Brought Home The Bigger Setup Today!!

funkyman

Thanx JayC. I'll keep the posts coming, that's for sure.
Maurice, I got the aluminum from where I work. We process lighting material there. A convenient perk now that I'm doing the saltwater gig. I knew after 22 years it would pay off one day.

kdfrosty

A few questions about the reflective aluminum...
Where did you get it? home Depot? Lowes? Lighting store?
Was it expensive?
How is attached to the inside of your canopy?
How did you cut it? What tools were required?

funkyman

I brought the material home from work. It's anodized aluminum lighting grade material with a 98% reflevtivity. It comes with a peelable masking to protect the finish until it's ready to be used. We have industrial shears that we use to cut it with, but it's only .020" thick, so you could cut it with hand shears if you want to. A good score with a utility knife also works, but takes a lot of effort and patience.
I attached them with #6 x 1/2" stainless steel marine screws. I didn't want to use anything that was going to corrode. I couldn't find any in the stores though, so I had to order them online.

funkyman

48x24x24. I picked up the new reef ready 120 today. Once I pick up the 40 gallon sump I bought this weekend, I'll get to delve into the wonderful world of plumbing. :notsure:

funkyman

Most likely. I can't think of anything I'll need it for anymore. I bought it new in April. I believe I still have all the original packaging in the garage attic.

jayc

Originally Posted by funkyman
48x24x24. I picked up the new reef ready 120 today. Once I pick up the 40 gallon sump I bought this weekend, I'll get to delve into the wonderful world of plumbing.
:notsure:
K, thanks.
Josh

funkyman

I got some work done on the stand today. For some ungodly reason, the previous owner decided it was a good idea to put all metal electricl in the cabinet. He made a DIY power strip out of common metal electricl components and an extension chord. I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, but it wouldn't have been that much money to get all the componentry made from plastic. It made me too uneasy, so I tore it out.
I ordered 2 American DJ power centers that will replace the conduit mess. Each power center will have 8 connections for a toal of 16.

funkyman

Since this will be in the family room where some of us sleep from time to time
, I thought it would be a good idea to sound proof the inside of the cabinet to some extent. I had heard of products such as Quiet Kote which is used for car audio applications, but the stuff's $14 a can. That doesn't sound like much, until you figure out you need 6 cans or so to do the whole cabinet. Each can does a certain number of square feet.
I had a few rolls os rubber exercise mat I bought for $3.88 each at a closeout store. I originally bought it to line my tool drawers with. Luckily I never got around to doing that. I cut it up, stapled it in, and viola.....sound dampening for about $12.
"Before":

celacanthr

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!

Well you probably will still be able to hear stuff so I will take the tank! :hilarious

lennon

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!

Well you probably will still be able to hear stuff so I will take the tank! :hilarious
How noisy can it get. I am going to get a 55 gallon and of course the LFS said it was not noisy at all. Money is not an issue..so I can get whatever the quietest equipment is...but it will be in the den and we tend to always fall asleep there
Is this going to interfere...
Sorry to but in to this thread..but I just had to know please

willcon

lenin just go with a blueline ext. pump, its very quite and very nice quality. other than that there isnt much noise at all.

funkyman

Well, I'm still fighting the fight with this setup. I'm currently at a stand still waiting for parts to put the lights back together with. I have them on order, and I wish I knew what the hold up was. :mad:
I have in the meantime found a sump. It's a 40 gallon from a 200 gallon setup someone local took down. It needs some work such as dividers and bubble traps.
Has anyone here done any work with acrylic? The sump came with a drain box, which is great. However, there are no slots in the bottom of it to let the water out with. Evidentally it's supposed to overflow over the top........which I don't want. If I drilled holes in the bottom of this box, water would exit out the bottom like I want right?
I also don't have the proper tools (router and such) to make the overflow "teeth" in the top of the compartment dividers I'll need to install. Would drilled holes suffice for that purpose as well (instead of the teeth)
:notsure:

funkyman

I haven't had a lot of time the last few weeks, but I've made "some" progress. All I really have to do still is the plumbing, and I finally found the "discontinued" :scared: parts I needed to get my lights to work.
One modification I did to the tank was the overflows. I'd heard the teeth in the All Glass tanks could be restricting when high flow was a goal, so I got rid of them. I dremelled them out, and replaced them with plastic gutter gaurd.
Cut 'em all across the top first: