Base Rock?? And Cycling??

snailheave

you buy a few of those, add the costs for film developing, the total is no cheaper than owning a digital camera.

snailheave

show him the numbers. they don't lie
test again on saturday. although it's okay to test daily because you might not have a chance to test any ammonia/nitrite after cycle

aredmon

Well then. I guess it is time to put together an I want list.
Here is what I am thinking about in a 75g:
Domino Damsel
4 stripe damsel ( I don't want damsels but my husband likes these 2 fish in particular
sais they remind him of him
Gambaling & Jail

2 percula clowns
Blue Hippo tank ( promised the kids
)
I was thinking of either a flameback angel or a naso Tang (for me)
cleaner shrimp
Now these will not be all added at one time, very far apart actualy. Is this ok or is this to many? And what should go in first?

aredmon

I heard they are kind of mean. You don't think they will be ok? By the way I was reading one of your other threads in the aqarium and I was reading one about the office game. :scared:

aredmon

so do you think all the other fish are ok? How many fish do you think I can put in a 75g? I almost thought about going aggressive with my tank also. I love the tessa eel!!

snailheave

you should keep to one tang for a tank that size. pick a smaller angel as well. if you keep larger fishes like angels and tangs, you won't be able to keep many.
how many fish you can keep is determined by [full grown] size.

1journeyman

Damsels are from the darkest abyss in hades. They grow quick, eat a lot, produce a lot of waste, get territorial, get aggressive, and bite you when you SCUBA dive....
Tangs need a lot of swimming room. Most recommend a 6 foot long tank for a Tang.
A good book that you might want to pick up is Michael's "Pocket guide to Marine Fish". It tells about compatibility, max fish size, etc.

J

jdragunas

yes, yes, great book. I think the tangs you suggested are not suitable for a tank your size, unless you plan on upgrading in a few years. Maybe try a convict tang, as they don't get as big, and will be ok in that tank size.
Angels are not reef safe, and will most likely pick on your inverts... just a heads up.
your #1 priority should be to get that book, it's a life saver. It has over 500 different fish, and gives you information on each one such as the tank size needed, what they eat, if they're reef safe, who they're compatible with, and who they're not, and more.

aredmon

ok. weekend over and I am back. Here are my readings from Sat. Let me know what you think.
PH (is down) 8.0 (is this still ok?)
Nitrite 5.0
Ammonia .50
Nitrate 20
Will my trates go down by themselves? If not how do I get them down? Plus that peice of lr that I said had brown spots is now covered in brown. If this is bad algea how do I get rid of it or will it go away?
I made a joke earlier that I was going to have the longest cycle every recorded and I am at 6weeks and counting!!

1journeyman

Here's a quick explanation of the breakdown of ammonia.
Aerobic (breathes oxygen) bacteria from the air (or from introduced sand, rock, etc.) consumes ammonia, reproduces, produces nitrites...
Aerobic bacteria consumes nitrites, reproduces, produces nitrates.
Now.. here's where the process gets a little more tricky:
Anearobic (oxygenless) bacteria consumes nitrates, reproduces, produces N gas and oxygen (i believe.. chemistry not my favorite subject).
Anearobic bacteria is found deep in the heart of live rock. Most aquariums, however, do not have enough anearobic bacteria to keep up with the demand for it; Therefore you get an eventual buildup of nitrate and must remove it through water changes.
There are other ways to harbor anearobic bacteria, though. The way that I use and am familiar with is by using a deep sand bed. The bottom couple of inches of a deep sand bed are poor in oxygen and allow for the growth of anearobic bacteria.
Hope that helps!

aredmon

When should I do my first water change. I have been told to do it after the cycle. I also have about a 2in deep sand bed. Is that ok?

J

jdragunas

that's fine for a sandbed. I'd do a water change when your ammonia and nitrites both read 0. that's the end of your cycle. Looks like it's progressing rather well!
A DSB is a great addition to any tank, but it also has it's downfalls. If you want to have less water changes, you can go with a DSB, but DSB's trap nitrates in small pockets throughout it, and when disturbed, will release these pockets of nitrates back into your system, causing a big spike in nitrates, and possible deaths. As long as you don't have anything stirring your sanbed, it's fine to have a DSB, but otherwise, i'd say go with a shallow sandbed, which is what you have right now.