34 Gallon Solana build

jay0705

The stuff in the box would start your cycle bc of the dead stuff on it. I wouldn't pay live rock price for it tho

bang guy

Live rock starts to decline after 24 hours or so after it has been pulled.

That said, most live rock has been out of the water for several days to a week before it even gets to a store. It still has a ton of good stuff on it if it has been kept warm and moist.

I still prefer the Gulf aquacultured live rock. It's more dense so you pay more even though it's less perpound (if that makes sense). The advantage is they can pull it in the early morning and ship it one day air and get it to you that afternoon. It's not nearly as shapely and as I mentioned, more dense, but the amout of life on it is incredible.

patrick8929

okay cool, good stuff to know! They have great prices at this store! $4 a lb. thats the best i have seen anyway. i got about 12 lbs. a few pounds of it was dry rock because that was even cheaper but the rock i got was mostly purple all over. Picked up a redsea reef testkit and some stuff that the LFS owner says will cycle the tank in 7 days. it was only 5 bucks so i figured why not. i will obviously still test the water and not just start throwing stuff in it after 7 days. pics to come in a bit

lmforbis

The wavelengths are pretty good but I'm not sure about the other graph that looks like a airplane tail. What brand is the light?
In my experience the lights with only blue and white are not powerful enough if you want coral and without a little bit of the other colors things in the tank just don't look the way I want. I use Kessils on mine.

patrick8929

the brand is wave point. Someone on RC said its about like having 3 T5 lights, one white and two blue. I dont know how acurate tht is but i think im going to end up buying tthe AI prime LED light. I was looking at it last night and am very impressed for the price of 199

lmforbis

They are only 1watt LEDs so I'd say probably not enough plus if you don't like the way it is so blue it isn't worth it. I've never used AI prime but I've heard good things about them. Their specs are certainly better.

jay0705

the brand is wave point. Someone on RC said its about like having 3 T5 lights, one white and two blue. I dont know how acurate tht is but i think im going to end up buying tthe AI prime LED light. I was looking at it last night and am very impressed for the price of 199
How big is your tank

jay0705

Sorry its length

patrick8929

I think I am going to go with the prime LEDs anyway. I'll hold on to the ones I have until the cycle is over. May use them for a sump or something at some point. Although I wasn't planning on setting one up..

patrick8929

okay guys i need some help. I guess i messed up putting the water and sand in. the sand said no rinse but i think i should have rinsed it. there is a layer of dust on everything and anytime i turn my power heads and pump on the whole tank is cloudy and wont go away at all... should i take out all the water and start over? after all this build up im upset that my tank is just a big cloudy mess...

jay0705

The cloud will settle its normal. As far as lights. I'am not a coral guy, however I did get these bc I can keep softies w them if I want.

patrick8929

its been a full 24 hours and there has been 0 change. but i guess ill let it go! and yea i just looked them up. theyy have a size that would fit my tank. hey look great actually. they are definitely on the list now!