Bug of the Week - Cirolanid Isopods

ijeh99

Does it like human hands? I haven't died yet . . . I guess I should make sure I wash my hands more often.

bang guy

Originally posted by ijeh99
Does it like human hands? I haven't died yet . . . I guess I should make sure I wash my hands more often.

There have been many cases of them attaching to hobbiests.

jarvis

As if there wasnt enough bad things that can be in your tank. Theres all sort of strange stuff climbing out of the rocks. I just won the apetisia battle. Now I am leaving the sixline wrasse to make meals of piramid snails. Im hearing small clicking noizes some during the day, but mostly at night. No deaths known so far, hope its just a pistol shrimp.
I just ordered some leather corals. I belive that I read somewhere that there is some type of critter that can hitch a ride with them that likes to burrow in the base of the coral. Anyone know what I am looking for? Or was it just one of the latenight message board searching times when all the stories seem to run together?

myescape0

Originally posted by Fin Follower Ed
yeah im pretty sure if those are in my tank i'm blaming bang guy, he started this whole imaginary epidmic.

Actually you wiil need to blame me...I started it by asking what these critters are that I got off of two of my fish and tons of them off my filter cloth on my skilter 400. Sorry. Just be careful what you bring home from the beach:(

reb

This is poor. Last week LFS said these were good and they needed to be in my tank if I wanted to keep a mandarin gobie alive. Says a lot about my LFS.

Just stand in the water down off south florida after dark (bare legged) . They'll bore into you ,and you can examine them and what they do for real.Heh,Heh Heh. Hey up north I work the offshore fish boats in the spring you should see what there brethern do to a forty pound codfish holes right through them you could stick a straw through.

fishman830

for these honey's i like to use settling torches ;) no just kidding i just hope i never ever ever have to deal with one

myescape0

:) I changed my filter clothes and only got 2 this time.Maybe they are all getting sucked into the skilter filter.Last time I had more critters on the clothes then I have fish.They were covered literally.

joker

I had one attach to my Mandarin just beside his Dorsal fin. The only way that I could get it off was with a hemostat (sp). put my Mandarin in shock for awhile, but he survived nicely. Then, the other week, I was checking the seals on my HOB overflow and found one in the prefilter. Both went to septic tank hell.
Thanks Bang Guy, for this post, more people need to be aware of these things.
;)

jeepboy

Arrggh, add me to the list of infected tanks. I added new rock yesterday and saw a big pill looking bug swim out of a rock and into another. Just when I think this hobby is going well I find another problem. LOL

cimpow137

if i find any i murder them and let my shrimp eat them muwhahaha he finds them to be quite tasty. hes caught 2 on his own and i caught one and killed it and fed it to him. i found another this weekend but it was under the sand and i put the tweesers down there and my shrimp attacked them and by the time the sand settled he was gone.... i hope he is dead