Animal Planet's "Tanked". 2nd season in April - To love or to hate???

S

smallreef

Meowzer.. you live in OK .. you should have a TON of room right?? big flat land??lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/20#post_3470013
I'll tell you what.....the one thing I miss more then anything is my stingray......I loved her and when she grew....and grew......I knew it was not fair to keep her......and I donated her to an aquarium
BUT, IF I ever had the room to build a ray pond....I would do it in a heartbeat......
I really wish this guy would had kept posting in his 700g ray pool build. This really made me want to try something like this
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/367972/700-gallon-ray-pool

meowzer

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/40#post_3470036
What do you keep for FW? I have 120SW and 75 FW...I have 2 clown loaches and a black ghost knife.
In the 46G I only have 2 cichlids and 2 sardontis....
In the 55G I have a 2 silver dollars....1 blue gourami, gold gaurami, and red gourami....and some little tetras.....I actually neglect these tanks since I started the SW :(
I really need to spend some time on them.....and make them look better....maybe do some plants....I just don't have any time

kilofey

I know it seems like the tanked crue does everything in one day and adds straight hose water and such... But if you watch the shark episode, they even mentioned they had to leave the tank and come back later. I bet they dumped some ammonia in before they left. Theyve mentioned it last season too. I think they try to make it look like its all done in a matter of hours, but fome on... They have such a huge successful business, they wouldnt have gotten this far if they didnt know what they were doing. And when they are running a hose through the house, its probably some pre mixed saltwater being pumped from their delivery truck, and if it is just regular water, they dont do corals... So its really not as important. Ive seen where they actually did a complete reef set up and they had a sump and refugium and every thing.
Its a show made for tv... Come on, they get less than an hour to present their aquariums, theres a TON of info that has to be left out. People also want instant gradification. They want to see them just throw a tank together and say tah-dahhhh! They dress in the same clothes to make it look like it happened the same day because thats what people want to see. Notice how its ALWAYS day time? Can you immagine setting up an entire tank that big in a matter of hours? No way, that tanks all day. Im just saying... They make it look that way on tv because thats what people want to see. In reality, they dont have a week to build a tank, can you immagine how big the waiting list must be for that place? They know about it wayyy in advance

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/40#post_3470049
I know it seems like the tanked crue does everything in one day and adds straight hose water and such... But if you watch the shark episode, they even mentioned they had to leave the tank and come back later. I bet they dumped some ammonia in before they left. Theyve mentioned it last season too. I think they try to make it look like its all done in a matter of hours, but fome on... They have such a huge successful business, they wouldnt have gotten this far if they didnt know what they were doing. And when they are running a hose through the house, its probably some pre mixed saltwater being pumped from their delivery truck, and if it is just regular water, they dont do corals... So its really not as important. Ive seen where they actually did a complete reef set up and they had a sump and refugium and every thing.
Its a show made for tv... Come on, they get less than an hour to present their aquariums, theres a TON of info that has to be left out. People also want instant gradification. They want to see them just throw a tank together and say tah-dahhhh! They dress in the same clothes to make it look like it happened the same day because thats what people want to see. Notice how its ALWAYS day time? Can you immagine setting up an entire tank that big in a matter of hours? No way, that tanks all day. Im just saying... They make it look that way on tv because thats what people want to see. In reality, they dont have a week to build a tank, can you immagine how big the waiting list must be for that place? They know about it wayyy in advance
That is the point...they make it look like they filled the tank and dumped in a ton of fish...reguardless, they do dump in all the fish at once, and they do mix fish they should not, and do over stock the tanks, and they do give the impression that's the way professionals do it, they know what they are doing or they wouldn't be in business...so that must be the correct method....Like it isn't bad enough people think the LFS sales clearks are professionals.

I cant believe no one has posted here since last night's new episode.
What did you all think?
The pinball tank turned out much better than I thought. The robot tanks, hmmmm not sure how I feel about them. It just amazes me how people with money ask a company such as ATM to make them a tank and then put whatever fish the tank manufacturer deems sound. I crack up whenever Brett or Wayde choose fish based on how they assume what kinds of fish the customer would like.
Plug and play style aquariums make me sick.
The customers are so clueless for example: "Hey Brett and Wayde, make me a fish tank thats just crazy with some cool fish. All I got to do is feed some flake food once a day right? Oh you guys exceeded expectations. I feel like a kid again"
IDIOTS

brun67

i feel as if the customers really have no idea what to do with the upkeep of their tanks. sure there able to build a usually nice looking tank but some are unpractical.
I still think the one episode where the lady made them install a feeding tube because shes to lazy to get a ladder and feed the fish, was ridiculous.
It was really sad, and as for the pinball tank, it only worked because they decided to make it a freshwater.

snakeblitz33

People get what they pay for.
If someone chooses to remain ignorant, let them.
That company has been very successful in the industry, and even though their practices make a lot of us sick, the simple fact is that is what their customers want - that is what their customers get. It may not be ethical, but it is business. That is how you make money - by giving people what they want.
With that said, if you are a hobbyist and you take any interest in the creatures that you are keeping alive - you should educate yourselves and make your own livestock choices.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brun67 http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/40#post_3471211
i feel as if the customers really have no idea what to do with the upkeep of their tanks. sure there able to build a usually nice looking tank but some are unpractical.
I still think the one episode where the lady made them install a feeding tube because shes to lazy to get a ladder and feed the fish, was ridiculous.
It was really sad, and as for the pinball tank, it only worked because they decided to make it a freshwater.
I need a scratching my head icon....I saw the same show, what makes you think it's being lazy to not want to climb a tall ladder everyday to feed the fish? A feeding tube made the unpractical ...practical. It was a design flaw to have to get out a ladder everytime to feed the fish, they should have designed it with a feeding tube to start with.
There was nothing wrong with the pinball tank either, it was freshwater fish...making it work was the goal, they didn't swap out saltwater for freshwater...it was designed freshwater from the start..
Now if you had complained about the 10 or so yellow tangs in a tank shaped like a phonebooth you would be making sense to me...but the tanks you found fault with I don't understand.

S

smallreef

Im right there with ya Flower...certain things are done for practicallity...if i could pay someone to build a feeding tube I would cuz hauling a ladder out and almost crashing your head against the ceiling is even more of a pain...the phone booth tank im gonna leave alone cuz we all know its wrong and that was last season anyway right?lol so the 2 i have seen thus far have been more about the building and still throwing the inhabitants in but hey...its a show...the pinball one was cool but i dont care for FW nor do i think that setup could work for SW without alot of upkeep, it was a good plan for the owners.
all in all i will watch it when nothing else is on to see what kind of ideas they come up with..but the faked shenanigans between the 2 and the way they leave out alot of the important background info and parts of systems still sucks...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/40#post_3472783
Im right there with ya Flower...certain things are done for practicallity...if i could pay someone to build a feeding tube I would cuz hauling a ladder out and almost crashing your head against the ceiling is even more of a pain...the phone booth tank im gonna leave alone cuz we all know its wrong and that was last season anyway right?lol so the 2 i have seen thus far have been more about the building and still throwing the inhabitants in but hey...its a show...the pinball one was cool but i dont care for FW nor do i think that setup could work for SW without alot of upkeep, it was a good plan for the owners.
all in all i will watch it when nothing else is on to see what kind of ideas they come up with..but the faked shenanigans between the 2 and the way they leave out alot of the important background info and parts of systems still sucks...
LOl...I tape the show....I may not agree with the critters they stock, but I love the family interaction and the cool looking tanks. Seeing how they make big acrylic tanks, and those props are worth it to watch. It certainly is not a how to for beginners, but it might get them to concider learning about SW tanks.

novahobbies

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that they've gotten better between the two seasons. The shark tank was an interesting build to watch, and certainly big enough for the animals they chose. More importantly, I was pleased to see how they upgraded sharks and brought the bigger ones in from a previous customer. (I bet ya there was some fun accounting going on in THAT invoice!!) I was also a little pleased to see that they made a point to talk about sustainable harvesting with the tank raised dottybacks last episode.
More importantly for me, I am happy to see more about the actual tank constructions going on. I'm a hands-on kind of guy, and I LOVE to see how these tanks are formed. Heck, I wish I could join their construction team for a year!
I hope that we'll get to see more of the filtration systems in future episodes. It's possible that last season they had to leave out other brand names for legal reasons, but I noticed they mentioned the name of the canister filter on that spade tank this time around.
Yeah, I still hate the made-for-tv scripted drama/overacting that goes on (I roll my eyes every time Redneck goes on a tirade...which is at least once per episode), but other than that.....well, not too bad. I'll keep watching.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/390830/animal-planets-tanked-2nd-season-in-april-to-love-or-to-hate/40#post_3472791
Yeah, I still hate the made-for-tv scripted drama/overacting that goes on (I roll my eyes every time Redneck goes on a tirade...which is at least once per episode), but other than that.....well, not too bad. I'll keep watching.
I liked when the wife had to jump in the shark tank...she was shaking, If that was an act, she did a fantastic job....LOL...and they gave her a "shark stick" so she could feel safe, a broom handle! I would have beat my husband with the stick when that show aired and I realized what it really was.

S

smallreef

I think they have gotten into more 'acting' this season.. dont really care for the fakey stuff.. some of the real interactions I laugh...
I do like that they go into the building of the tanks more... since that is what they mainly do, lol
hopefully they will get more into talking about other components and showing customers options so we can see how they make their decisions....
Havent seen the shark one yet... cant wait for that one... did just see the robotic arm one tonight .. that was cool! everything seemed size appropriate for the tanks they set up..