Bought some Stuff today - few questions

flower

You wrote: I have a problem with the left side of my tank my BTA is in under a rock, he has been there from day 1 - a sorta have to work around her.

Oh I hear you on that! I work around my anemone too, never disturb a happy anemone... They commit sushi in the power heads to punish us. If the rock must stay as is to keep it happy...it's their world right.

meowzer

I have to agree to disagree with you Flower......I am not going to let an anemone dictate my aquascape.....when we re-did the 225G, we had to move the bta in order to get things how I wanted them.....this bta also was on the same 2 rocks from day 1.....we very carefully kept these rocks together at all times....the anemone was never stressed, and to this day...is still happily living on the same rocks
SOOO it can be done

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions/20#post_3343646
You wrote: I have a problem with the left side of my tank my BTA is in under a rock, he has been there from day 1 - a sorta have to work around her.

Oh I hear you on that! I work around my anemone too, never disturb a happy anemone... They commit sushi in the power heads to punish us. If the rock must stay as is to keep it happy...it's their world right.
Right on Flower - She is really cool, I have meowzer to that for her survival, she noticed in a picture that it looked bleached, i got more lights and she is darkening up. The clowns love her too. Man my fish a really afraid of the changes, she how they do later on. I am 85% happy with what I have - I think another 10 or 15 pounds on the right, it should be set. I really want to get some SPS corals. Also see my leather coral - I think it is too big for this tank. Could I move it on top of the live rock. What do you think.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions/20#post_3343650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions/20#post_3343646

Right on Flower - She is really cool, I have meowzer to that for her survival, she noticed in a picture that it looked bleached, i got more lights and she is darkening up. The clowns love her too. Man my fish a really afraid of the changes, she how they do later on. I am 85% happy with what I have - I think another 10 or 15 pounds on the right, it should be set. I really want to get some SPS corals. Also see my leather coral - I think it is too big for this tank. Could I move it on top of the live rock. What do you think.

The big round leather??? They like light and good flow...They get HUGE fast. The good news is they frag easy just cut it up with scissors and leave it's pieces in a low flow area wth rubble rock and they will attach. Any little pieces left behind on the original rock will also become a leather coral. Then try to sell or trade them off.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions/20#post_3343714

The big round leather??? They like light and good flow...They get HUGE fast. The good news is they frag easy just cut it up with scissors and leave it's pieces in a low flow area wth rubble rock and they will attach. Any little pieces left behind on the original rock will also become a leather coral. Then try to sell or trade them off.
I'd leave it....I like it, and it seems to have a large area
Hey Flower......have you ever fragged a leather? I was thinking of cutting a piece off my leather tree.....it is getting humongous (I'm scared to though)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions/20#post_3343718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions/20#post_3343714

I'd leave it....I like it, and it seems to have a large area
Hey Flower......have you ever fragged a leather? I was thinking of cutting a piece off my leather tree.....it is getting humongous (I'm scared to though)

I was going to, I hated the idea as well...I was told they can't feel it. I had a really big (dinner plate size) Yellow Tonga Leather. I had a video showing how to do it that I think Spanko downloaded for me to watch. That's the scissors I was talking about. My tank was shocked by the broken heater and killed it...as most of all my coral at the time.

deejeff442

hey al i have a monti like yours on the left side of your tank.it is one of my fovorite in my tank.i have two cleaner shrimp that sit on the backside.i love how it retracts as the shrimp walk across it .not really a nice color but its neat to watch it go to leather smooth then flare out.i also love my new xmass camera

al&burke

I think you are refering to my leather coral, yes my shrimp does the same, it is a cool coral. I have a monti cap in the middle of the tank it was just a small piece when I got it - it is really growing well. Thanks for having a look and your camera takes nice shots.

deejeff442

duh thats a toad stool right?
i love the new camera,100 hrs of video on the new cards now a days.i just caught the shrimp on the front of the monti.pretty cool.

al&burke

I can't spell any of these dam coral names and some fish - I have to buy things that I can spell, I hate walking into this coral shop up here its really nice but they don't label anything - I feel a little intimidated because i think I know their names but I don't want to sound like I don't. If they put labels on things with prices I would walk out with alot more. And pronunciation is another thing.

deejeff442

what is the shrimp on?
i thought it was an encrusting montipora?
i know what you mean al.there are way too many corals around.my lfs has the $25,$35,$50,$75-tanks so i dont have to ask what exactly they are.although when i get them home i have to look them up on how to care for them.

deejeff442

no definitly not a polyp.i need to get a pic when the "harries" are down.it looks like a piece of leather ,its flat not tubes like a polyp.i love the coral.probably in the morning when its flat.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions/20#post_3343771
no definitly not a polyp.i need to get a pic when the "harries" are down.it looks like a piece of leather ,its flat not tubes like a polyp.i love the coral.probably in the morning when its flat.
Pink star polyps and green star polyps have flat mats.....I almost think it could be pink start polyps.....there are no tubes just a mat...smooth looking too

al&burke

Thanks meowzer - I am really happy today - I am very happy with this tank I just checked all the numbers, my nitrates are 2.5, the only one out of wack a bit I guess, Where would you put a clam in this tank. I am thinking the shelf on the left.

al&burke

3 - 39watt 10K T5HO
3 - 39 watt ancitinic T5HO
Crocea Clam or a Derasa Clam
I am thinking the crocea does not get as big as the Derasa.