60g Scorpion/Waspfish/Anthias Tank

cranberry

Well, we are nearing having our 60g open for our little guys. Meet some of the crew......
  • Ambon Scorpionfish (Pteroidicthys amboinensis
  • ) Venomous.[*]C.ockatoo Waspfish (Ablabys taenianotus
  • ) Highly Venomous.
    [*]Ghoul Stingfish
    (Choridactylus multibarbus
  • ) Highly Venomous
    [*]Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish - Male
    (Dendrochirus brachypterus
  • ) Venomous.
  • Hawaiian Lionfish
  • (Dendrochirus barberi
  • ) Venomous.
    Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish - Hopefully a female
  • (Dendrochirus brachypterus
  • ) Venomous.
    Leaf Fish
  • (Taenianatus tricanotus
  • ) Venomous.
    Fu Manchu
  • (Dendrochirus biocellatus
  • ) Venomous.
    Barbfish
  • (Scorpaena brasilensis
  • ) Venomous.
    Cheekspot Scorpion
  • (Scorpaenodes littoralis
  • ) Venmonous.

cranberry

• Redfin Waspfish (Paracentropogon rubripinnis
  • ) Highly Venomous.[*]Redfin Waspfish - Hopefully Female (Paracentropogon rubripinnis
  • ). Highly Venomous.
    [*]Barchin Scorpionfish
    (Sebastapistes strongia
  • ) Venomous.
    Blotched Anthias - Dominant Male
    (Holanthias borbonius
  • ) Non-venomous.
    Blotched Anthias - female #1
  • (Holanthias borbonius
  • ) Non-venomous.
    Blotched Anthias - Female #2
  • (Holanthias borbonius
  • ) Non-venomous.

sanchoy

wow. this is a very nice mix of fish. Let me know how this holds up as I am very interested in setting up a small predator tank myself.

T

tiny

I have to admit, you have some of the most beautiful fish oddities there. You have inspired me into creating my own small aggresive tank.

aquaguy24

Wow those are some crazy looking critters. Cranberry has inspired many. I myself was a victim of her photos.

S

shrimpy brains

Noticed you decided to try the anthias with the scorps. Hope it goes well!!

cranberry

They are getting to be big brutes. I'm sure they will be able to hold their own. They may very well be the only meanies in the tank but I think they will leave everyone else alone.
I'm really excited about this one. We've been dreaming of it a long time.

cranberry

They are safe with corals. The only problem that really arises is some like to "sit" in certain areas. This can be a problem if they decide to constantly sit on the one coral. Eventually, the coral will no longer extend it polyps and will die.
You would think the logical answer would be to move the coral out of that favorite area. The problem with our volitan was with, his favorite area WAS the coral. Whatever coral we would put in the tank, he'd sit on it. Wherever we moved it, he would find it and sit on it. From whole colonies of daisy polyps to a bubble coral.
I have LPS and palys in one of the scorp QT tanks.
In the 60 there are daisy polyps, GPS, a small finger leather... stuff like that.

R

rcreations

I love the colors on the fish in the 3rd picture, what fish is that?

cranberry

It's a Ghoul stingfish. Choridactylus multibarbus. This guy is VERY venomous. As is the c.ockatoo in the second pic and the two first ones with the red fins in the second post. Their venom is pretty potent.... for anyone looking into these guys.
And except for the 1st three fish in the second post, the anthias, they all have venomous spines..... there...... my warning is done.
I went ahead and edited the posts the say who was what and who to be "extra careful" with. I just stay clear of all of them.

cranberry

I wouldn't compare either to any of them. The range of your symptoms is going to be based on how much you are injected with. So I guess you could compare it to the "ow" of a bee if you just get a little.... or to "ow" and dangers of a black widow if you get injected with a lot.
Lions spines are not so rigid and their venom is not as potent.
Stingfish/Waspfish venom is more powerful and their spines are pretty rigid. The flexibility is "important" in the ability to inject.

meowzer

Cranberry they are all amazing....I still think the leaffish is my favorite though....something about his face