34 Gallon Solana build

patrick8929

A few months ago I started a post in the newbie section but wasn't ready to set up the tank yet. After designing and building the stand over the last couple of day I have salt and sand arriving to the house this week! Tomorrow water and salt will go in! Super excited to get this thing up and running.

Attachments

patrick8929

Forgot to take pics of the LEDs will get some tomorrow. I will also need help figuring out if the LEDs I have will be good enough for corals, hard and soft. Will do some research on my own as well!

patrick8929

I like the way they look, but all I have is blue and a few whites so the blue is very over powering. And I don't know what sort of output they have.

patrick8929

This forum went dead :( I miss the way it used to be about 5 years ago. I'd have a new reply every 30 seconds. Glad to see there are still people in the hobby though! Hard to find local saltwater shops too..

lmforbis

I hear it used to be more active years ago. Only been here about a year and a half.
There are some helpful people here and I like being able to get consistent answers from a few people on some issues rather than a ton of contradictory replies that I have to wade through and figure out what is crap and what is good advise like I get on RC.

patrick8929

Yea I can understand that! I think the people that have stuck around on this site are the ones with the most experience and that can't be a bad thing! It's been a long time sense I have cycled a tank. I got my salt and sand today, I was going to pick up some rock and hermits at the store today and let that go to work. Any changes to that plan I need to make?

jay0705

A ton of peeps have gone mia. Some just fed up w all the spam, ect. Others life happens. Its tough, there is a good core still, but yea it can take a bit to get a reply

lmforbis

I'd hold off on the CUC until your ammonia spike has gone down. Many start their cycle with a dead raw shrimp. Some just ghost feed.

patrick8929

Okay I'll hold off on the hermits and just get rock. If just get like 10 lbs is that enough to get the cycle going?

jay0705

Define rock lol. I say live rock but what alot of places sell as lr is just wet rock. Good live tock w alage, sponge, growth, ect yes that will help. Just plain "live" rock no, then u will need to jump start the cycle. Raw shrimp, ghost feeding, ect

patrick8929

Right, by rock I mean live rock. I can't speak to the quality of the rock as far as maturity and what not. I'll make sure it has some growth on it though and then I will ghost feed I guess.

jay0705

Good plan. If rock is covered in coraline, its usually good rock. The whitish, brown type rock is the stuff I wonder about. Just how live it is. Base rock is excellent to expand your rock too, and much cheaper. The actual live rock will seed the base

jay0705

Carib sea life rock is a live rock alternative. I like it, but wouldn't use it as my only live rock. You just can't beat the real thing

patrick8929

Found out there is a new LFS in my city! Went by today to grab some filter material and check out there stock. The have a pretty good supply of fish and corals but my concern with there "live rock" is they get it shipped in boxes and because they sell it so quickly they dont put it in their tanks... They just leave it in the boxes wrapped in wet towels and plastic.. idk how long it sits there and i imagine most things on it are pretty much dead buy the time i buy it?

patrick8929

im going to try and buy some of the rock they have in the tanks but idk if they will sell it to me because of how little they do have in the tanks. All the fish seem healthy though and i am confident in their knowledge so thats good