55gal. to 125gal. upgrade *updated pics on the last page*

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Does he have any redness on his body at all? How is he acting otherwise?

cubnb79

I dont see any redness anywhere...he has a total of four bumps two on one side and other on the other side in the same location....hes a little anti social basically hides most the time...dont seen him eating because hes hid....but when he does come out our I can see him hes swims normal never laying on it's side that I've seen

cubnb79

I dont see any redness anywhere...he has a total of four bumps two on one side and other on the other side in the same location....hes a little anti social basically hides most the time...dont seen him eating because hes hid....but when he does come out our I can see him hes swims normal never laying on it's side that I've seen

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I do see the bump, and he does look abnormally swollen. Since you said you have only had him a week, I'm assuming he did not go in to a quarantine tank before making it in to your display tank?
I don't have the best picture to make a better judgment call, but from the look of him he has a bacterial infection. Nothing you can do for him in the display tank since bacterial infections require antibiotic treatment in a quarantine.
What are your current water readings?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
cub, looks like your water conditions are good. If this problem is a bacterial infection, then it will have to resolve on its own, since you don't have a quarantine tank.
Wait and see, and if you can get a better pic up, that would be good.

cubnb79

thx beth...i just took one which is a better picture ill be posting here in a sec. he's being more out in the open being more sociable since i last posted was kinda worried for a min. looked like he was coming up for air but is moving around the tank like he should...i wonder if his pipes are clogged...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, his pipes aren't clogged. His condition looks extremely strange. How long ago was he "normal? Is the situation getting worse? Are those lumps on both sides, or just one side?

cubnb79

they are on both sides and the same location on both sides...3 or 4 days then i started to notice them...i dont think its getting worse but at the same time doesnt look better either but the only thing diffrent vs. the past couple days is he swimming around more so im hoping that's a good thing

xcali1985

This is what I was able to find. Sorry if any of it was already posted I didn't read the entire thread.
Sometimes fish develop various lumps, bumps, or growths. Here are some possibilities.

• Parasites- Various parasites can create lumps on fish. Tiny white bumps may be ick. Go here to see an example of goldfish with ick. Tiny black dots may be black spot. Larger lumps may be the result of larger parasites. For example, after an anchor worm or fish louse falls off, a fish may develop a red infected lump from the irritation. Go here to see an example of a goldfish with a red area resulting from anchor worm.

• Bacteria - Infections can cause raised areas on fish. If the entire fish is enlarged, it may have dropsy or a kidney malfunction. Fish tuberculosis sometimes manifests itself as acne-like boils that can rupture the skin of the fish. Go here to see an example of a zebra danio with a rupturing fish tuberculosis tumor. Bettas seem prone to developing localized dropsy-like symptoms where they become enlarged. When those areas are then popped with a pin, fluid comes out. The enlargement normally returns. This is different than cysts below which are much more localized (small in one area and not over most of the fish). Go here to see an example of a betta with tumors that were probably bacterial in nature that were stuck with a pin, and fluid came out.

• Cysts - Sometimes fish get fluid-filled lumps. They may result from an injured area or for no particular reason at all. They usually go away on their own and pose little threat to the fish.
    Viruses - Some viruses may cause lumpy areas. For example, carp pox can cause raised, black or gray waxy splotches on fish. The virus lymphocystis is also called cauliflower disease because it creates lumps that resemble cauliflower. Lymphocystis lumps are normally white or the color of the fish and tend to spread over the fish with time. Go here to see an example of a goldfish with a strange black lump that might be viral in nature.
    Tumors (non-bacterial) - Cancerous tumors are possible but rare. Fatty tumors are more common. Tumors will not go away. They can be removed surgically. Depending on what they are and how big they get, they may or may not be hazardous to the fish.

cubnb79

nope havent read that so in saying that im hoping for cysts...at least something that will run its course...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
LOL that info basically identified EVERYTHING as a possibility. Also, when you get info from another source, it must be identified in your post who is the actual author. Best not to copy/paste someone else's writing. That could be considered plagiarism, well intentioned or not.
It could be a cyst, but I can't see a cysts developing overnight. An infection, however, can develop rather rapidly.