280g FOWLR Tank Diary

R

rcreations

Cool looking tank! I can't wait to see it filled up! Good luck with it.

kjr_trig

Awesome!!! Love that you did the "L" away from the corner instead of into the corner, will be really impressive. Sorry T enecor took so long (being I think I suggested them
), but hopefully you are happy with the finished product. I think they do a great job, just a little slow.

kylev

Thanks, Tenecor talking their time definetely paid off the tank was more than I had expected and I guess this hobby is all about patience anyways. I am just glad to have the tank in my possession cause now I've got tons of work to do. My internet is really crappy at home and Im at work now otherwise I'd be posting pictures of my progress but hopefully that will be solved soon. But currently the tank sits on its rough framed stand inside the house. I have also torn out the closet wall, got the qt stand/shelving framed, and have started to frame the walls back in. Soon its going to be time to plumb.

kylev

Thanks reefaholic, I couldnt be more excited to get some water flowing in it. I fly out to vegas thursday for the wknd and it almost makes me want to stay home and work on it. The L shape just leaves for so many possiblities, I think i'm going to aquascape the shorter end a little more dense with rock for coral then leave the long side more open for swimming

kylev

Current update and question, sorry no pictures but I've got the wiring all roughed in and have started to plumb, but I am curious as to how you guys think I should plumb the overflows. They are both exiting through 1 1/4" PVC, the one further away from the sump will travel right across where the other exits. Would you T them into each other at that point and run one line to the sump or would you run each separately the whole way? It would be easier to T them together but I want to run them in the most efficient way.
Thanks

ironeagle2006

T them together into a 2 inch line. Then run the 2 inch line into the Sump from that one point. That would be how I would do it and I asked 3 differant people in my reef club and all of them gave me the same answer for that. BTW one of them has a 1200 gallon setup in his Resturant so he would know about major plumbing issues.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/3299223
T them together into a 2 inch line. Then run the 2 inch line into the Sump from that one point. That would be how I would do it and I asked 3 differant people in my reef club and all of them gave me the same answer for that. BTW one of them has a 1200 gallon setup in his Resturant so he would know about major plumbing issues.
I agree

kylev

Here's a couple new photos. First being the stand rebuilt, the floor inside my house was a little un-level so I re-cut all the legs and basically rebuilt it in place. I am much happier with how much more sturdy/level it is, I even put some 6" timberlock screws going through the 4"x4"s into the studs in the wall since I'm going to have to replace sheatrock if its ever moved anyways. The second picture is my new protein skimmer (obviously) that I found outside my front door after fishing which I am very excited about.

kylev

Thanks, I just wish I had more time to put into the tank right now to get it up and running sooner, and I'll let you know how the skimmer works out kjr.

hefner413

Are you going to put a bottom on over the hardwood floor? I'm about to move my 180 to my new house and will likely seal the inside of the stand in the event of my wet/dry overflowing. Then I have water alarms inside the stand to alert of the leak. In my old house, it leaked onto the hardwood a few times and I'm afraid of what it's going to look like when I move it...

kylev

Good question Hefner and now that I think about it my answer is yes, thanks. I would hate to move the tank and find the floor turned to crap underneath. I might just line it with a rubber membrane that will hold any water in and hopefully allow it to evaporate

kylev

I'm about ready to order up my sand for the tank and I know I want black and about 3"-4". My questions are would 250#'s be enough or too much, and does anyone have a certain brand to shop for or avoid?

Thanks

kylev

does anyone have any input on a good height for the water to be on the protein skimmer? The instructions didnt say a lot but I am guessing enough to cover the pump a touch so about in the middle of the super reef octopus label??

kylev

Time for an update. The plumbing is done, the electrical is done, I ended up running a sub panel for the power to the tank that has 10-3 wiring running from the main break panel to it which should be able to handle 30 amps no problem. The fish room is insulated and sheatrocked and just needs its garage access to be framed and insulated with some double swing doors. The R/O unit is hooked up and running and the tank has had some water added. So now it is just time to wait for the r/o to supply me with water. I also bought another 40 pounds of live rock today from the LFS for 2.50 a pound since I am friends with the guy and it has been housed without lights on it so he believed it to be dead with i dont believe is the case. I also have 300 pounds of black sand on the way. Here are some pictures, any suggestions are appreciated

kylev

The dolphin pump will definetely over exceed the gph of my overflows I am just hoping the manufacturer was accurate when he said they are designed to put a ball valve right outside the discharge to adjust the flow which will in return lower the amps they draw. This was there reconmended method in order to maximize the water circulation. I still dont have enough r/o yet to get the pump on constanstly so I'm hoping for the best