Building my 56 gallon Column reef tank

monsinour

I dont think its a worm either. I also dont think that there are any other hitchhikers in there that would take out a pepp. I have lotsa amphipods that are very large, about quarter to half inch in size, and those would be the first things to get eaten. Being it was the outgoing pepp to get offed first, i have a feeling it was the fire shrimp just protecting his area. Once the shrimp was dead, everything else ate it. As to why the other died, you got me as it ate the night before and was fine up until i started the water change.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/420#post_3323401
I dont think its a worm either. I also dont think that there are any other hitchhikers in there that would take out a pepp. I have lotsa amphipods that are very large, about quarter to half inch in size, and those would be the first things to get eaten. Being it was the outgoing pepp to get offed first, i have a feeling it was the fire shrimp just protecting his area. Once the shrimp was dead, everything else ate it. As to why the other died, you got me as it ate the night before and was fine up until i started the water change.
This was my original thought, but all many think that the shrimp should be innocent until proven guilty, lol

monsinour

So would this be a good experiment:
Get 1 pepp and place it into the tank and watch it for the first few hours to be sure it is doing fine. Then feed with mysis, on the genrous side, to be sure there is some "cleaning" that needs to be done and see what happens to the pepp?
Not that I want to sacrifice a shrimp to another one, but pepps for me are only $8 and the sexy are more and the skunks are even more. I would rather flush $8 down the toilet as opposed to $22 or $35.
Should I get more than one pepp for this experiment?
BTW, those following the thread, the fighting conch is doing fine and the margarita snails are eating the crap off the glass like there is no tomorrow. 3 margaritas seem to be plenty as the only piece of glass with algea film on it is the back and I cant really see it due to the paint. It is cool to see where they have been due to the "eat" marks left in the algea film on the glass. Now if only someone would get hungry for the crap that is on the rocks. LOL

monsinour

If I am feeling better today, maybe I will get a shrimp. I doubt it though as I am sick and am having a hard time taking care of the kids. Good thing the wife only works all day, LOL.

mylady

Um, let's just say it is not even possible for me to become pregnant again, so no worries there. Believe me.
I have two possible theories, you've heard the murder/suicide one of course, but I've also thought of the possibilty of the last one suffering from PTSD. Perhaps someone did harm the first and the second one witnessed the carnage and simply could not live with the scene replaying over and over in his mind. So we'll see if this new shrimp is more emotionally sound.

monsinour

The second one had a little bit o damage to him i think. It looked like the shell was flaking off behind the eyes on the "hump" on the back. I could be wrong too. Anywho, here is a video of the tank:
http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/tomjonessinger/?action=view&current=tankvid.mp4
As you watch the begining notice the xenia. Is this too much flow for them? I have no idea where the sudden down burst is coming from. And yea, arent the clowns such camera hams? When I get close to the tank, they always swim infront of my face making sure I notice them no matter what. I know there is some green hair algea in the tank and I have been working on getting it removed. It is a slow process. The pepp shrimp made it to lights out and looked fine. I havent seen it since though. I have looked but to no avail. The cardinal that you see in the video is the "aggressive" one. I talked with the LFS guy and he said what I though he would. "its odd for a cardinal like the PJs to be agressive. If you would feel more comfortable, bring that one back and we can get you a different one." It has shown agression to the clowns once, and is constantly scaring off the other PJ. This is the plan for next saturday. Take the cardinal back and get another one. Also get the firefish at the same time if they are in stock. The only reason why they werent in stock this week is their supplier is charging $45 for them and he said he was not going to pay that for that common fish. The QT should be ready for inhabitants at that time. I got a replacement heater and the tank is doing fine now.
FW question. My daughter has the small FW tank. In it are 2 albino cory cats, 2 neons, an otisinclus, and a golden mystery snail. One of the neons, the smaller one, has something going on on its belly. It almost looks like someone took a bite out of it. It is swimming around and looking for food, so I assume all is well. The LFS guy said it could be some illness and to watch the fish over the next few days. If it dies to get it out of the tank before the cory cats get a chance to munch on it. The effected area is pinkish and just doesnt look right. The rest of the tank inhabitants are acting normal. Well if playing dead is normal for a mystery snail. That thing floats, then sinks, then climbs the glass eating, then floats, then sinks, then climbs the glass. It is one wierd snail. It seems like once a week my daughter thinks its dead cuz of the floating. I always tell her, just wait, it will be climbing the glass soon. Sure enough, within an hour or so she comes down and says, "you were right dad." Thoughts?

levinjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/420#post_3324179
FW question. My daughter has the small FW tank. In it are 2 albino cory cats, 2 neons, an otisinclus, and a golden mystery snail. One of the neons, the smaller one, has something going on on its belly. It almost looks like someone took a bite out of it. It is swimming around and looking for food, so I assume all is well. The LFS guy said it could be some illness and to watch the fish over the next few days. If it dies to get it out of the tank before the cory cats get a chance to munch on it. The effected area is pinkish and just doesnt look right. The rest of the tank inhabitants are acting normal. Well if playing dead is normal for a mystery snail. That thing floats, then sinks, then climbs the glass eating, then floats, then sinks, then climbs the glass. It is one wierd snail. It seems like once a week my daughter thinks its dead cuz of the floating. I always tell her, just wait, it will be climbing the glass soon. Sure enough, within an hour or so she comes down and says, "you were right dad." Thoughts?
sounds like internal parisight but i dont think neons get that oh and why do you think they call them mystery snails

monsinour

I did some maintenance on the tank and noticed the shrimp made it through the night. He has a nifty little hiding spot far away from the fire shrimp. So far that I dont think I have ever seen the fire shrimp venture that far from his "home" so I think it will be safe for now. I cleaned up some of the algae on the rock and noticed I have an interesting clam. It looks like one of those expensive/pretty ones but I cant be sure. It is "face" down on the rock and it opens up pretty frequintly. When it closes, it closes all the way shut in a fast manner. I will try to get a pic for those wondering what it is, like me.
The Xenia has been ok and I moved the PHs during cleaning since no one said anything about the flow and that downburst just looked awful for it. I keep seeing the "agressive" PJ going after the other one. Should I swap it out sooner than this coming saturday?

monsinour

Still looking for advice on the swap out. Here is a horible pic of the clam. I will see if I can get a better one tomorrow.

monsinour

Just to let you all know, the pepp is still alive and has molted some time in the past. I found part of the molt today and saw the pepp in his spot. It looks like things are going fine and this weekend we are set to get a purple firefish as well as some kind of shrimp. Not sure if we are to get the 2x sexy or get another pepp. I have this fear for the sexy without a place to hide for them. I am leaning towards the second pepp.

monsinour

The fire shrimp molted last night and I spotted the pepp so that is good news. I called around to the LFS and no one has any purple firefish in stock. Is there something going on with that fish? It seems really odd that no one has that fish in stock. I am about to check online to see what I can find and when I could get it.

gemmy

My LFS's all have them too bad it's like at least 5 hours for you. I have ordered most of my livestock from this site and one other. I have been more satisfied with their livestock than with my LFS's.