Animal Planet's "Tanked". 2nd season in April - To love or to hate???

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate#post_3469744
What livestock is in the 50g? Why did u take down the 120?
Just some softies and a few LPS in the 50g. I don't have strong enough lighting on it for SPS.
I purhcased the 120g used because at the time I thought it was a good deal. However, it was pretty basic. I wasn't happy with the stand and it wasn't drilled for a sump. So I've built a custom stand and canopy for it, drilled it for plumbing and made some overflows. I also built my own custom acrylic sump and auto top off tank. Built my own led lighting for my turf scrubber.
I just need to put the clear finish on the stand to finish it up. Make the custom rock wall and rock scape, build another led fixture for the display and get some power heads. Then I think I'll be ready to go.

tirtza

I have to admit I'm excited about seeing it! (my taste in tv is kind of embarrassing though) I watched last season, and was positive there must be a lot of behind the scenes stuff we don't see. There's no way they'd stay in business this long if there tanks were falling apart and stock were dying right away. I would like to see more information about
-coral propagation
-Good SW husbandry
-reef conservation
- and perhaps they could add a 'where are they now' episode to see how the tank is doing several months after they set it up.
-I'd also like to see less of the silly over the top prank stuff
ummm.....now it sounds like a whole different show, oh well!

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/20#post_3469752
Are you planning a mixed reef? Dis u use rapidled for the DIY light?
I did order some of my components from rapid but it wasn't a kit. I ordered certain things from various sources. There's some pics on my thread if you want to see it.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/740
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/20#post_3469754
I have to admit I'm excited about seeing it! (my taste in tv is kind of embarrassing though) I watched last season, and was positive there must be a lot of behind the scenes stuff we don't see. There's no way they'd stay in business this long if there tanks were falling apart and stock were dying right away. I would like to see more information about
-coral propagation
-Good SW husbandry
-reef conservation
- and perhaps they could add a 'where are they now' episode to see how the tank is doing several months after they set it up.
-I'd also like to see less of the silly over the top prank stuff
ummm.....now it sounds like a whole different show, oh well!
No doubt they're going to have some losses. Doing things on the scale that they do I'm sure they have many losses. But comparatively looks how many of the folks here lose livestock all the time. No body is perfect and some things you just can't help. If I remember correctly that have a lot of employees that you don't ever see. Teams that do nothing but servicing many these tanks and taking care of them on a regular basis.
I have to admit though that the skate board tank was a bit rediculous. Couldn't imagine a 100ft man with equal size skate board doing tricks on top of my house. That's probably stress me out too lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/20#post_3469755
I'm cautiously optimistic. We'll see. These people are kinda clowns....but then, so am I. LOL.
Same here. We'll see. They are some goof's but I'm sure a lot of that is played up for t.v. but I did get a few chuckles out of last season. I really hope they do decide to get a little more in depth though to keep the some of us enthusiasts more engaged or else it's going to be tough to follow.

tirtza

I just watched two episodes from last season that I had missed (they were on 'demand').
First I saw them putting Yellow Tangs in that "NYC" themed tank (the one made out of a phone booth). I'm still a rookie, so please correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't Yellow Tangs be kept in long tanks and not tall narrow tanks? How are they going to get algae sheets in a tank that tall?
In the next episode, they created a QT system for a family that has two huge aquariums. The QT system cost over $30,000!! It was made up of 4 large tanks with LED lights built into the wall. It seemed like the owners cared more about how the display of the QT system appeared rather than the actual purpose and effectiveness of a QT.
Finally I watch last nights episode. The tank in the orthodontists office was huge! The dental business must not be affected by our current economy...haha. The only thing that really bothered me about it was this: Isn't it irresponsible to buy sharks that will continually outgrow their tanks and have to be moved every couple of years? Will those sharks ever stop growing?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/20#post_3469942
Isn't it irresponsible to buy sharks that will continually outgrow their tanks and have to be moved every couple of years? Will those sharks ever stop growing?
Well...not necessarily IMO as long as they do move them. It would probably more irresponsible leaving them there once they have out grown it. The same things are done in public aquariums and our little tanks with other fish all the time. I guess one could always argue the idea of us keeping fish as pets in the first place is irresponsible since we'll never be able to provide the same environment that they come from in nature.
I was actually fairly happy with some of the improvements that I saw with the show last night. It's a step in the right direction at least from my point of view.

tirtza

You're right, it would be horrible to leave them in a tank to small for them. I was always under the impression that most people add fish to their tank that they know won't outgrow it, thereby avoiding undue stress to the fish. Am I wrong? Is it common for people to get fish that will temporarily fit, with plans to move them later on? I have a 30 gallon BioCube, and back when I was trying to decide what to stock it with, a guy at my LFS said "you can get one of these small/young Yellow Tangs, and when it grows bigger you can bring it back to the store and exchange it for something else!" I thought that was a pretty bad idea, what do you think?

rickross23

Yeah. Same thing at my lfs...they say get all these fish and when they grow, trade them in here. I don't understand it either.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/20#post_3469961
You're right, it would be horrible to leave them in a tank to small for them. I was always under the impression that most people add fish to their tank that they know won't outgrow it, thereby avoiding undue stress to the fish. Am I wrong? Is it common for people to get fish that will temporarily fit, with plans to move them later on? I have a 30 gallon BioCube, and back when I was trying to decide what to stock it with, a guy at my LFS said "you can get one of these small/young Yellow Tangs, and when it grows bigger you can bring it back to the store and exchange it for something else!" I thought that was a pretty bad idea, what do you think?
No I don't think you're wrong at all. Anytime you have to relocate something it's going to be stressful for the animal. Choosing livestock more appropriately sized for a system that you can leave in there for long term is what some would consider as doing the more responsible thing. But yeah, it's not uncommon at all. And I don't see anything terribly wrong with it as long as it's done with the animals benefit in mind. Minimizing stress as much as possible should be the goal of any hobbyist IMO.
I think the recommendation of your local fish store in regards to the tang is not something that I would consider. Because you never know where that fish is going to end up when you bring it back. Possibly in the hands of a very inexperienced person who may likely put it in a less desirable environment than you had it in before. And in turn will stress the animal to an unacceptable degree and then it all goes down hill from there. However, if you planed to keep the fish and move it to a larger tank of your own where you know it's going to get the best care that you can provide for it then I think that's ok.

I actually enjoyed last night's deput.
The 2000g shark tank was nice but is it just me or do you all hate the ornaments they put into the tank???
If I was a customer and they (brett and Jeff) put fake ornaments into a fish tank, i'd be pissed. I have not yet dived or snorkeled a reef and seen plastic shark heads with braces and other garbage ornaments. The customers of ATM have no freaking clue about their fish either. They are clueless. Fish dont come with instructions but ATM sure does act like they do. I have not yet once seen them with a reef enthusiast customer. It always just a bunch of guys with a lot of money who just wanna look at the aquarium for about 10 mins a day and then back to business.
Arrrggg

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmith200 http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate#post_3463012

Hello everyone
I am pretty sure everyone here has either watched or heard of Animal Planet's new TV series "TANKED". I must say I was quite interested in the idea considering its a show consisting of unique aquarium builds but mostly artificial reef settings (ughhh gross). I myself found the show to be entertaining and interesting but nonetheless irresponsible.
We as seasoned
marine aquarists and reef junkies know that you do not install an aquarium and dump bags of fish in the tank and call it good. I was somewhat surprised by the guys ignorance with their critters to say the least. From what I see, they are big business men in the marine aquaria industry so they are focused on one single thing and that's money. But with any big business, there comes responsibility. I find their practice very irresponsible with the way they just throw fish here and throw fish there. I am very interested in how these fish fare with a couple days post installation. I just find it reckless.
I like the show but then again I am not such a big fan considering their misconception to how the marine industry should be practiced. All I am saying is that it would be nice if they were more detailed and thurough with their installations rather than throwing it all together in one day and wahhlaa...complete. Maybe just maybe they are more complete behind the scenes. I am not sure though as their deadlines appear to be within a day or two.
I would like your opinion about this TV series and your comments regarding the show.
Tan
Hi,
I watched Tanked for the first time last night...I really like the tanks they make, and the people are entertaining. However, They set up a tank and dump a huge crapload of fish all at once...any new person watching that show is doomed to failure if they do that with their tanks.
I watched 2Quills video and I understand it's made for TV entertainment, which made me feel a little better.
However those guys are 100% irresponsible. I watched them put about 8 yellow tangs in a tank shaped like a phonebooth...I was horrified. How can they get away with that??? The fish can't possibly live long term like that. Anyone watching the show that doesn't know better is in for a big surprise if they decide to try a SW tank and do what it looks like those guys do.
I agree that show will help the industry...folks can get a job fixing the mess they create like Gemmy said. They will also increase the fish industry because folks will have to replace all the fish that die...and LOL...this site should be booming with new folks begging for some help to keep their fish alive.
I enjoy the show...I know better than to do what they do....You know they have a warning flash "don't try this at home"...such a warning should be flashed for these guys so anyone wanting a SW tank will at least be warned to not do as they do. Will I keep watching??? YOU BET!

kiefers

I do believe there is a thread regarding this show already buried in the archives where folks, me including shared our views on the show.
On a personal note this show is interesting. I love the ideas these New Yorkers come up with and sometimes even the 3 stooges personalities, sometimes rather funny. However, as I am not a fan of how they acclimate there critters, which as Corey stated can be done as long as they are doing it correctly, hard to tell as the show does not elaborate on the techniques shown, it can be done as long as the temp and ph are the same.
I like the ieas given from the show. The different styles, shapes, and all around builds I find interesting and doable. So as we can see, there are going to be opinions about the way the two yankees do things, you have to take off your hats to their creativity.
I would love for these guys to come over and build me a set up!!! I however will pick my own sea creatures.

rickross23

Wonder how much they want for a shark n ray tank??...
Jk it would be outrageous probably. Haha. I'm perfectly fine with my new Anemone.

meowzer

I'll tell you what.....the one thing I miss more then anything is my stingray......I loved her and when she grew....and grew......I knew it was not fair to keep her......and I donated her to an aquarium
BUT, IF I ever had the room to build a ray pond....I would do it in a heartbeat......