Acclimated my new blenny, now.....

vander

Have you tried just lifting him to the top of the tank? does he sink or swim back down?
I'm interested in getting a mandarin dragonet because they look awesome I just hope they have an attitude similiar to my blenny

milomlo

Well I am pleased to announce that my tail spot can swim :cheer: :cheer:
I put my hand in the tank to move the sand around as my powerheads were digging a hole and he dashed across the tank. Now of course he has hid and I can't find him, but he can swim.

Just thought I would let you all know.

J

jdragunas

yaaayy!!!!
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: Mandarin dragonettes are a very difficult fish to keep in the aquarium. They only eat pods, so unless you have an unlimited supply of pods (for example, a fuge where the blenny cannot eat the reproducing population, or a very large tank with TONS of LR), or they will slowly starve to death.
They say not to do more than one kind of blenny in a tank, and not more than one kind of most gobies in a tank, but IMO it depends on the kind of blennies and goby's you have...

vander

It's great that he can swim!!
About the dragonets, i'm a little new to this so please explain pods and whether or not it's worth having them in the tank, I like the psychelic dragonet as it is a beautiful fish, but i def don't want to slowly starve anything to death, as the fish's health is always more important than our satifaction but if it is feasible for me to feed him, I would like to know how so I can determine whether or not I could accomodate him.

J

jdragunas

pods are little bug-like creatures that live in the water. They're about the size of the tip of a ball point pen, and come out at night. They generally come with LR. I would say it's not worth having a dragonette (any kind) at all. Unless you can guaranty you have enough pods in your tank to keep them well fed for the rest of their lives, they'll starve. You have to have quite a high pod population before you even introduce the dragonette, because otherwise they'll eat every last pod, and then you won't have any to reproduce and make more.

vander

Thanks for the information, I guess the dragonets out of the question for now, maybe after another 60lbs fo LR get settled in I'll start checking to see if the bugs show up in lg numbers, if they do i'll get the drag, if not, i'm sure glad there's other fish in the sea.

J

jdragunas

60 lbs is not enough LR IMO to host a dragonette... IMO you should have at least 100 lbs, or more for a good enough pod population.

vander

notice I said after another 60lbs of LR, we already have about 40lbs in the tank, if not a little more. :p

milomlo

Originally Posted by wax32
Hey milomlo how is your blenny doing? I just picked up a new bicolor, I missed the old one's antics.

Hey Wax! Where ya been? My blenny is doing good
He has found a hole in my rock in the front of the tank and when the firefish get to close he will chase them away. ***)
He is funny and his colors are getting so pretty. I just wish he swam more.
I just got a new coral. So now I have a leather and a bubble coral. All seems to be doing good. I need to test my water today and hope that my calcium has gone down some.
Do I need to add any additives or anything to the tank for the bubble coral?
The lfs said maybe calcium and iodine??? I know you said before no iodine. I haven't added anything. I feed zooplex and zooplankton a couple times a week (alternating).

wax32

That's great. Mine didn't care for my firefish before either. Blennies don't really swim up in the water column a lot, they sort've dash around to various perches and peck at the rocks and glass from time to time, so yours is normal.

Nope, no need to add anything for the coral. You could try feeding it some of that homemade food you made though. Take a small amount and put it right on the coral. You might need to keep your fish busy while the coral eats... best time is at night once the fish have gone to bed. Just keep your Ca 420 to 480ppm and your KH 8-10dKH and the bubble will be fine. Remember that bubbles don't like to move in the current, so keep it in a pretty low flow area for the best polyp extension. What brand of salt are you using? If your calcium doesn't come down into exceptable range you might want to think about changing... BUT if the coral seems to be doing ok, no rush, finish off that box/bucket of salt.

milomlo

Originally Posted by wax32
That's great. Mine didn't care for my firefish before either. Blennies don't really swim up in the water column a lot, they sort've dash around to various perches and peck at the rocks and glass from time to time, so yours is normal.

Nope, no need to add anything for the coral. You could try feeding it some of that homemade food you made though. Take a small amount and put it right on the coral. You might need to keep your fish busy while the coral eats... best time is at night once the fish have gone to bed. Just keep your Ca 420 to 480ppm and your KH 8-10dKH and the bubble will be fine. Remember that bubbles don't like to move in the current, so keep it in a pretty low flow area for the best polyp extension. What brand of salt are you using? If your calcium doesn't come down into exceptable range you might want to think about changing... BUT if the coral seems to be doing ok, no rush, finish off that box/bucket of salt.

Hey Wax! I been looking for you on another thread. I am having what I think could be a water problem

I am using Oceanic salt and before I did a water change I tested my fresh made water and it tested as such
Phosphates 0ppm
Calcium 500
PH 8.0
dKH 10.2
Alk 366 meq/L
Then I did a 10% water change (3 gallons) and tested my water yesterday and it tested as such
PH 8.0
trites, trates, ammonia 0
Calcium 640
.50 ppm phosphates
dKH 9.6
Alk 3.43 meq/L
So I see that the phosphates are HIGH and so is the calcium - what do I do?

jafrench

The spots are totally normal and natural. I have a bicolor and a lawnmower. They are my favorite fish in the tank. The bicolor shows his white bars more than the LM, but they all do it. No worries, mate. All is well.

wax32

I am using Oceanic salt and before I did a water change I tested my fresh made water and it tested as such
Phosphates 0ppm
Calcium 500
PH 8.0
dKH 10.2
Alk 366 meq/L
That seems pretty normal, Oceanic has somewhat high Ca.

Then I did a 10% water change (3 gallons) and tested my water yesterday and it tested as such
PH 8.0
trites, trates, ammonia 0
Calcium 640
.50 ppm phosphates
dKH 9.6
Alk 3.43 meq/L
I can't imagine why that would happen!

I dunno why your Ca is so high. Seems like if you do a water change with water with lower Ca, it ought to come down at least a little! What salinity are you at?
That high of phosphates is very bad for corals. I am actually fighting phosphate myself ATM, lots of cyanobacteria (red slime) in my tank. I'd stop dosing your plankton and food altogether for a few days (your fish won't starve.) Then do another 10% change and test again. Until you get your phosphates down, try feeding only every 3rd or 4th day and a small amount at that. Do 10% changes every three or four days too.
I just installed a Phosban Reactor in my sump and changed all the cartridges in my RO/DI. I'll let you know tomorrow if that has helped any. The reactor has been running for 5 days now.

J

jdragunas

phosphates will cause bad algae. you're not using tapwater are you? Please say no... i can't remember... :notsure:

milomlo

Originally Posted by jdragunas
phosphates will cause bad algae. you're not using tapwater are you? Please say no... i can't remember... :notsure:
No no no, no tap water. Using RO (not sure if it is ro/di - I get it from a machine in Kroger)
I bought some Phos-X today. It says you can use it for up to 3 months
You put it in your filter and it is suppose to take out phosphates. Any ideas on this stuff and how long should I leave it in?

J

jdragunas

i'm not familiar with that brand. i use kent's phosphate sponge. same idea, but you can only leave it in the tank for 8-12 hours. It worked wonders for my hair algae problem. Removed all of my phosphates.

milomlo

Originally Posted by jdragunas
i'm not familiar with that brand. i use kent's phosphate sponge. same idea, but you can only leave it in the tank for 8-12 hours. It worked wonders for my hair algae problem. Removed all of my phosphates.
Well I don't have a hair algae problem just high phosphates and calcium

Thanks J

Oh should I take it out tomorrow and then check my phosphates?