415 Gallon Plywood Tank Build

acrylic51

Hey Henry!!!! Ijust finished building the frag and through the various builds and plan changes the lines and pumps are already run to pull water from the main sump to supply the frag tank. Basically just drop the frag tank into place and hook up the lines.
The frag tank will be a mix of both, but at some point I'm leaning more towards SPS. Nothing set in concrete as we speak but tentative plans. No plans to frag and sell for profit. We have a lot of frag swaps so it would be used more for that purpose of trading and housing new additions till they are ready for the main tank.
The skimmer for the main tank is more than capable of handling the addition of the frag system, but I also have at my disposal an additional Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 skimmer if I'd opt to separate the systems. I prefer to tie them together but certain issues of red bugs and such keep coming to the fore front of everything. Curious as to how easily would or could they be transferred to the main display through the sump?
On a side note I've pretty much made up my mind to go BB on the tank. I guess with that decision it pretty much negates my anenome plans I had contemplated....

spanko

Then yes, all manner of things can and do transfer through plumbing from one tank to another. Pump impellers cannot be relied on 100% to chop up bad actors. Especially the tiny red bugs.

acrylic51

Thanks Henry!!!!! My buddy is trying to reassure me that a UV sterilizer on tje drain line from the frag tank would solve the issue. The argument jas become rather heated.
Whats your take on dipping? Coral Rx or Lugol's?

sweatervest13

I know that it would not 100% cover you. But what about putting a large UV Sterilizer on the out plumbing of the frag tank??
From Reefkeeping Mag:
Use of an ultraviolet sterilizer or a canister filter can help control flatworms that reproduce sexually and produce offspring that undergo a free-swimming stage, but almost all flatworms also produce asexually through division and that would make germicidal lamps and filters ineffective.
Like I said it is not 100% but if the choice is to have the frag system plumbed into the main system, than a UV would at least help a little verses not having anything.
Just throwing out ideas for you. Glad to see you back on here buddy!!

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/376802/415-gallon-plywood-tank-build/2000#post_3530038
Thanks Henry!!!!! My buddy is trying to reassure me that a UV sterilizer on tje drain line from the frag tank would solve the issue. The argument jas become rather heated.
Whats your take on dipping? Coral Rx or Lugol's?
I guess I was a minute late and a dollar short.

What about the Bayer Advance pest control dip?? I have heard good things about that. I plan on picking up some this weekend for dips. I have done a simple iodine dip on corals going into my system. But I don't know if that kills most things.

spanko

I don't think that the UV would be an effective solution.
Coral Rx (8ml/3.785L)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/4/aafeature2
Also found this on the Bayer
"

Bayer Complete Insect Killer can be purchased as a liquid or granular formulation of the neonicotenoid insecticide imidacloprid. Read the label before applying any pesticide as the label says extremely toxic to aquatic organisms including fish. Also, the label provides important items like first aid information, ingredients, and dosage recommendations. Often a pesticide will contain petroleum based oils or surfactants to keep it in solution and these chemicals can also be quite toxic to aquatic life as well. You might consider yourself lucky as you could have nuked your entire tank. This type of insecticide is a systemic treatment when used on plants. In other words, its absorbed by the plant's tissue and lasts or persists in the plant's tissue for an extended period of time. No one really knows whether its absorbed by coral tissue, nor do we know the LD50 for this chemical on coral tissue. I would use lots of activated carbon to help remove any residue that may cause future problems. I hope this helps everybody.....Jim Z."

acrylic51

I've been eyeing the Coral Rx and have read people using the Bayer but haven't read many horror stories though..... but as pointed out no one really knows the long term affect of some of this stuff.
I had argued that the UV would add much to the equation but my buddy has a mind of his own at times.....

acrylic51

Yeah, what's going on over here? You told me you'd be back on the system by july. You still messin with your friends build over there?
Yeah Corey.... that freakin sump is still sitting in the garage and daily I get asked when I'm going to het the fuge partition in place. If I would have followed normal build procedures I use I wouldn't have had the leakage issue I had to deal with. Hoping this weekend to get some done. The girlfriend is out of town and I was politely told there better be progress made or else!!!!

2quills

Can you simply do a small quarantine tank for frags and then use the tank that you already have set up to tie into the sump as a grow out tank?

acrylic51

Alright guys....Making a little progress on the system.....Sorta...I got the QT setup and running....Currently have 2 guys in QT at the moment.....1 is a Yellow Tang and the other is a Kole Tang. On introduction it was a bit ugly, but day 2 seems to be rather peaceful, with both hanging out together......

Today I've turned my attention to building the frag tank for the system.....I guess I'm looking for some input as to what to run for lighting......I'd like to keep the lighting consistent being the DT will be run with LEDs. I'm considering running LEDs over the frag system as well, but I have a MH system I got from Flower awhile back I was considering using over the frag system. Being it didn't cost anything for the MH system other than I have to purchase bulbs vs an LED system......The LED system I'm considering is the Hydras or Kessil 360W......

What is every ones thoughts......

sweatervest13

I would try and stick with LEDs for the frag tank. That way it would save you some time and work when you move corals from the frag tank to the DT.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/376802/415-gallon-plywood-tank-build/2020#post_3530590
Alright guys....Making a little progress on the system.....Sorta...I got the QT setup and running....Currently have 2 guys in QT at the moment.....1 is a Yellow Tang and the other is a Kole Tang. On introduction it was a bit ugly, but day 2 seems to be rather peaceful, with both hanging out together......

Today I've turned my attention to building the frag tank for the system.....I guess I'm looking for some input as to what to run for lighting......I'd like to keep the lighting consistent being the DT will be run with LEDs. I'm considering running LEDs over the frag system as well, but I have a MH system I got from Flower awhile back I was considering using over the frag system. Being it didn't cost anything for the MH system other than I have to purchase bulbs vs an LED system......The LED system I'm considering is the Hydras or Kessil 360W......

What is every ones thoughts......

That's great that you are making progress on your system. I'm happy that you are continuing with it and everything is going ok with you. Text me sometime man, I would love to catch up.

I'm glad that your tangs are getting along together now. Are you also going to quarantine any of your corals before you add them to the display tank? After attending some of the lectures at MACNA this year, a lot of it was about quarantine and preventative measures. If I ever set up a large system again, every single coral that comes in will get quarantined before I add it to my main display. Bayer dips and all...

I've also been looking at all kinds of lighting options. I would go with LEDs over the frag tank as well... that way they will be accustomed to exactly the same light and water parameters. This way they will keep growing as needed instead of having to adjust to different lighting and perhaps browning or paling due to having to adjust. I would personally get the hydras. I know they are really nice and they are full spectrum and you can customize it to your eyes. I have actually seen it with my own eyes at my live fish store and it's very impressive, even at only 20% intensity - it's keeping SPS corals and zoas and shrooms all in the same tank. Very nice lights, IMHO. I Was actually looking at getting one for a cube tank that I am toying around with building.

acrylic51

Hey Al....hoping al is well? The tank is up mad running slowly stocking with corals. Slowly getting my hands on AI lighting. Corals are doing good, good growth under the cheap oldest but not crazy on control of the fixture and coral color.