500 gal reef converted to 850gal reef

steveweast

Actually....skimmer losses plus evaporation equals about 10gpd.
The hood is just a box that I built from 2 X 4's and particle board. I then covered the whole thing in Formica. I then put the whole thing on a sliding rail system from Home Depot that is more conventionally used for hanging barn doors. Here's a pic before it went up:

chris17

Earlier in the thread he said that it between evaporation and skimate he looses about 9gallons a day.
Steve, did you purchase the kalk,Calcium, and phosphate reactors??I am going to attempt to build a kalk,Calcium, and a skimmer for my new tank. . . . ..thanks for answering my questions!!!:jumping: :jumping:

chris17

WOW, those are some beast ballasts, that is cool how you have the hood on a sliding rail system. Very good idea. I was thinking of a way to do somthing like that for my new tank so that it wont be such a hassle to get into it.

sw65galma

Are you worried at all about chemicals from exhaust or anything else in the garage getting into the tank?
I was the one that asked about the weight limit of Wood I-beams earlier...
I'm still looking into it...but as a plan-B i'm looking at setting it up like you have it..in the garage with a looking room attached.
Thanks,

sammyg

Any news on your eagerly anticipated website? Will the address still be the same as you stated earlier?
Regarding your tank, I was wondering *approximately* how many species of corals are in there, and what proportion of it is soft/LPS/SPS.
Thanks!
Sam

sw65galma

Originally posted by seeweed
hey 65 get that 300 going

I just put it together last night.
I'll probably fire it up this weekend, once i decide where to put it.
I didn't realize how big it is until I put it in my house.
The tank alone is like 8FT long by 2 Ft wide by almost 3 FT tall.
Not to metion it will probably weigh 2 tons.
I'll post pics soon.

neowind

Can't wait to see the site up and running. Looks like it may be getting sooner? I am now getting a page can't be displayed instead of the normal ad site that was there. Can't wait to see it. :D

Steve - first let me say after seeing your tank from both sites, it still amazes me.
Second, If I could borrow you display room and include whoever is in Leopard_babe's avatar for just two hours - I could die a VERY happy man!

Lastly, will you do any tank consultations in the future? The reason I ask is I may be building a large tank 700 - 1000 gallons soon, and would love to pick your brain for a while.
Thanks!

steveweast

Some answers....
Acrylic is 1' thick on all sides plus top and bottom.
My reactors are made by Deltec.
The garage is well ventilated which prevents fumes from posing a problem....but, I still don't run the cars in the garage except when entering or leaving quickly.
My soft corals include one yellow leather, a few gorgonians, a patch of star polyps, some xenia, some mushrooms, and lots of ricordeas. LPS includes an elegence coral, a lobo, and a three year old goniopora......the rest is SPS (which is too much to count)
I don't do consultations...but, I will answer any question that I can.
The website is in the hands of the web designer. I think that he's nearly finished (although I may delay it since I finally decided to replace my four skimmers with one very large Deltec skimmer with self cleaning capabilitites and I would want that change reflected on the site)....he was having some trouble with the hosting service; but, I think that problem is resolved now.

alison

WOW Steve! Your tank is awe inspiring. I plan on building a 300 next summer, when I get some extra cash and some gift certificates from lowes. I have some builders in my family that would love to help me. Right now I only have 2- 55 gal's ones a reef the other a fish only. I think 300 is a good spot to start at in a larger reef. Enough to keep what you want without getting too expensive to keep up. By the way, I love your house photo too.
Questions: 1) What kind of glue, and melting process did you use to hold the acrylic together? 2) Did you buy metal halides from a hardware store, and adapt them yourself. 3) What kind of acrylic is safe to build with for a saltwater tank, and what thickness is best for a 300 gal.? Thanks for any info in advance.
:happyfish -alison

calvindo

WOW!!! holy cow, talking about eye candy! i get goose bumps just looking at your equipment. :eek: a definate dream tank!
how much does it cost you to keep the tank running?

chris17

Steve by far the best web site I have seen for sombodies tank. That worm is the scareist thing I have ever seen!!!!! Very nice site.

chris17

Steve,
In all the pictures you have I dont see your Co2 bottle. You do have one right?? Also, do you have any close up pictures of your calcium reactor, Kalk reactor, or phos. reactor?? I am trying to understand how it all hooks up, and how it all works. . .Thanks again:yes: