And this is why Fox Business shouldn't be covering Science stories.

mohawkninja

http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/01/02/fox-host-thinks-ice-in-antarctica-shows-global/197384
Stuart Varney, I know it is just your opinion, but it is wrong.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Why exactly is it wrong? There is evidence enough, including from scientists who do not support the politicizing of the issue, that do not fall in line with blaming climatic changes on man-made impacts on the environment.

Anyway, yes you can count on the climate on planet earth changing and that those changes will impact human beings. Are those changes a result of people driving cars or cows farting too much---well the science on that one is out to me.

mohawkninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396925/and-this-is-why-fox-business-shouldnt-be-covering-science-stories#post_3536592
Why exactly is it wrong? There is evidence enough, including from scientists who do not support the politicizing of the issue, that do not fall in line with blaming climatic changes on man-made impacts on the environment.

Anyway, yes you can count on the climate on planet earth changing and that those changes will impact human beings. Are those changes a result of people driving cars or cows farting too much---well the science on that one is out to me.
He is trying to attribute the fact that there is such thing as winter in the Arctic to a Global Cooling of temperatures when there is no evidence for it. He basically says "Well the ice (In the Arctic Circle, by the way) is thick enough for a helicopter to land on, so there must be global cooling!" There is no proof to back that up in the slightest.

I'm not saying that you can't deny global warming, but global cooling isn't a thing. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I just remembered, this video kind of reminds me of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3AFMe2OQY

darthtang aw

He is trying to attribute the fact that there is such thing as winter in the Arctic to a Global Cooling of temperatures when there is no evidence for it. He basically says "Well the ice (In the Arctic Circle, by the way) is thick enough for a helicopter to land on, so there must be global cooling!" There is no proof to back that up in the slightest.
I'm not saying that you can't deny global warming, but global cooling isn't a thing. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
I just remembered, this video kind of reminds me of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3AFMe2OQY
Before there was global warming, Global cooling was the big scare in the 70's. Not sure if you are old enough to be aware of this, as it probably hasn't been taught in school for a few decades.
The cycle went, global cooling, then global warming, now it is called climate change.......................

2quills

Sure feels chilli down here this winter to me. Actually this is the coldest winter I've seen down here so far already. Dunno if it's global cooling or not but I'm not complaining. 90+ degree temps for 4-5 months out of the year isn't all that fun either.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Anyway, we don't have global warming or global cooling anymore. Now its called "climate change". That should fit anyone's agenda.

Anybody who is giving opinions on a news channel (99% of news nodays) is suspect IMO.

2quills

It's becoming more and more clear to me the older I get how easy it is for people to fall into some of the media puts out there these days. Not saying I'm innocent.
But there have been studies that show how it is inherently more easy for people to focus in on negative things more so than positive stuff. Probably because it's more dramatic and stirs up more powerful emotions.
These networks are tied in too close to politics which is probably why they are used as tools to push agendas for either side. Truth seems to be in short supply these days. Maybe it's always been that way. Who knows.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
News channels are now "entertainment" rather than news reporting. There you have it.

mohawkninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/396925/and-this-is-why-fox-business-shouldnt-be-covering-science-stories#post_3536595
Before there was global warming, Global cooling was the big scare in the 70's. Not sure if you are old enough to be aware of this, as it probably hasn't been taught in school for a few decades.
The cycle went, global cooling, then global warming, now it is called climate change.......................

Firstly, that.
Secondly, we are 40 years past the 1970's. We can't still be pushing for theories that we have already proved false.

2quills

For every "green" company out there there is most likely a heavily invested politician lobbying for the technology.
I don't doubt the warming trend. But what theories have we already proved?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is it warming or cooling? We have been in a warming tread already for several thousand yrs. The Sahara Desert was lush 10,000 yrs ago until it warmed up! Oh, can't blame cars and factories on that warm up.

darthtang aw

Mowhawk, i was referring to what the media was covering and reporting during the seventies. There was a forty year period of cooling going on prior to the seventies. It ended near the beginning of that decade. However the news media kept pounding about global cooling all through the seventies. It wasnt till the eighties that global warming became the topic followed by climate change near the turn of the century. That was my point. There is such thing as global cooling. What do you call ice ages?

2quills

Still not convinced that investing in beach front property is a good thing. Can anybody tell me if I should invest a little further inland so that when it turns into beach front property I could just sell it for trillions?

bang guy

I believe global warming is happening. I'm not yet convinced it's manmade.

But Al has done more damage to the scientific community than evangelicals.

mikeny

I can't believe we're even having this debate on this forum. Of all places, here is where I'd think would be people that understand the complex interactions of the air, land and sea that cause climate change. Who are you going to trust? NASA or some dumb Fox anchor who thinks it's a hoax because his feet are cold today?

darthtang aw

I can't believe we're even having this debate on this forum. Of all places, here is where I'd think would be people that understand the complex interactions of the air, land and sea that cause climate change. Who are you going to trust? NASA or some dumb Fox anchor who thinks it's a hoax because his feet are cold today?
No one said climate change doesnt happen. doesn't global cooling fall under the premise of climate change?

2quills

I can't believe we're even having this debate on this forum. Of all places, here is where I'd think would be people that understand the complex interactions of the air, land and sea that cause climate change. Who are you going to trust? NASA or some dumb Fox anchor who thinks it's a hoax because his feet are cold today?
You wouldn't happen to be in the market to buy a house would you? Just wonderin...