Aqua Illumination Led Light?

brokendeck

Anyone know about Aqua Illumination's LED lightning. Im thinking about changing over to one of there LED lights. model is the nano. if anyone has this lightning or know anything about it, would love to know how it is and the info on it. my LFS has them, they look great.

snakeblitz33

I'd start by looking at your LFS's tank first. Seeing the light in person is always, always, much better than looking at a picture of it on the internet. They make two different lines - which one are you going for, and what do you consider a nano?
Ask your LFS how long he has tested them on that particular tank. I wouldn't buy them if A. I didn't like the color or the color temp couldn't be changed. B. If the light has been tested for no less than 6 weeks at your LFS.

brokendeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/393233/aqua-illumination-led-light#post_3496793
I'd start by looking at your LFS's tank first. Seeing the light in person is always, always, much better than looking at a picture of it on the internet. They make two different lines - which one are you going for, and what do you consider a nano?
Ask your LFS how long he has tested them on that particular tank. I wouldn't buy them if A. I didn't like the color or the color temp couldn't be changed. B. If the light has been tested for no less than 6 weeks at your LFS.
Colors are awesome and gives a amazing shimmer look. LFS has had it set up for almost a year now. All the corals and fish in the tank look good, but LFS also sells the corals out of that tank so im not sure how long things are being kept in there. Dont ask them to often about things like this bc they are just trying to make a sale IMO. Ive fell for 2 things in the past that ive been sold on there and it was complete junk. Dont go there often anymore. My biggest problem is the closet saltwater store is a hour away. Dont get to see many lights and new things to often.
Just curious but what do you mean from this in the above reply. dont understand.
The color temp couldnt be changed? Dont know what you are referring to. Im lost all together on changing a color temp? lol

snakeblitz33

A color temp is the visible spectrum of light that we see... and the violet, blue, orange and red spectrums is what corals use to grow and thrive. Color temp is the Kelvin that is listed with the bulbs.... I.E. 6500k, 10000k, 12,000k, 14,000k, 16000k, 20,000k color temps. 65k is really yellow and 20,000k is really blue. The spectrum of visible light ranges from about 390nm to 770nm... corals (and plants) use the 390-490 and a bit of the 575nm-700nm color spectrum for the process of photosynthesis. We see all the colors, but that is what plants actually use. Plants (and corals) reflect the colors that they can NOT use.... IE most plants reflect a green color - that's because that's the color pigment that plants don't use for photosynthesis. Though we can provide just blue and white color temps to our corals, it won't make the corals look good, or reflect their true colors because there is no other visible light spectrum available for the corals to reflect. Also, by using only a blue color spectrum, we are limiting our corals growth by not providing a full spectrum of light that would otherwise be available to them through natural sunlight. (the oranges and reds).
So,... in summary - color temp is what we see - it's a wide spectrum of visible light measured in Kelvin (K.) Spectrum is measured in nanometers (nm) to determine exactly what wavelength of light is being produced. (color)
I hope this helped and didn't confuse you more.

snakeblitz33

Bah, and all I did was define color temp. I didn't tell you why I wouldn't buy a unit that didn't do any color temp changes. LOL.
Most quality LED fixtures and kits are dimmable... either in two channels or multiple channels, like the AI Vega. By dimming some color temps (blue, red, green, white, violet, cyan (for example, with the Vega)) you can change the color of visible light that you see over the tank. So, if you like a more 10k look, you crank up the whites and turn down the blues. My eyes are very picky because I am mildly colorblind - therefore, I have to play around with my lighting until my reef looks good to me. What I am saying is,.... I wouldn't buy an LED unit unless I could change the color temp to fit my eyes.

brokendeck

litttle confused but i understand. do they even offer orange or red led lights for coral growth? blue and white will grow coral as well correct? not big on corals but i wanna learn everything about them and start up a nice reef tank.

acrylic51

Not sure if the nano's offer the red combination.....Orange doesn't seem to be a standard color in the systems....What would be the advantage of orange.....

snakeblitz33

Not sure if the nano's offer the red combination.....Orange doesn't seem to be a standard color in the systems....What would be the advantage of orange.....
Purely from a photosynthesis point of view, orange is one of the spectrums used to make glucose for energy.

geoj

Here is a good read that is related to this topic. This does not always apply to corals but for the most part it does because the Photosynthetic proteins are the same. What I find of interest is that not all colors provide the same energy nor do they penetrate water equally. Blue and green light penetrate the water the best and red, orange, and violet not much more then 10m.
Photosynthesis
Photosynthesis takes place within specialized organelles within a plant's cells, called chloroplasts. Plants convert solar light, along with water and carbon dioxide, into chemical energy that the plant uses for growth and nourishment. The solar light consists of photons, or light particles, that have varying wavelengths. Each wavelength within the color spectrum is absorbed or reflected by the plant, depending on the individual color.
Blue Light
Blue light absorbs into a plant's chloroplasts, promoting leaf and vegetative growth, as opposed to green light, which reflects off of a plant's leaves. The blue light wavelength actually causes a plant to respond faster to light stimulation. The chlorophyll, or light-absorbing pigment, within the chloroplast becomes fueled and stimulated. As a result, more solar energy changes into usable chemical energy for growth.
Blue Light Mixed with Red Light
A mixture of blue and red light generates flowering in plants. The red light possesses more energy than the blue light because of the different wavelength values. Adding red light to blue light creates a high energy level, stimulating a plant to reproduce through generating a flower bud. Both of these colors are easily absorbed by a plant's chlorophyll.
Growing Plants
Many gardening enthusiasts enjoy growing plants indoors. Plants naturally clean the air by removing the carbon dioxide and providing expelled oxygen. Growing a plant from a seed requires quality lighting, specifically light that emits blue and red wavelengths. Fluorescent bulbs, with cool white light, have a high level of blue wavelengths that develop seedlings better than other wavelengths. In fact, many light manufacturers create specific grow lights with mainly blue and red wavelength outputs, imitating the sun's light rays. As an alternative, some gardeners use incandescent bulbs. Incandescent lights offer a red wavelength source coupled with orange wavelengths. However, these bulbs generate excess heat, negatively impacting a plant's growth.
Specific Plants
Lighting Laboratory reports that specific plants respond greatly to blue light stimulation. Radishes, spinach, lettuce and wheat exhibited greater growth production compared to other plant types exposed to blue light. In particular, blue light stimulated radishes by encouraging the movement of chemical energy from growing leaves to developing the radish tuber, or root.
Light
Light travels in waves but also as little energy packets called photons. A photon of light contains the entire visible spectrum: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Plants absorb red, orange, yellow, blue, indigo and violet wavelengths of light but reflect green. When wavelengths of light are absorbed, they are no longer available for eyes to see, which is why plants look green.
Pigments
Pigments absorb light. The pigment chlorophyll, found in green plants, absorbs violet, blue and red wavelengths. Carotenoids absorb red, orange and yellow wavelengths, while phycobilins absorb red and blue wavelengths.
Photosynthesis
During the process of photosynthesis, pigments absorb light and convert it to energy. The energy, along with carbon dioxide and water, is used to make sugar. This sugar molecule bonds with the adenine, a colorless crystalline substance, and three phosphate groups to form the molecule adenosine triphosphate (ATP).
/>Carbon dioxide exists in the air just like oxygen. It's true that plants use carbon dioxide and give off oxygen as a waste product. During photosynthesis, six molecules of carbon dioxide plus six molecules of water plus the light energy yields a molecule of sugar and six molecules of oxygen. The carbon dioxide is broken into its two elements, carbon and oxygen, and water into its component parts, hydrogen and oxygen. The elements carbon and hydrogen recombine with some of the oxygen to form sugar, which the plant uses to grow. The rest of the oxygen is excreted into the air.
Limited Light Spectra
Plants grow best when exposed to the entire visible light spectrum. Scientists experimenting with different colors of light agree that exposing plants to limited light spectra alters the process of photosynthesis. Indoor-plant growers use blue light, because plants exposed to blue light grow better than plants exposed to other wavelengths. Red comes in second and yellow, third. Plants grow badly in green light, which make sense, since green light is the color reflected by plants.
Other Light Phenomenon
Plants with little light exposure grew taller because they are trying to reach the sun. They are also pale in color but change back to green when exposed to more light.
Plants living deep in the ocean aren't exposed to enough sunlight to produce the sugar they need for food. Instead of photosynthesis, they use chemosynthesis. They obtain their energy from sulfates, nitrites, iron compounds and other substances.

acrylic51

Very interesting article.....but again orange doesn't seem to be a major focal point in the light studies does it......

2quills

Most all of the white leds that are out there already have the orange range of the spectrum covered pretty well. U.V. in the 420nm range, a little bit of green for color and deep red to help boost growth. That's what I think most white/blue fixtures out there on the market are either lacking or missing all together.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/393233/aqua-illumination-led-light#post_3496916
All the more reason to wait a couple more years.
Seth it's just like everything else in this world.....A man....I better not have that surgery this year, because next year they might come out with some major improvements.....Or if I buy that Dodge this year, what will they introduce on the next model.....It's part of the game....A key thing to me is a system that allows it to grow and expand with your needs......

luvmyreef

That looks like a nice fixture. Now, if they could make it bigger, for the larger tanks, lol so we can have just one nice fixture to hang above the tank!!!