Any Chicago Trader?

junbug1970

anyone has anything for sale or trade?
i have 2 overflow boxes. one is cpr 50 and the other is rated for 600gph.
i will also have 75 gal wooden canopy by all glass in black. since i'm setting up a canopy for MH i cant use these one anymore.

junbug1970

Anyone going to CMAS farg meet this saturday in schaumburg?
i was supposed to go, but now cant. anyone going would love for them to pick me up some frags of multicolor sps's if they have any.
thanks

g13

What's up Whirley, what kind of tank do you have and what's in it?
Don't know if any of you guys know of the "MIDNIGHT MADNESS" sale at Living Sea Aquarium this Saturday. From 9pm to midnight. Went there last time and they had good sales on their livestock. Last time I went all corals and invertebrates were 20% off. They had good sales purchased a flame angel for $29 (was killed by my sixline), an orange linckia (made into ground beef by my powerhead) for $8 and some other stuff. If any of you guys are going I'd suggest getting there at 9 because it gets really packed.
Living Sea Aquarium
811 West Devon Avenue
Park Ridge, IL

g13

Hey Junbug, how is the hair algae fight going? Do you use ro/di water?
Also do you think a hang on fuge is worth getting for my 45 gallon. If I was too have live plants in the fuge do you think it will help enough to starve out the hair algae? Or am I that much better installing an under the tank fuge of 10 gallons.

junbug1970

hey G,
fuge in anyform do help. hang on fuge is defintely easier to put together, but much more expensive and all hidden from the main tank.
depending how much hair algae u have, plant and macro algae remove very little of it.
yes i have ro/di and doing water changes of 10% every week (45gal worth) it slowed the algae down alot but just not going away fast enough.
I can tell you this tho, since i have the better skimmer (nautilus te) its been looking better. I did just ordered a nautilus ex as well and hopefully both of them running will take care of it faster.

g13

Don't know about the membership thing. I never paid any fee's and they don't ask for a membership card when I go there during their past midnight sales.
I have an aqua c remora (skimmer) hang on unit that doesn't help against the hair algae. As a matter of fact I had no algae before I installed the unit.

junbug1970

hello all,
i'm looking for 1200gph pumps for my skimmer (nautilus ex) which pump is a better pump between the 2 and since i can't seemed to find mag 12 anywhere that is decent cost.
if any of you ever used any of these pump please let me know your input.
thanks
Junus

junbug1970

skimmer causes algae bloom? hmmmm
hair algae feeds from phosphate and protein and light.
skimmer will take care of the unwanted protein fuel for algae bloom.
is odd that since you uses skimmer it creates alage bloom. is it skimming alot? wet or dry skim?
i went there once and anything on sale i was told you get the discount if you are a paid member
maybe it had changed

junbug1970

Has anyone tried raising their own ghost shrimp or hatch their own brine?
please advice what i need to do?
thanks
Junus

stacey

my stepdad said theres some stuff you can buy at the pet store to help you raise and hatch brine ill call and look into the specs if you like

junbug1970

Thanks Stace,
I bought the brine kit last night thru marine depot. Just wanting to learn the do's and don'ts before hand.
Seaslugs? ummmm
i never really paid attention to them. Sea cucumber yes, but not slugs.
sorry

junbug1970

who was planning to buy somethnig from here and thinking of having it ship together? was it you G13?
i wanna buy 2 fish, but doesnt reach $75. Let me know if someone want to get in.
I'm looking for powder blue and Hippo tang
thanks

g13

Yes, that was me Junbug. Sorry, right now I'm looking to purchase a ro/di system. Do you recommend any brand of ro/di system? I was checking out the one on ----, 6 stage filtration.

junbug1970

kent marine supposedly make a good one, but make sure you buy one that comes with the flush valve. keeps your membrane longer and membrane isnt cheap
100gpd should be good

g13

Hey junbug can you check out this auction #2395352510 . It says something about ro water being used as my drinking water and DI going to my aquarium. Is that right? Doesn't the water have to go through both filtrations the RO and the DI? Or am I wrong or reading it wrong? Please check it out if you have a chance. Thanks,

junbug1970

never seen that before "dual output" aquarium most uses both RO and DI. The Ro will remove most of your phospate and the stuff in the water. RO membrane has tighter weave. Slower output but better quality.
you might want to email them and ask. I'm not too sure on this one.
FYI, ask them to give you a discount if you dont take the tank the the faucet. unless you need them for over your sink.
5 gal or 10 gal is merely enough to keep around, you better off storing it in a garbage can of water drums