Aquascaping...Confused...please help?

Here is my aquascaping as of right now...my new light will be here soon (hopefully)

Im soo..confused on what to do next....:( Should I get more LR? Or should I combine the LR on the sides?
I have 2 red shrooms, 2 watermelon shrooms, yellow polyps, and orange center zoas comming next week and I want to make sure I have the best places for them!
INFO:
55 gallon tank
Setup since October
80 LBS LS
55-60LBS Fiji Ultra Premium LR That a purchased a couple of weeks ago that cured for almost 3 wks.
Inhabitants:
2 blue legged hermits
1 sea star
5 feather dusters (Hitchhikers)
Any help/opinions would be great as always!!!
Thanks,
-Amy

michaeltx

how much more are you planning on adding. there is no worng way as long as its secure and not resting on the back of the tank.
Mike

scopus tang

Amy,
55 to 60 pounds of LR in a 55 gallon system is more than enough for filter purposes. IMO, however, your tank looks a little bare; either break down the wall and do islands of LR or add some additional LR. Light demanding corals, like zoas are going to want to be closer to your lights. Also, IMO your clean-up crew is too small, and your going to have trouble keeping algae and diatom growth under control. I would increase your cuc numbers to at least 50 to 75 critters. Looks like you are off to a good start. What kind of lights are you running on your system? Do you have a protein skimmer?

I will have in the next few days a Hood with (4) 54 watt t5 lights retro fitted with reflectors
Seaclone 100 Protien skimmer
I'm getting 2 emerald crabs on Saturday but will up my clean up crew!

scopus tang

Originally Posted by amyandbrandon2
http:///forum/post/2468611
I will have in the next few days a Hood with (4) 54 watt t5 lights retro fitted with reflectors
I'm getting 2 emerald crabs on Saturday but will up my clean up crew!

Sounds and looks like you are off to a great start ~ I personally would have went with the 150 instead of the 100 with that brand (watch your airline - they build up calcium and plug, then the skimmer stops working - remove airline and clean with end of paperclip to restart (it'll be several weeks before it plugs, but it will plug)). You might want to consider moving all the rock from one side to leave a more open space for fish to swim and to build one side up higher, but as MichaelTX said, there is no wrong way to do it! The main thing is that you like the way it looks. Beyond that, enjoy

metweezer

amyandbrandon2;2468611 said:
How do you like the Seaclone? I got rid of mine after a month. Hated it. Got an Aqua C Remora. Just didn't like the fittings on the J tube. You turn them wrong way and water on the floor. I am a newbie but I would recommend more LR (20 lbs.).
Steve

I don't have the skimmer yet....should be here soon! But I'll be sure to send you a pm when it gets here and has been running for a few days!

metweezer

The lighting seems okay but your LR is so far from it. Some corals require very high intensity light. I would add more LR to get closer to the water surface or take some off the sides and build up the middle. The general school of thought is 1.5 lbs of LR per gal
P.S. I already told you how I feel about the Seaclone.

Originally Posted by metweezer
http:///forum/post/2470535
The lighting seems okay but your LR is so far from it. Some corals require very high intensity light. I would add more LR to get closer to the water surface or take some off the sides and build up the middle. The general school of thought is 1.5 lbs of LR per gal
P.S. I already told you how I feel about the Seaclone.
Thanks for you help! I've re-aquascaped and made one side really close to the light...I'll take a pic later and send it to you to see what you think....I know you've told me aobut the seaclone and I respect your opinion...I got a sweet deal on it...(i didn't pay anything for it, it was thrown in with the light I purchased) so if it sucks I'll get another one and all will be well!

ice4ice

Why don't you paint the back of the tank instead of the scenery sheet ? Eventually it'll get salt creep and you'll have to take it off.

teresaq

I would add some base rock under what you have. That way your good rock isnt under the sand. Google tonga dry rock. It looks really nice.
T
ps. 4 more days till shipping.

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2471269
I would add some base rock under what you have. That way your good rock isnt under the sand. Google tonga dry rock. It looks really nice.
T
ps. 4 more days till shipping.

I've re-aquascaped and I think I'm pretty happy with it this time! I got the glue "aquamend" so I could place the rock exactly where I wanted, I made 2 seperate islands that are fairly close to the top. One of the islands has a nice cave that I am super pleased with! I'll take a pic later when the water clears...I'm trying to find a few coral skeleton pieces to make some interesting rock pieces but am having no luck thus far!
I am soooo excited!! With any luck my lights will be here tomorrow I'll get them set up! Go to my LFS on saturday get some more CUC and an emerald crab...and then on tuesday my coral gets shipped out!!! I can hardly wait to get those bad boys in my tank!! hehe...

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
http:///forum/post/2471267
Why don't you paint the back of the tank instead of the scenery sheet ? Eventually it'll get salt creep and you'll have to take it off.
The scenery sheet if that slicky plastic like sheet that could easily be taken off and wiped clean...but...You know painting does sound like a good idea! Is there a certain type of paint that works better than others?

scopus tang

Generally nothing, except you will not be able to clean the glass around where the rock rests on the tank. Be careful however that the rock is not putting pressure on the tank and that your rock base is below the sand bed and very stable; if not and a fish or you disturbs the pile, the rock could crack the glass

scopus tang

Originally Posted by amyandbrandon2
http:///forum/post/2471277
I've re-aquascaped and I think I'm pretty happy with it this time! I got the glue "aquamend" so I could place the rock exactly where I wanted, I made 2 seperate islands that are fairly close to the top. One of the islands has a nice cave that I am super pleased with! I'll take a pic later when the water clears...I'm trying to find a few coral skeleton pieces to make some interesting rock pieces but am having no luck thus far!
I am soooo excited!! With any luck my lights will be here tomorrow I'll get them set up! Go to my LFS on saturday get some more CUC and an emerald crab...and then on tuesday my coral gets shipped out!!! I can hardly wait to get those bad boys in my tank!! hehe...

Amy sounds like you're on the right track - assume this was prior to the backpack sump issue - were you able to reestablish your rockwork after the move? Can't wait to see pictures.

mak90

ive been thinkng about re-doing my rocks and creating island like formations...hurry with the pictures!!

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2471356
Amy sounds like you're on the right track - assume this was prior to the backpack sump issue - were you able to reestablish your rockwork after the move? Can't wait to see pictures.

Originally Posted by mak90

http:///forum/post/2471369
ive been thinkng about re-doing my rocks and creating island like formations...hurry with the pictures!!

Check back later tonight...after 6...and I should have some pics up!