Any hunters these pics are not for the weak stomach

aw2

Originally Posted by usinkit
AW2, Why not rifles? Around here 8 pointers are plenty but anything over that is rare.
I have no clue. 99% of IL is non-rifle. There are a few, very select counties, where it's allowed. I, unfortunately, dont live close to any of those counties. lol
I prefer hunting with a 12 guage over a rifle anyway...adds a little more challenge. lol

usinkit

1journeyman, well around here we are not aloud to bait deer in 85% of the state. Maybe where you live you can run out and shoot a deer in 5 min but here it doesnt happen that way.
We are over populated with the cyotes in CT and they also introduced the fisher cat that is wiping out the turkey population. We are over run with predators, so the predator theory doesnt fly with me. There is know pretending here, humans are in the cycle of nature always have been and always will be.
Its good to take the biggest out of a herd. That deer has already produced offspring with its strong genes. The biggest deer in the hurd just didnt grow up in one year. The big boy has been around for awhile and its good to take out the older deer to let the younger buck carry on with the good genes.
Iam not aware of any disease that has been spread to livestock yet but CWD is spreading in whitetail deer more so in the west but they did have a case of it in NY. Its only a matter of time IMO that CWD will end up spreading to livestock via farms where there is plenty of foods for them to feed on.
But thats just take on hunting!!!

usinkit

I like the rifle you can really reach out and touch something with them. I have a 12 guage but this thing kicks like mule with the slug barrel on, so i use it for turkey hunting or if I go on state land which is very rare. Too many yahoos hunt on state property around here. i like to hunt on private property becuase you know whos out there.

aw2

I like the rifle you can really reach out and touch something with them. I have a 12 guage but this thing kicks like mule with the slug barrel on, so i use it for turkey hunting or if I go on state land which is very rare. Too many yahoos hunt on state property around here. i like to hunt on private property becuase you know whos out there.
Exactly.
It's harder to get a good shot with a shotgun. They dont have the range, for one.
When I was in the Navy, we used to fly out into the desert, out West and shoot Mule Deer with our M4's. Easiest hunting I ever did.

socal57che

I bought a stainless Savage 112 in 7mm STW (7mm Mag on steroids) to start hunting deer again, but moved shortly thereafter and sold it.

usinkit

With my rifled barrel on the 12 it is accurate to 100 yards. When I sighted it in at 50 yards it didnt drop but a half inch at 100. Around here most shots are under a 100 yards. I just like the feel of the 30/30.

socal57che

I think my next "long ranger" will be in 375 H&H or 416 Rigby...............but I only hunt paper nowadays, so it will be to add to my dwindling collection.

socal57che

Stainless steel thats the way to go!!! Less fuss when it comes to wiping them down.
I agree...and it looks better IMO. Of course stealth is of some importance. In direct sunlight the barrel did give off a glare at times.

aw2

I bought a Beretta Xtrema2 a a while ago, but havent had the opprotunity to use it yet.

usinkit

I just couldnt give up hunting. A buddy and I take three weeks off in the fall to hunt. We hunt from sunup to sundown. We have 2 way radios that keep us occupied.

socal57che

Originally Posted by AW2
I bought a Beretta Xtrema2 a a while ago, but havent had the opprotunity to use it yet.
Arent they like $1000 plus the rifled barrel?

aw2

Originally Posted by socal57che
Arent they like $1000 plus the rifled barrel?

I picked up mine, with rifled barrel, for $1499. Just another to add to the ever growing collection. lol