34 Gallon Solana build

patrick8929

I do have another question. I want to get one more piece of live rock, but if it has anything dead or dying on it I'm sure it will cause a spike. How do I avoid this?

bang guy

I'll try and have one set up before I get more fish. Just need a tank and a heater. I have a filter already and I assume I can just use water from my main tank so it doesn't have to cycle? I'll probably just get a 2.5 gallon..
Yep, but it's better to maintain a cycled QT. You'll need to do LARGE water changes every day in an uncycled QT.

bang guy

Okay no problem I can always just cycle a new tank if that's better.
Get a cheap sponge filter and place it in your display tank for a week or so. Then when you put it in the QT it will be instantly "partially" cycled.

Never re-use the sponge, always start with a new one.

somwan

I like the way they look, but all I have is blue and a few whites so the blue is very over powering. And I don't know what sort of output they have.
Fun Fun blog here.

Last edited by a moderator:

patrick8929

I like the way they look, but all I have is blue and a few whites so the blue is very over powering. And I don't know what sort of output they have.
Fun Fun blog here.
I'm guessing you are talking about your lights?
What kind do you have?

patrick8929

So I have this piece of dead live rock. I want to add it to the tank but it has dead algae on it, I've scrubbed it the best I could, but I'm not sure what else to do to make sure it's okay to go in. I here people talk about curing live rock but it's literally just one piece of rock..

lmforbis

I'd put it in a tub of water, one with a lid cause it will likely smell, and just let it soak for a couple weeks. Change the water out every couple days. This is what I usually do with dry rock. I do spray it down with the sprayer really good several times during the process, before I actually put it into the tank. I see curing as getting the bacteria going for good bio filtration but if it is an addition to an existing tank you already have the bio filtration and all you really need is for the addition of this piece of rock to not cause the system to be disrupted. It doesn't need to have the bacteria growing on it but it does need to have all the crap that may cause an ammonia spike to be fully decomposed. When you do put it in the tank I'd watch the ammonia pretty close since your tank is so small. For me to add a new piece of rock to my 125 isn't as big of a deal as it is for you to add one to your 34 gallon tank.