300. They have to drive 8 miles to the " big town" (population 2500) to go to school. If they don't raise their meat, they shoot it. It's probably the closest to Leave It To Beaver in modern times that I can think of.
Maybe the over population of certain areas are to blame for the violence. I read once that rats are very social creatures UNTIL there are too many in the colony, and then they start hoarding food and fighting. Small and tiny towns like the one you describe are indeed "Leave it to Beaver" kind of folks...once people flock there to get away from the "rat race" before you know it, the population doubles and they end up creating another one.