Away With The Irs!!!

pontius

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
Now, what do you think about the Illegals that don't have a valid social security and are/have been working for years without a refund? someone has an answer to this ?
yeah, I have an answer for that....they don't pay taxes, social security, or insurance. so why WOULD they get any kind of refund? they should get refunded to their own country.

nvmycj

Originally Posted by Pontius
this does not affect illegal immigration at all because most of the money they make is sent back to Mexico. as Jovial said, the rich have limitless ways to shelter their money into tax writeoffs. so if this were passed, there would have to new laws written on what kind of things can be tax writeoffs.
BUT, I'd much rather have this than the way it is now. I'm middle class, and right now, I'm paying 5% sales tax, 28% income tax, and several thousand a year in property tax. with a flat tax, you have more control over how much you pay.
It's wrong about what Jovial said because we would no longer have to worry about sneaking around and trying to figure out tax loop holes and tax write offs. The "rich" have to buy stuff, just like we do.
And you are right about the different taxes you're paying. Income tax, property tax, county and state taxes would ALL GO AWAY.

pontius

Originally Posted by NVMYCJ
It's wrong about what Jovial said because we would no longer have to worry about sneaking around and trying to figure out tax loop holes and tax write offs. The "rich" have to buy stuff, just like we do.
And you are right about the different taxes you're paying. Income tax, property tax, county and state taxes would ALL GO AWAY.
in addition to my regular job, I have a real estate license. real estate is one of the top money making industries. and believe me, there are a TON of tax writeoffs for people who make a lot of money in these kinds of jobs. even for luxury items.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Incorrect.
States have different tax rates. In Texas, for instance, we don't have a State Income Tax. Our sales taxes are done by city and county.

i know
jersey is 7%

nvmycj

Originally Posted by Pontius
yeah, I have an answer for that....they don't pay taxes, social security, or insurance. so why WOULD they get any kind of refund? they should get refunded to their own country.
Precisely.

jovial

Another issue to ponder, in any way are the illeagal aliens entitiled to the earned income credit? I suppose a tax return would have to be filed first. If so then we the tax paying Americans would essentially be paying them to break our laws.
I hope this is not the case.
Pontius you might know this since you have experience in the real estate sector, Ive heard of special programs from lenders for illeagal aliens? dont know how true this is but considering that many are entitled to every other government handout i.e medical care (emergency rooms) and public education for their children I wouldnt be surprised. If they own homes then property taxes would apply right?

jovial

I own a small business...
If a flat tax goes into effect I'll be paying much less. (provided I work hard and get business in the shape I believe I can)
Journeyman what kind of small business do you operate?

seasalt101

Originally Posted by Jovial
Another issue to ponder, in any way are the illeagal aliens entitiled to the earned income credit? I suppose a tax return would have to be filed first. If so then then we the tax paying Americans would essentially be paying them to break our laws.
Pontius you might know this since you have experience in the real estate sector, Ive heard of special programs from lenders for illeagal aliens? dont know how true this is but considering that many are entitled to every other government handout i.e medical care (emergency rooms) and public education for their children I wouldnt be surprised. If they own homes then property taxes would apply right?
i'm just wondering gas would go down quite a bit...tobin

nvmycj

Another issue to ponder, in any way are the illeagal aliens entitiled to the earned income credit? I suppose a tax return would have to be filed first. If so then then we the tax paying Americans would essentially be paying them to break our laws.
The house loan issue is true. I lived in Miami and personally know of folks, not only Cubans, that are here, illegally and somehow "qualified" for a home loan. I just don't get that!

nvmycj

Originally Posted by seasalt101

WRONG Tobin..........it would go down TREMENDOUSLY!

jovial

The house loan issue is true. I lived in Miami and personally know of folks, not only Cubans, that are here, illegally and somehow "qualified" for a home loan. I just don't get that!
My guess is that they do not have to show verifyable income since the lenders dont care where the $ comes from as long as they get paid. Maybe real estate property is considered the same as any other tangible purchase? but regarding the property taxes I thought you had to have a legitimate *** for the IRS to track whether or not the property taxes were being paid or to use the property as a tax deduction.

jovial

Originally Posted by seasalt101
Ive given up on the whole gasoline thing man, I dont think the price of gasoline will ever go down substantially. Since the US has always been innovators and pioneers of new technology we should also be leading the way away from gasoline. Gasoline dependancy is like being hooked on crack.
Ethanol= short term fix/bandage
Bio-deisel= same thing
Nuclear power, uranium will eventually run out also.
Hydrogen= takes power to make it.
Hate to paint such a depressing picture but maybe are only options are wind and solar resources, that and hydro or more tidal locks.

reefraff

Sorry folks, aint ever gonna happpen. A flat or even a simple tax doesn't offer congress the opportunity to tailor the bill to the advantage of whoever gave them the most campaign donations.
If you don't think taxes are too high take a close look at your Power bill, gas bill, phone bill, cell phone bill, cable or sat TV bill, water bill. Then look into what percentage of that 3.00 a gollon gas is taxes. Then hidden taxes and fees. Have an oil change on your car? Taxed, new tires? taxed again. Like to hunt and fish? More hidden taxes and I'm not talking about what the businesses are adding to cost to cover the income taxes they pay, these are special excize taxes that the state and feds apply to certain items. After that you can look at your pay stub

pontius

not sure about that. I don't think there's such a thing as that in SC (but I'm sure it will be forthcoming if Lindsey Lightfoot Graham gets his way). probably is in places like California though. I do know that state agencies that receive federal funds must make their services available and provide translators for "non-english speaking people" (which basically means illegals), which I think is a load of crap.

reefreak29

"...the majority of people are middle class lets say 50 million people are makeing 50 thousand a year , 15 percent tax would be 7500 a year as apposed to 15000..."
You are talking about taxing an income. Remember,....it's a tax on stuff you purchase. Your income is not a factor at all.

, so im still getting taxed 28 percent on my income and there raising sales tax to 15 percent how does that make sense, ant flat tax ive ever read about taxes your income as well

reefkprz

one of the biggest drawbacks I could see would be a serious crack down on person to person sales, they would call private sales tax evasion.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by reefreak29
, so im still getting taxed 28 percent on my income and there raising sales tax to 15 percent how does that make sense, ant flat tax ive ever read about taxes your income as well
No reef, that's the point. Income tax would be abolished. (Federal tax anyway).

reefreak29

No reef, that's the point. Income tax would be abolished. (Federal tax anyway).
ok now im confused i beleive this applies to your income as well this is what the defanition is of a flat tax
True flat tax
a true flat tax is a system of taxation where one tax rate is applied to all income with no exceptions

tangman99

There have been several options thrown around for almost 20 years that is causing the confusion. There is the flat rate federal income tax which does not affect state tax or sales tax. There is also the National Sales tax which replaces the federal income tax that acts like a flat tax but isn't exactly. You still have state sales tax which is a separate budget. There are many other varations. All have been around for a while and in my opinion we will be having snowball fights in hell before any of them come around.
Personally, I would love to see a flat tax. I get royally punished every tax season because of my tax bracket. I take advantage of every tax break available but I can't deduct child care (I use a caferteria plan for 5K savings but that covers about half), I don't get any of the child credits, everything I can itemize is reduced by a percentange all because my household income is too high. Don't get me wrong. I'm greatful for what I have, but when I look at my 1020 tax form and the amount of taxes owed is almost 40K, a flat tax looks pretty darn good to me.