calcium reactor

bang guy

Originally posted by cincyreefer
This might be why people who dose two part supplements will have to add much more carbonate than calcium.

Not to argue, that has just never been my experience. When using B-ionic for several years I did have to make an occational adjustment and it was usually to bump up Carbonate. The bump was about once a year or so and closely matched what I would expect from Magnesium substitution during calcification.
ie, on a 125 gal (60 gallon refugium) a once a year bump of about 4 tsp of baking soda.
Similar 'adjustments' have had to be made on my current system and I mostly dose limewater.
just to add a bit more information - I'll take a pic tomorrow of a 10 gallon refugium that has absolutely no macroalgae. It is completely coralline encrusted. It proved absolutely nothing but it supports that low light encourages coralline.

cincyreefer

Kip- I am confused??? I dont see Bang Guys post where it says what you quoted. Maybe I just missed it.
Bang- I guess our experiences are just different. And about the coraline... I don't think that the lighting really effects coraline as much as the Ca/Alk/Mag levels. That was just my guess as to why people might get more coraline in refugiums. Although I can say I have only seen the maroon or real dark red algae grow on shaded parts of rocks, or under extremely low lighting. Do you agree?

neoreef

Bob, you say Ca went up when you added oyster shells. But now it's down. You've been adding tap and not changing out saltwater, and growing macros for years, so none of that is new. Just the shells.
Perhaps you have exhausted the existing shell's ability to give up Ca.
Why don't you try this to answer our curiosity about your tank.
As is, measure your tank's pH, alkalinity and Ca tonight after lights out. Write it down.
Measure again in the morning before lights on. Write it down.
You could do that for a couple of days.
Change out your old shells for fresh shells, and measure the 3 parameters again evening and morning for a few days.
Let's see what you get.
My hypothesis is that you get the big pH swing because your alk is low and your water is not buffered. so the CO2 makes your water acidic. I think your Ca and your alk will go up from the first day you add the new shells, because your acidic water will dissove the calcium carbonate, and then will plateau as your alkalinity(carbonate/bicarbonate concentrations) increases and you again buffer your water, thus stabilizing pH and narrowing the swing.
I would love to see some real data, Bob.
Best of Luck,
Kathy

cincyreefer

Kip- Ok.... I was just wondering I missed something that important. I guess I should mention as to why i might use more alk than calcium when dosing. I keep my alk a little higher than most probably do... I normally run around 10 or 11 and 380ish. Do you know of any problems running a little higher alk? I was just hoping to cut out some possible precipitation, but I am not having any problems with a high pH yet.

cincyreefer

Hmmm... SPS are one of the few things in this hobby I don't have much experience with. My alk was going up to 13 for a little bit but I was having trouble with the pH... It woulnd't go below 8.5 which is a little too high for my comfort. So i have lowered the alk and it has stayed pretty constant. Maybe i should have tried raising the calcium more when the alk was higher? Do you think that alone could have helped the pH fall a little... the mag was 1300ish.

cincyreefer

Kip- That was what I was worried about. Glad I didn't just start adding more calcium.
Skilos- Good response. Have you ever had a problem with phosphate from the media? What brand media do you use?

cincyreefer

Yeah I have heard a few horror stories about phosphate and calcium reactors... That is why I am kinda reluctant about recommending them or even using one right now. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with the Koralith media, but it is quite a bit more expensive, isn't it?

golfish

I have not heard of anyone having a problem with the Koralith media, but it is quite a bit more expensive, isn't it?

I think the extra cost is worth it. ARM melts way to fast and that means more work refilling the reactor. I like Koralith, I switched about 2-3 years ago, it seemed to clean up the bad algaes.

bang guy

Although I can say I have only seen the maroon or real dark red algae grow on shaded parts of rocks, or under extremely low lighting. Do you agree?

Yep - 100% behind you on that.

bang guy

Originally posted by Kip4130
in all seriousness... i think bang retracted his post to elaborate via another post

Yep, you're a smart guy Kip :) Sorry for the confusion. I believe I've solved the riddle but without any way to prove it there's just no reason to post it.

neoreef

In the absence of data, we know nothing. All else is conjecture.
Show me the numbers, Bob.
Best of luck,
Kathy

bang guy

Originally posted by beaslbob
From myoriginal post:
If I run a solution through filter paper and take out say 40 pounds of galloping elephants per minute, it seems entirely logical to me that something of the same size and shape say trotting hourses would also be also be filtered out.

I think the leap from ion exchange for copper to filtering elephants is an even bigger leap.
This is just bizzare.

jeepboy

I believe this is the definition you'd be looking for:
2 : based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers <anecdotal evidence>

neoreef

Hmmmmmmmm you mean it might actually be the magic oyster shells? :thinking:
I'll try to get a post up with actual measured data.
The water does flow through about 4-6" of shells. the crossection of the oyster shells is ~10"x3".
All fish are just fine. Corals are just ok. I did have a disasterous move a few weeks ago.
alk is 2.5 (not dkh) or 250 ppm calcium carbonate. That as I understand it is on the low side. 3-4 would be better?

Dear Bob,
250ppm Ca Carbonate? Is it 400 or 250 now? when was the last time you measured? What kit are you using?
Please, kindly show us the numbers.
Thank you,
Kathy

neoreef

Dear Bob,
I understand that your daytime pH is great! congrats.
I am really curious as to what your pH is first thing in the morning before the lights come on.
What is the alkalinity reading in the display tank?
Those are the numbers I would love to see.
Best of Luck,
Kathy

broomer5

Hmmmmmmmm you mean it might actually be the magic oyster shells?
I'll try to get a post up with actual measured data.
The water does flow through about 4-6" of shells. the crossection of the oyster shells is ~10"x3".
All fish are just fine. Corals are just ok. I did have a disasterous move a few weeks ago.
alk is 2.5 (not dkh) or 250 ppm calcium carbonate. That as I understand it is on the low side. 3-4 would be better?
Bob - your alkalinity numbers don't make any sense to me ?
Trying to figure out just what you have ??
What unit does your alkalinity test kit report ?
meq/l ?
ppm CaCO3 ?
dKH ?

bang guy

Originally posted by broomer5
I thought .50 meq/l was equal to 25.00 ppm CaCO3 ??

No really. .5 Meq/L = 25ppm Carbonate or BiCarbonate. It's tough to measure the Calcium carbonate in the water because the darn stuff just sinks to the bottom.

fender

I am tired of baking soda, pickling lime, B-Ionic and Sea-Chem products...
How many horses and how many elephants do I need to add to oyster shells to keep my parameters in line? My Calcium consumption is in the bunches and my Alk is in the neighborhood of lots. Will bringing my midnight pH higher than my noon help? Calcium has risen and I am sure it's the plastic airplane I put in last week because my other tank doesn't have this problem and my pH has stabalized too. I am sure if you add plastic airplanes to your tank you will have the same results. I think it is the plastic ions that are free floating in the solution that bonds with any stray copper from my RO water. I am also cultivating hair algae and have noticed my nitrates are at zero now that my tank is almost full. The fish are having trouble swimming and I can't see the back wall, but all paremeters are normal - with the exception of Alk. So in essence my tank is perfect thanks to the hair algea and airplane, I just need to know how many elephants and horses to keep my Alk up?