280g FOWLR Tank Diary

meowzer

I have mine in a canister filter.....
w/o knowing what options you have...it's hard to tell you where to put it

kylev

If you look on page 7 you'll see pictures of the sump and on page 8 theres a picture of the refugium I added. The only things that have changed is theres now a protein skimmer in the sump next to where the overflow comes in and I have cheato growing ontop of the eggcrate thats in the refugium.
A few idea I have are. In the overflow filter sock inside the sump? just laying on the bottom of the sump? The top part of the refugium where the water comes in would hold it real nice but then would block the light from getting to the cheato? Add a sock to the protein skimmer discharge and put it there?

kylev

BTW: My new ATI lights are hanging over my tank and they are awesome. I'm still not done sanding though so I cant fully enjoy them on the one side yet. There is definetely a nice color contrast between a blue and white side, I'm still not sure on how much I like it but will wait for fish before I change anything because I want to see how the colors appear as they swim from one side to the other.

R

rcreations

The chemi-pure should be in a high flow area where the water is forced to run through it, not around it. Problem with putting it on the bottom or in a sock is that most of the water will run around it. Does your refugium have a compartment for filter media? Another option is to have a canister filter or HOB filter in the sump. If you have an old one laying around, you can use it.

kylev

The refugium does have a compartment, it would just cover the cheato from the lights. Would it work to put it in the overflows in the tank where the water falls before it goes down the standpipe?

R

rcreations

Yeah, if you can find a way to secure it there so the water falls on it and through, that would work. But you don't really need any chemical filtration, especially this early. I have an established tank that's pretty well stocked and I never used any chemical filtration. I use Matrix but those just act like small LR chunks. A good skimmer and refugium should be enough for any tank as long as you don't overfeed or overstock and do regular water changes.

kylev

Heres some new pics with the lights hanging. I still need to clean up my wiring
I'm going to open a poll thread but need help deciding between; keeping the bulbs the way they are, changing the white side to match the blue, or change the white side to a tint of purple/more blue.
I'm pretty indecisive on how I feel about it right now, but either way very happy with them

R

rcreations

Yes, very cool looking tank!
I wonder if it makes any difference to the fish that one part is white and the other is blue?

kylev

Thanks, its finally coming together
RC, I have thought about the same thing and I also thought about how cool it could possibly make the coloration/reflections on some fish look/change as they swim from the blue to white or visa versa

kylev

Thanks for the compliments they are much appreciated.
Time for another question though. I'm thinking about a controller, mainly to time my lights with, but I would like to be able to run most of my equipment off of it if I want to down the line. I'd also like it to be able to give me updates through a computer or phone incase i'm out of town.? It would be nice to add probes to test some water params down the road as well. Any suggestions?

kylev

The more I read about the neptune controllers by aquacontroller the more I'm convinced they are the way to go. Does anyone know what the lite unit does that the standard doesnt?

kylev

Yes they did and heres some pictures of them and a few pieces of coral. The smaller clown is definitely my favorite.

kylev

LFS has a really nice coral beauty I'd like to buy. Would it be a bad idea to QT it with the clowns?