calcium reactor

fishking

should i get a calcium reactor, what r the benefits, does it help me save money over a long time, and is it possible to overdose

jugger

OMG from what i have read their a gods gift to the hobbiest....are you sick of manualy doesing cal and alk on a day or even weekly basis????

nas19320

Won't a calcium reactor only add calcium and don't they do best in tandem with a Kalk reactor for pH stabilization?

fishking

Originally posted by jugger
OMG from what i have read their a gods gift to the hobbiest....are you sick of manualy doesing cal and alk on a day or even weekly basis????

oh believe me it would make my life easier

dburr

once i get my MH im goin to buy three clams and a lot of other coral
Once all this is in place yes, you may need one. Of course, i'm assuming "corals" are the stoney types.
Won't a calcium reactor only add calcium and don't they do best in tandem with a Kalk reactor for pH stabilization?
No and yes. It will add cal, alk and trace elements. It's basicly dead coral in the media. Dead coral once lived (duh) and of course took all it needed from the ocean. Your just disolving it back into the water colume.
But, it does lower the PH. The kalk will counter act that by raising back up.
Or you may do the drip method.
BTW my cal went from 250-300 to 400 by using crushed oyster shells in a large filter box.
The last I read, this wasn't proven. It was just about dis-proven. I guess time will tell.

jugger

Originally posted by Kip4130
They have to be the special magical oyster shells guys.
You can find them in the fairy land of ich curing plants.

LOL....i need to find that land

jugger

damnit i miss reason st everytime and always end up taking nonsense rd and that takes me into nutsoville....but im happy there i guess....some day you should visit

reefnut

IMO I would drip kalk until your calcium demand becomes higher than the kalk can give you... main reason is kalk is cheap and a good way to maintain ca/alk.
On the other hand ca reactors are very low maintenance and cheap to run... very good addition.
or you can do both after your demands warrant it.

bigmac

Originally posted by beaslbob
BTW my cal went from 250-300 to 400 by using crushed oyster shells in a large filter box.

Bob, Unless you some how manage to get the PH below 7 in your magic oyster filled box its not going to effect the Ca one bit.

K

kistheeze

What about a diluted muriatic acid dosing system into the crushed oyster shells that is timed to drip at the exact same rate as the kalk?
Ghetto calcium reactor? Or just an insane idea?

enomadra

While we are all talking about Calcium reactors, it seems like I always see fittings on them for the hook up of C02 systems. Do you have to run a C02 system if you are running a Calcium reactor?, and do you need a controller to run a calcium reator?
I am very interested in them but kind of confused :notsure: as to what all the equipment is that I would need. Can some one suggest a complete system that is plug and play:D

enomadra

WOW! excellent article ReefNut. Thank that really cleared things up for me. Now I have a much better understanding of Calcium Reactors. Sounds like some work to get it set up, but once it is going it sound easy to maintain.:)

bigmac

Originally posted by beaslbob
really but the ca did go up. and did not go up in another tank with no shells. Same amount of tap water added to both. So must be something going on.

Bob, I'm not saying the Ca didn't go up, I'm just saying your oyster shells had nothing to do with it. There's just no way it can happen.