Bug of the Week - Cirolanid Isopods

daredevil

What else do they come on besides LR? I can't believe one of these things being 3 feet! R u sure Bang? That seems impossible. Anyway thanks for the info. If one bites you will it go in ur skin? If u go 2 the beach could they get u? I was all happy to go to the beach now but I think I will just tan... ON LAND!!! Srry for all these questions but now I am scared. Also how can u check too see if u have them and If u kill them all will they be gone or do they have eggs or something? Thanks

aarone

holy crap! that thing is huge....i remember being young i saw what they called a sea ---- roach at the zoo....it looked similar to that.
What does that thing eat? whatever it can catch?

bang guy

Originally posted by aarone
What does that thing eat? whatever it can catch?

If you'll look closely you'll see that the guy only has 3 fingers left.
j/k - the Isopod pictured eats detritus.

lionfish28

:thinking: That reminds me of "Godzilla v.s. Destroya"!LOL
Destroya was one of those little bugs untill it morphed!

jb rekit

What would you consider to be some of the safest/ screened LR? I am pretty sure almost all of my 60 - 70#'s is FIJI (not sure of about 5-8#'s). I am planning on getting some more LR and would rather get something that has the least likely chance of having those types of hitchikers.
Thanks
John

crusinlow

Hey any of you with infected tanks ever get one latched on to your hand or arm?And is it possible for them to burrow into a human arm since they like blood?

benter

uh oh i think i used too have one of those in my tank i havent seen him in awhile though and by the way i called him zippy we thought he was cool now we are glad he is gone :eek:

clown52

j/k - the Isopod pictured eats detritus.
Dats a lota poo!
I don't think I will ever go to the beach again.
These guys would have made a great horror movie in the 80s. You know kinda like Munchies of the sea or something.

firefish21

I noticed some bugs on my LR the other day and came across a few posts about the dreaded Cirolanid Isopods, so I decided to do a search.
Ok, the bugs I have look like the picture I have posted... I think. I cant get a really good look at them though. They scurry in and out of my LR really fast. I do not believe they have big eyes like that though.
I will try to get another look at them again tonight.
But, if they are like the one in the pic I posted, are they harmless?
Do the eyes on the Cirolanid Isopods really stand out like that?
....really nervous now

Also, pic 2 looks similar

bang guy

The bug on the left looks to me like a terestrial Isopod called a Pillbug.
If your Isopod looks like that but with small eyes it might be an Aegis Isopod, but not a Cirolanid. Cirolanids and the big black eyes.

fishieness

holy crap!!! 3 feet!!!! I am NEVER going swimming again!!! can you imagin somehting looking like that that is 3 feet like with like foot long pinches coming up to you and jsut latching on to you?!
now im scared to go buy live rock
lol
interesting though
thanks bang!

lamaface

bang... could you post the pics again pls...i can't seem to see them... thanks
Where do these things live??? i wanted to go diving in Maritius but if these 3ft monsters live there.. i'll be happier on the beach or in the pool... i dont want to die by getting eatin by a big bug...

jimmyg

I have some Grass pipe that will destroy red bugs and some other pests. If you think they might work let me know and I'll set you up with some.

speg

For those of you with the book Marine Invertibrates by Ron Shimek, there is a good picture of these 'fish lice' attached to a fish... check it out if you havent already.

speg

I had a few chitons in my tank that hitchhiked their way onto my rock.. removed them VERY quickly... they were eating my coralline algae at a very fast rate.. and the little buggers would actually turn the color of the coralline they were eating so it was really hard to see them.