Algae issue

just a nano

I'm having an algae issue with my tank. (as you can see in the picture below).

The issue is mainly on the glass. My CUC keeps the rocks cleaned. The picture shows how much algae gets on the glass after just one day.
Is there anything I can add to the tank (additive or filter wise) to filter out this algae?

1guydude

wats ur water change scehdule?
Wats ur equipment?
Wat are ur parameters?
some of the things people on here are gonna wanna know!

just a nano

I've been doing water changes about every two weeks. Even when I have done them more frequently it hasn't seemed to make a difference.
This is a 28 gallon nano cube with the LED hood. I'm wondering if the LEDs are making the situation worse. In my old 24 nano with a regular light hood the algae wasn't as bad.
Amonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 80 (they have been as high as 200 months ago, and the problem wasn't near as bad then)

flower

Hi,
There is a little gadget called a mag float, it works like an eraser to keep the tank glass clean. Algae is a good thing, it feeds our CUC and gives the tangs and other algae eating fish something to pick at. You don't ever want to use a chemical algae remover in a SW tank. In a freshwater I can understand, but not a SW.

just a nano

I have a mag float. It works well o nthe sides, but not the bowed front.
I understand algae can be beneficial and don't want to eliminate it all. but what you are seeing in the picture is less than one day's growth. The glass went to completely clean to like that in about 18 hours.
There is no point to keeping a tank or having it on display if the glass constantly looks as it does in the picture.
Before, it would take 3 or 4 days to get like that. I certainly did not have a problem with it then. But ever since I changed to the 28 gallon, its takes less than a day.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Nano http:///forum/thread/385763/algae-issue#post_3384837
I have a mag float. It works well o nthe sides, but not the bowed front.
I understand algae can be beneficial and don't want to eliminate it all. but what you are seeing in the picture is less than one day's growth. The glass went to completely clean to like that in about 18 hours.
There is no point to keeping a tank or having it on display if the glass constantly looks as it does in the picture.
Before, it would take 3 or 4 days to get like that. I certainly did not have a problem with it then. But ever since I changed to the 28 gallon, its takes less than a day.
I can't see your picture, but I clean my tank glass 2 times a day. A bowfront means it's acrylic. An acrylic tank is loved by coraline algae and it's a bugger to get off the front glass. So 2Xs a day, once in the morning and again in late afternoon is a good time to clean the front, you don't want coraline to go unchacked on the front glass. 18 hours...is perfectly normal algae buildup, so if you think cleaning the front with a mag float every 18 hours is too much trouble, you are in the wrong hobby.
Algae is a part of life when you live with a fish tank. You don't have an algae problem, you should panic if algae can't grow in your tank.

just a nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/385763/algae-issue#post_3384842
I can't see your picture, but I clean my tank glass 2 times a day. A bowfront means it's acrylic. An acrylic tank is loved by coraline algae and it's a bugger to get off the front glass. So 2Xs a day, once in the morning and again in late afternoon is a good time to clean the front, you don't want coraline to go unchacked on the front glass. 18 hours...is perfectly normal algae buildup, so if you think cleaning the front with a mag float every 18 hours is too much trouble, you are in the wrong hobby.
Algae is a part of life when you live with a fish tank. You don't have an algae problem, you should panic if algae can't grow in your tank.
The second post has a link to the picture. I tried to imbed the picture in the thread but it did not work. As you can see in the picture (again, post #2) it is not coraline algae.
As you may have read in my post, I indicated that I don't have a problem with algae in general, but was inquiring as ways to address the accelarated growth I have had recently.
Thank you for your suggestion that I leave the hobby.

slice

Flower is telling you truth.
Your first question of what you can add to your tank to correct this?
A magfloat.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Nano http:///forum/thread/385763/algae-issue#post_3384851
The second post has a link to the picture. I tried to imbed the picture in the thread but it did not work. As you can see in the picture (again, post #2) it is not coraline algae.
As you may have read in my post, I indicated that I don't have a problem with algae in general, but was inquiring as ways to address the accelarated growth I have had recently.
Thank you for your suggestion that I leave the hobby.
Oh sweetie I was in no way suggesting you leave the hobby, you misunderstand. Let me try and word this right. Alage is such a normal part of keeping saltwater fish that to not expect it is to not even be into the hobby.
I know you are not talking about coraline algae, I am saying that coraline loves plastic so much that you must be extra vigilant to clean your front glass and not let it get a foot hold. A mag float is the only thing to help with the constant daily algae, it's very normal and you don't have an algae problem.... so be assured all is well.
I'm so very sorry I came off so wrong. I welcome you to the site with open arms and hope you stay a long time and learn and share your insight. This is a great place to hang out and make good friends.

1guydude

I have a glass bowfront....im just sayin flower lol.
You could always get a scrubber brush. They have em at most pet stores and even hellmart in the fish aisle.
I clean my glass religiously every day almost lol.
Ur trates are a bit high. Do u have a protien skimmer? Wats ur flow like? More flow will not let the algae build up! Also the skimmer promotes more red and purple coraline algae growth...if im not mistaken.
It takes out the fish pee and poop and bad nutrients and stuff also before the algae gets a chance to feed on it.
It deff does not look like bad algae at all...just norm as flower said!

meowzer

I also have 2 tanks that are bowfronts....I HATE CLEANING them....BUT as 1guy said, I use a scrub brush...yup,,,from WALMART...LOL
Also.. I see a coral beauty in there.....not a good idea for a 28G....and what is the other fish?
I think you need more flow, possibly some more rock too....and different fish
What do you feed them? HOW often, and how much? Do you just use the stock cube filter? Do you have a protein skimmer?
What is the tank temp? I know when mine runs warmer, the algae grows on the glass faster
AND...how long do you run your lights for?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/385763/algae-issue#post_3384910
I have a glass bowfront....im just sayin flower lol.
You could always get a scrubber brush. They have em at most pet stores and even hellmart in the fish aisle.
I clean my glass religiously every day almost lol.
Ur trates are a bit high. Do u have a protien skimmer? Wats ur flow like? More flow will not let the algae build up! Also the skimmer promotes more red and purple coraline algae growth...if im not mistaken.
It takes out the fish pee and poop and bad nutrients and stuff also before the algae gets a chance to feed on it.
It deff does not look like bad algae at all...just norm as flower said!

Seriously??? I never heard of a glass bowfront, I thought they were only acrylic. Now I have to go Google it and see. LOL

flower

LOL...I thought all the fancy wavy and bowfronts were acrylic. The LFS around here have all acrylic. I had to go to Wisconsin to get my Glass 90g and it's just a standard tank. I never thought to even look on the internet...a tank isn't something I would order so I never even looked. I was afraid all glass tanks were about to go the way of the Dodo, that's how the fish stores made it sound. I don't like acrylic for a fish tank because it scratches too easy.
So back to the original topic...If a bowfront is too curved for a regular mag float to work why not get a smaller mag float so it can follow the curve??? I have a little one on the 30g and I bet it could work...or do you think it's too much area to cover?

al&burke

I think that the point of the nitrates being 80 is being missed here. Looks like you have some sort of a puffer/dogfish in there with the coral beauty.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/385763/algae-issue#post_3385040
I think that the point of the nitrates being 80 is being missed here. Looks like you have some sort of a puffer/dogfish in there with the coral beauty.
Betting it has to do with fish in a too small tank
this person has not been back to answer any questions.....that were asked