Building my 56 gallon Column reef tank

btldreef

I have hundreds of them in the 155, and yes, they definitely breed like rabbits. I have caught my hermits attacking them now and then. Yes, they don't get any bigger than that.

monsinour

I check on the little pepp that I got from SWF that lives in my sump every night. If I see him, I give him a pellet to eat. The past 2 nights, when he comes out to eat, he is almost completely white with barely any red stripes on him. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

spanko

Could be getting ready to molt, but more than likely he has a nutritional deficiency. Also check your SG. Crustaceans don't like to be at low salinity. Target natural seawater at 1.025.

monsinour

My SG is always 1.025 or more depending on when I top off. I feed him some kind of pellets with garlic in them. He is in my sump so any uneaten food makes its way down there. What more can I do for him? Add a piece of shrimp?

monsinour

Spotted him today and he was all red stripey. Then again, he was pale when he came from the part of the sump where the skimmer is and he was all red stripey today when he came from under a rock in the fuge section. Does light have anything to do with their color? There is no light in the skimmer section while there is light in the fuge section.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/880#post_3374791
Spotted him today and he was all red stripey. Then again, he was pale when he came from the part of the sump where the skimmer is and he was all red stripey today when he came from under a rock in the fuge section. Does light have anything to do with their color? There is no light in the skimmer section while there is light in the fuge section.

I put 5 in my seahorse tank, mine are red stripey with a black tail...any idea how big they get? I thought they stayed small but I see one I have is almost the size of a cleaner shrimp. I have not found a single aiptasia since I put them in the tank, I was finding 2 a day to zap with Joes juice.

monsinour

Hey all, long time no post.
It turns out that the mexican turbos I got from SWF.com happen to like all the red algea in my tank. It is almost all gone. I have a few stalks of the red bubble stuff left but they are in sad shape. The bonsi trees, the red leafless tree like stuff, is gone and there is no sign of any of it growing back. I have also noticed that I have some green bubble algea growing on a cleaner clam as well as on a rock. Due to the lack of red algea and these bubbles appearing I think its time I get an emerald crab. The copepod population is tremendous and we are ready for the mandarin. All of the other fish are fine and I think I will be moving the peppermint from the sump to the DT tonight or tomorrow. Not sure how the skunk will react to this, but i need the pepp in there to start tackling the aiptasia.
The blue tubs I got a while ago have spread off of the plug and onto the rock doubling in #s. The one little zoo has sprouted a baby and looks to be doing well. The bubble coral appears to be doing well, but it has some kind of brownish film on it I think. The mushroom I got a while back moved and left a little piece of itself behind that has turned into a baby mushroom. All those gorgons (sp?) have doubled in size and have new branches. My pulsing xenia has overgrown so much I have to find a way to get it out of the tank and pass it along to someone else. I started with 2 heads and now there has to be more than 30. It is almost completely covering one rock and moving onto another. It seems to be 'suffocating' some zoos as they dont appear as happy as they used to.
All in all, aside from the cool red algea, my tank is fine and I have no new additions (been real broke as of late). For fathers day, my hope of getting the LEDs for my zoa tank have been dashed as the missus hasnt said I cant answer the door when UPS arrives. Looks like I will have to get them myself when we can afford it.
@ AL : how is the frag rack? Working well for ya?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/880#post_3391139
It turns out that the mexican turbos I got from SWF.com happen to like all the red algea in my tank. It is almost all gone. I have a few stalks of the red bubble stuff left but they are in sad shape. The bonsi trees, the red leafless tree like stuff, is gone and there is no sign of any of it growing back. I have also noticed that I have some green bubble algea growing on a cleaner clam as well as on a rock. Due to the lack of red algea and these bubbles appearing I think its time I get an emerald crab. The copepod population is tremendous and we are ready for the mandarin. All of the other fish are fine and I think I will be moving the peppermint from the sump to the DT tonight or tomorrow. Not sure how the skunk will react to this, but i need the pepp in there to start tackling the aiptasia.
The blue tubs I got a while ago have spread off of the plug and onto the rock doubling in #s. The one little zoo has sprouted a baby and looks to be doing well. The bubble coral appears to be doing well, but it has some kind of brownish film on it I think. The mushroom I got a while back moved and left a little piece of itself behind that has turned into a baby mushroom. All those gorgons (sp?) have doubled in size and have new branches. My pulsing xenia has overgrown so much I have to find a way to get it out of the tank and pass it along to someone else. I started with 2 heads and now there has to be more than 30. It is almost completely covering one rock and moving onto another. It seems to be 'suffocating' some zoos as they dont appear as happy as they used to.
All in all, aside from the cool red algea, my tank is fine and I have no new additions (been real broke as of late). For fathers day, my hope of getting the LEDs for my zoa tank have been dashed as the missus hasnt said I cant answer the door when UPS arrives. Looks like I will have to get them myself when we can afford it.
All that update and no pictures..

What LEDs are you talking about? A new light system or moonlite type?

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/880#post_3391139
Monsi, I too am just back, haven't had a chance to put it together but it looks really good. Been busy

monsinour

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is always good to be welcomed back so warmly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/880#post_3391156
All that update and no pictures..

What LEDs are you talking about? A new light system or moonlite type?
I have that 10g up in our bedroom with the frag rack in it waiting for lights to start the zoo farm. I wanted to DIY a LED setup over it and the stuff to do that is available online for a relatively cheap price. I know I wont be getting it as the missus hasnt said to not answer the door when UPS comes. SO I now have to order them on my own when we have the 'spare' money. Right now, all we save is going towards our summer vacation to Wildwoods NJ at the end of July. We are hoping that on the beaches will be some shells and some crabs or something for the kids to look at and collect. There is plenty of other things to do around there as well, but the plan so far is to spend 2 days at the beach.
Once I get an opportunity, I will snap off some pics.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/880#post_3391231
Thanks for the warm welcome. It is always good to be welcomed back so warmly.
I have that 10g up in our bedroom with the frag rack in it waiting for lights to start the zoo farm. I wanted to DIY a LED setup over it and the stuff to do that is available online for a relatively cheap price. I know I wont be getting it as the missus hasnt said to not answer the door when UPS comes. SO I now have to order them on my own when we have the 'spare' money. Right now, all we save is going towards our summer vacation to Wildwoods NJ at the end of July. We are hoping that on the beaches will be some shells and some crabs or something for the kids to look at and collect. There is plenty of other things to do around there as well, but the plan so far is to spend 2 days at the beach.
Once I get an opportunity, I will snap off some pics.
Ohh, enjoy the days at the beach. I went there last week and had a blast. The hike to the water has gotten VERY long. There weren't too many whole seashells, but plenty of algae (it wasn't too bad but more than normal). I've always liked Wildwood (#1 it's pretty close to me).

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/880#post_3391283
Ohh, enjoy the days at the beach. I went there last week and had a blast. The hike to the water has gotten VERY long. There weren't too many whole seashells, but plenty of algae (it wasn't too bad but more than normal). I've always liked Wildwood (#1 it's pretty close to me).
Algea as in seaweed or algea as in "i dont want to step in that icky stuff"? Might have to get the kids water shoes if its the latter.