And this is why Fox Business shouldn't be covering Science stories.

2quills

You guys know that while scientists are talking about weather modification for defense against hurricanes that our government is considering the technology for military purposes?

darthtang aw

Do I believe there are greenhouse gases? Of course.
I just dont think it is an eminent problem, CO2 emissions will never reduced without doing it at the expense of this country and the population as a whole. As third world countries such as india, China and so on continue to become the manufacturing hubs of the world they will continue to out produce the U.s. in emissions. Much of the problem I believe is the over population of the world and the expansion of cities. Everyone worries about cutting down trees in our national forests but there is never a discussion when cities expand and knock the single most combative item on the planet against CO2, vegetation.
Without things that convert CO2 out of the atmosphere on this planet the levels will continue to rise, even if we reduced our CO2 emissions to 0 in this country. Methane will continue to rise as well, especially as the population grows, since mathan is produced by making the very thing we as a species need to survive, that is food.
Climates have changed on this world for centuries...now it sounds like we will go into a cooling period....
The computer you are on discussing about climate change has increased the CO2 level ....see the hypocrisy in this. Everything we do, increases the CO2 level, it can not be stopped.
My policy towards environmental issues and the world is a lot like taking a bath. When you take a bath, you will always get the water dirty. But you don't take a crap in your bath tub. The U.S. is getting the water dirty, other countries are crapping in the bathtub. We haven't been craping in our bathtub, but we still have to sit in it no matter what we do.

2quills

Do I believe there are greenhouse gases? Of course.
I just dont think it is an eminent problem, CO2 emissions will never reduced without doing it at the expense of this country and the population as a whole. As third world countries such as india, China and so on continue to become the manufacturing hubs of the world they will continue to out produce the U.s. in emissions. Much of the problem I believe is the over population of the world and the expansion of cities. Everyone worries about cutting down trees in our national forests but there is never a discussion when cities expand and knock the single most combative item on the planet against CO2, vegetation.
Without things that convert CO2 out of the atmosphere on this planet the levels will continue to rise, even if we reduced our CO2 emissions to 0 in this country. Methane will continue to rise as well, especially as the population grows, since mathan is produced by making the very thing we as a species need to survive, that is food.
Climates have changed on this world for centuries...now it sounds like we will go into a cooling period....
The computer you are on discussing about climate change has increased the CO2 level ....see the hypocrisy in this. Everything we do, increases the CO2 level, it can not be stopped.
My policy towards environmental issues and the world is a lot like taking a bath. When you take a bath, you will always get the water dirty. But you don't take a crap in your bath tub. The U.S. is getting the water dirty, other countries are crapping in the bathtub. We haven't been craping in our bathtub, but we still have to sit in it no matter what we do.
Did you know that scientists are replicating methods in labs to neutralize carbon in the atmosphere?

reefraff

Using Mediamatters(but facts don't) to debunk another source.... God I need to spend more time here. This is funny stuff.

darthtang aw

Using Mediamatters(but facts don't) to debunk another source.... God I need to spend more time here. This is funny stuff.
I was wondering when your old a%$ would chime in....
Darth (feeling nostalgic) tang

darthtang aw

Did you know that scientists are replicating methods in labs to neutralize carbon in the atmosphere?
link me...I am curious....This can go two ways...most likely one....man has a habit of screwing crap up when we try to fix things.

reefraff

I think we all know there's a reason to be concerned about CO2 but climate change isn't it. Unless we have magic CO2 that allows the infrared from the sun to reach and heat the surface but traps the resulting infrared being emitted by the planet.

2quills

link me...I am curious....This can go two ways...most likely one....man has a habit of screwing crap up when we try to fix things.
Phone isn't cooperating very well with me this morning I'll try and dig some up later. But I think most of the talk has been in catching industrial emmisions before they are pumped out into the air by "fixing" the carbon using caustic soda or lime water. Caught something on tv not long ago talking about seeding the atmosphere but in regards to carbon not creating or diffusing weather patterns.
Agree, I don't like the idea of man tinkering with mother nature like that. Not sure we're quite ready for it. But research and experiments have been performed by our government for many decades now in that area.

darthtang aw

Phone isn't cooperating very well with me this morning I'll try and dig some up later. But I think most of the talk has been in catching industrial emmisions before they are pumped out into the air by "fixing" the carbon using caustic soda or lime water. Caught something on tv not long ago talking about seeding the atmosphere but in regards to carbon not creating or diffusing weather patterns.
Agree, I don't like the idea of man tinkering with mother nature like that. Not sure we're quite ready for it. But research and experiments have been performed by our government for many decades now in that area.
Still does nothing to reduce the CO2 currently in the atmosphere then, i assume?

2quills

Still does nothing to reduce the CO2 currently in the atmosphere then, i assume?
I'll double check. Pretty sure I did catch a program discusing options to reduce co2 in the atmosphere that's already there.
But simply put we have the ability to start filtering our emissions now. Just waiting for technology and industry to catch up.

2quills

Hmmm...would it stand to reason that excess carbon would filter out harmfull u.v. radiation as well?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/396925/and-this-is-why-fox-business-shouldnt-be-covering-science-stories/40#post_3536786
Hmmm...would it stand to reason that excess carbon would filter out harmfull u.v. radiation as well?
Some but I don't think it blocks other wavelengths as well as it does infrared. When discussing the effects of a greenhouse it's meaningless to only refer to one range of electromagnetic energy. The entire spectrum needs to be considered. The reason a glass greenhouse is warmer inside than outside isn't due to magic glass. It's because more energy enters the greenhouse than leaves.

2quills

Same thing happens when light hits water. Lower frequency wavelengths travel the deepest. Cool little factoid I learned in this hobby. :)
Blast this darn 4g internet signal lately. Must be some sunspot activity going on again. Hope our magnetic field isn't getting ready to do the Macarena on us or something.

bang guy

Yeah, I've learned a lot of good things in the hobby.

I had a month long debate about what adds heat to an aquarium when I mentioned waterflow. I could not convince this person that a 55w powerhead heats up the water more than a 50w heater. They came up with the most bizarre reasons why I was wrong. Even after I set up an experiment and proved it they thought I faked the results.

darthtang aw

Yeah, I've learned a lot of good things in the hobby.
I had a month long debate about what adds heat to an aquarium when I mentioned waterflow.  I could not convince this person that a 55w powerhead heats up the water more than a 50w heater.  They came up with the most bizarre reasons why I was wrong.  Even after I set up an experiment and proved it they thought I faked the results.  :laughing:  
Lol, most people with a mechanical understanding, would realize motors generate heat. My 75 gallon has a well undersized heater due to the powerheads keep the tank warm....lol

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/396925/and-this-is-why-fox-business-shouldnt-be-covering-science-stories/40#post_3536796
Lol, most people with a mechanical understanding, would realize motors generate heat. My 75 gallon has a well undersized heater due to the powerheads keep the tank warm....lol
He understood that the motor generated heat. His argument was that even at 50% efficiency it wouldn't generate much more heat than a 25 watt heater would. He didn't believe that the movement of the water also generated heat.

darthtang aw

He understood that the motor generated heat. His argument was that even at 50% efficiency it wouldn't generate much more heat than a 25 watt heater would.  He didn't believe that the movement of the water also generated heat.
All energy generates heat. This is why streams are generally warmer than the lakes they originate from