Bodybuilding advice - please

speg

Originally Posted by socal57che
Bone also brought up aminos. I would spend the money on a good amino acid supplement before a gainer, but that's me.
This stuff I bought does give all those amino acids + protein + all sorts of other stuff (suposedly).
Uh also to the person that says I dont have a positive attitude.. how could I not have a positive attitude if im willing to work out for up to two hours a day 6 days a week :p I'd say thats about as positive as it comes.
I think i'll try to cut down on how many days I exercise though and maybe increase the exercises I do and the time I do them.
I've been jogging every other day and my sister tells me that her bodybuilding friend says that I should only be walking if im trying to gain muscle. Jogging ruins what im trying to do she says.. can anybody comment on that?
As for what kinda exercises im doing - all of them! :p just about anything im able to do with the equipment I and my friend have. I've been going to abcbodybuilding.com and looking over the different suggested exercises and doing them.
I've been trying to do as much weight as I can handle that im able to do 10 reps in 3 sets. If im able to get through the 3rd set too easily then I just add another set.
I've really only been working out my arms correctly for maybe 2 weeks now... so it really hasnt been a lot of time.. I just dont understand why I continue to lose weight.. thats not what im trying to do right now... I really dont have much more weight to lose and my mom (who may be retarded) is saying I look TOO skinny. lol

27mtaylor

Speg, I just started working work again about 3 weeks ago. It really stinks getting back into it with all the soreness you have to go through, but once you get over that, its not so bad. You just need a good lifting partner to keep you motivated and focused on your goal.
As far as eating and supplements go, in my opinion, they can be over rated. I'm a meat and potato guy and I am able to increase my strength and size by my work outs. Now if you wanted to do competition body building, I would tell you to take all that other stuff. Don't get me wrong, eating right and taking supplements will definately help you, but I guess you have to look at what you are lifting weights for.
Back several years ago, I used to run a lot while I was lifting weights (not at the same time, lol). I found that for me, running and lifting weights didn't help me gain strength or mass. I felt like that if I was going for endurance and high reps then running didn't hurt me, but if I was going for strength and mass running actually held me back.
To gain strength, you probably want to reduce the reps that you do at each station. Do a heavy weight where you are only able to lift it 5-6 times. Do about 4 sets like that on each exercise. Another way you can do it is to pyrimid. Say for example on bench, I start out with 225 lbs on the bar. I do it 8 times. My next set I increase the weight to 235 lbs. I do it 6 times. Then I raise the weight to 245 lbs. I do it 4 times. Doing it this way helped me to increase my strength and size. Just pick a weight that you can handle and you want the last rep of each set to be hard to push up.
Why you are still loosing wieght, I'm not sure. You are obvioulsy burning more cals than you are taking in. Cut back on the running and maybe eat more. Again this is just my opinion, but weight lifting results are individual. What works for one person may not work for another. Hope this helps.

speg

Originally Posted by 27mtaylor
Speg, I just started working work again about 3 weeks ago. It really stinks getting back into it with all the soreness you have to go through, but once you get over that, its not so bad. You just need a good lifting partner to keep you motivated and focused on your goal.
As far as eating and supplements go, in my opinion, they can be over rated. I'm a meat and potato guy and I am able to increase my strength and size by my work outs. Now if you wanted to do competition body building, I would tell you to take all that other stuff. Don't get me wrong, eating right and taking supplements will definately help you, but I guess you have to look at what you are lifting weights for.
Back several years ago, I used to run a lot while I was lifting weights (not at the same time, lol). I found that for me, running and lifting weights didn't help me gain strength or mass. I felt like that if I was going for endurance and high reps then running didn't hurt me, but if I was going for strength and mass running actually held me back.
To gain strength, you probably want to reduce the reps that you do at each station. Do a heavy weight where you are only able to lift it 5-6 times. Do about 4 sets like that on each exercise. Another way you can do it is to pyrimid. Say for example on bench, I start out with 225 lbs on the bar. I do it 8 times. My next set I increase the weight to 235 lbs. I do it 6 times. Then I raise the weight to 245 lbs. I do it 4 times. Doing it this way helped me to increase my strength and size. Just pick a weight that you can handle and you want the last rep of each set to be hard to push up.
Why you are still loosing wieght, I'm not sure. You are obvioulsy burning more cals than you are taking in. Cut back on the running and maybe eat more. Again this is just my opinion, but weight lifting results are individual. What works for one person may not work for another. Hope this helps.

Well for me I love feeling pain and soreness. I also dont need anybody to keep me motivated because I do so well by myself. When I was dieting my mother/sister was eating whatever they wanted to right in front of me and it didnt bother me.
I appreciate all the advice though! I am stuck with only 100 lbs for my weight right now because thats all the weights I have :p
At my friends house there are two machines which max at 100 lbs, at mine I have a bench and a leg press and my weights only go to 100 lbs and I can only fit 60 lbs on the leg press =c( I also have two 15 lb dumbells and 2 25 lb dumbells.
Im not a big strong monsterous guy yet.. so this weight isnt too bad for me :) Hopefully one day I can increase the weight and become huge and dominate people!

27mtaylor

LOL, gotcha... I remember those days of not having much equipment to work out with. Are you still in High School? Just a thought, but why not stay after school and use the weight room. When I was in HS, I had a good friend that I would stay after with and we would lift weights for about an hour or so. Like I said, just a thought... could get you closer to dominating people, like I do. j/k

speg

Originally Posted by 27mtaylor
LOL, gotcha... I remember those days of not having much equipment to work out with. Are you still in High School? Just a thought, but why not stay after school and use the weight room. When I was in HS, I had a good friend that I would stay after with and we would lift weights for about an hour or so. Like I said, just a thought... could get you closer to dominating people, like I do. j/k

Nah i've been out of high school for quite some time now. I thought about joining a gym... but I dunno.. I would need a partner to go with me if I did :p I wouldnt want to go to one without some backup just incase someone decided to throw down! :p haha

27mtaylor

I know what you mean about joining the gym and needing a partner. Not to mention, if you are cheap like me, you have to fork out a chunk of money. From my experience with the gym, you can always find someone to spot you. Most people don't mind helping you. They can also give good advice on what you need to do to meet your weight lifting goals. If I wasn't married, I would probably be a member of a gym somewhere. Instead, I work out with a friend of mine at the county Jail (he is a cop). They have a nice weight room for all the cops to use. And I don't have to pay anything!!!

J

jdragunas

ohhhh, i see that now... i always give him crap about not being confident, so i thought he was talking to me...
J('it's all about me')D

moray345

hey i dont know if anyone already mentioned this but go out and get some Creatine builds muscle mass puts on weight its great...

speg

I dont do anything at all thats bad for my body in any way. No coffee, no drugs, no smoking, no drinking, no skydiving, etc. So im not taking steroids :)
I have sllllowlllly started gaining some weight.. and by slowly... I mean maybe a lb or two. Anybody have any idea how long roughly you have to workout to get.... anywhere at all? I swear I can see a bit of a difference.. but its not too big of one at all.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Speg
I dont do anything at all thats bad for my body in any way. No coffee, no drugs, no smoking, no drinking, no skydiving, etc. So im not taking steroids :)
I have sllllowlllly started gaining some weight.. and by slowly... I mean maybe a lb or two. Anybody have any idea how long roughly you have to workout to get.... anywhere at all? I swear I can see a bit of a difference.. but its not too big of one at all.
to see results it can take 6 to 16 weeks depending on your regiment and nutrition... you see yourself everyday (in the mirror) so you are going to be more critical...

speg

Originally Posted by ruaround
to see results it can take 6 to 16 weeks depending on your regiment and nutrition... you see yourself everyday (in the mirror) so you are going to be more critical...
Ah cool. Thats far less time than I was thinking :)
I used to think that building muscle was like a every single day of your life thing.... thats why I never bothered worrying about it :p lol

mopar9012

i started lifting wieghts at my highschool in i guess october. i gained 10 pounds since then and i would say it was all fromt the weight lifting..

speg

Originally Posted by matty0h_52
I would sit down and decide what you can offord and how much time you want to invest in this. On average i spend at LEAST 250bucks a week in food. NOT adding in my vitamins, muscle milk's RTD's exc. And the above statement 70% nutrition and 30% exercise is right on the money. remember im not trying to be mean just trying to help
You really pay 250 bucks a week on food? Are you sure? Are you having it shipped in from China?

27mtaylor

To actually visually see the results it may take several weeks, like ruaround stated, but to actully be able to push more weight and more reps, you are looking at just a couple of weeks. Of course not all people progress in the same amount of time.

jmick

Thought I’d chime in here and offer some advice. First, get a GYM MEMBERSHIP and work out on quality equipment—it makes a difference, the range of equipment and the different exercises you can do on them is far superior to what you are doing at your friends. On top of that, it will give you an opportunity to learn what other people are doing and you should get some tips from guys who have been working out for many years. Also check out this site, http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/tr...et-workout.htm it has some really good work outs and some info on different supplements.

27mtaylor

Originally Posted by Jmick
Thought I’d chime in here and offer some advice. First, get a GYM MEMBERSHIP and work out on quality equipment—it makes a difference, the range of equipment and the different exercises you can do on them is far superior to what you are doing at your friends. On top of that, it will give you an opportunity to learn what other people are doing and you should get some tips from guys who have been working out for many years. Also check out this site, http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/tr...et-workout.htm it has some really good work outs and some info on different supplements.
I agree. To get the mass and strength that you are wanting, you will need those heavier weights and the gym will have a lot more equipment that you can use to isolate those muscle groups. But on the other hand, the light weight / high rep work outs will help you tone up and give some endurance-just no stegnth or mass.